Chevy HHR Stuck Vavle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
first dealer refuses to fix his botched job. GM says they can not help. Whats to understand?

What happened to necessitate the need for a new timing change?

How long did you drive it after the timing chain was replaced?

Originally Posted By: Trav
You really need to read the whole thread to get the whole picture.
The story is too long to condense in a paragraph or two.

I have. We hear of a whole slew of problems, and then half way into it we hear about a timing chain issue. IMO, it would be easy to condense into a paragraph or two.
smile.gif

first dealer refuses to fix his botched job. GM says they can not help. Whats to understand?

As much as I hate to say it, this may be a good time to sit down with the head of the dealership and explain what is going on and that if you don't get satisfaction, a lawsuit will be following. They botched it, they have to fix it.

I will try to condense.

1.) Ignition Key stuck, broken key cylinder
2.) Rough Idle, compression 50LB off in #1 cylinder.
3.) Dealer #1 said bad exhaust Valve, unknown reason.
4.) Dealer # 1 would not replace head, sent off to "clean' and replace exhaust valve.
5.) Dealer # 1 said repaired after 2 weeks and test drove 30 miles.
6.) Dealer # 1 did not test drive and transmission solenoid 1 failed after I drove off of lot.
7.) Dealer # 1 replaced transmission solenoid after 5 more days.
8.) Still bad idle and now sounds like a diesel, took back to dealer #1 - 3 more times they said no problem don’t come back.

9.) Took to other Dealer # 2 said converter was bad due to rough idle and miss, they replace.
10.) Took to dealer # 2 three more time over 2 weeks, they said there is a problem and they don’t "reuse" heads they replace them, they think head was "cleaned" wrong so dealer # 1 fault. Engine may be damaged beyond repair because Dealer # 1 would not help after 1st repair.

11.) After 5 days at dealer # 2 GM refuse to let them take head off to find problem says diesel noise and rough idle normal.

12.) I asked GM to escalate case and that Dealer # 2 needs permission to find problem.

I hope I was clear...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

As much as I hate to say it, this may be a good time to sit down with the head of the dealership and explain what is going on and that if you don't get satisfaction, a lawsuit will be following. They botched it, they have to fix it.

I asked GM to do this for me because dealer that broke it said dont come back.

this has to be the worst service i have heard of. Good luck with your case, if they dont help you definitely have grounds for a lawsuit.

Time to get the consumer advocate or state attorneys general office involved for potential fraud. Nothing like a ambitious lawyer looking for a potentially news-worthy case.

Or, contact a local media outlet. Sometimes local TV stations have "ripoff report" lines so folks can call in about issues they've had with local businesses ripping them off. If it's a slow news day, you might get lucky.

Regardless, it's time to shine some sunlight onto the first dealer.

I asked GM to do this for me because dealer that broke it said dont come back.

I'd call up the front desk and ask to speak to the general manager. Either speak to him on the phone or make an appointment to see him. Explain to him what has been going on and that you expect them to make it right. Explain that should they fail to make it right (for free) you will be forced to file a lawsuit against the dealership for the cost of repairs to fix their work. Do it calmly and just state the facts. I'm not a lawyer, but if it does go to a lawsuit, you have a very good case based on what you've said here.

Last edited:
After 2 more weeks at dealership they replaced timing chain tensioner and cam sensor. GM refuses to do any more at this point. Total 2 months in shop.

And it still sounds like a diesel? If so I guess you are looking for an independent mechanics shop? That will be an expensive fix especially if the piston is damaged from the "cleaning". I would get a hold of GM corporate. This is unacceptable from a dealership. The worse they could do is ignore you. Sorry about your experience.

wow what an ordeal!

I thought my car woes were bad as of late, but this takes the cake. I'm glad you've managed to get rid of it.

Out of curiosity, what did you get to replace it?

FYI, they could not fix it. I need more room so I bought a silverado. Chevy truck are nothing like Chevy cars, built a little tougher.

FYI, they could not fix it. I need more room so I bought a silverado. Chevy truck are nothing like Chevy cars, built a little tougher.

Why in the world did you stick with the same company vehicle after all of that bad service?

BC.

I found a dealership I could depend on and I have another 100k warr. with free rental if needed. And the truck was cheap.

Good news is its been sold.

It was a failure on many levels. Manufacturing process, cheap parts. Lack of tech knowledge at dealership. Lack of concern by GM and dealership.. ETC..

Its a systemic failure and unacceptable..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back