Shotgun Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JPP
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
With all due respect: there is some bad info in this thread.

Would you be referencing this?
Quote:
I have droped deer thirty yards with number four birdshot. Most the shot at30-40 yard stayed tighter then two inches. It will kill intruter dirt nap dead in the next room over through the wall. Kill the wife and kids in the room behind him and continue to the neighbors. Try never to use any shot guñ in home.

Ken

That was a bizarre post LOL.

*** Must have been one of them new ultra, ultra, extra, extra full choke tubes! LOL
Not to mention, I'm not real sure about the legality of birdshot on deer. wow

JP

Equipped with laser sights....imagine how far out you can get birds.

From what I've read you have a right to kill an intruder in NY state as long as they are within your home. You cannot shoot them through the front door even if they are trying to break in....or if you do drag the body in before you call the police.

I've been doing a lot of youtube watching and I think a candy-cane load may be my best option... 3 rounds of # 7 1/2 of birdshot...maybe 1 1/8 oz shot and if that doesn't work 3 rounds of #4 buck....maybe holster the Springfield XD9 for backup.

Last edited:
Check with the range you want to use, the range might have ammo requirements/restrictions, some range require use of slugs some don't allow slugs etc...

For home defense, there's endless debate on slug vs 00 buck. Whatever you end up going with i recommend try and get low recoil shells so you can have a little better control.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
From what I've read you have a right to kill an intruder in NY state as long as they are within your home. You cannot shoot them through the front door even if they are trying to break in....or if you do drag the body in before you call the police.

I've been doing a lot of youtube watching and I think a candy-cane load may be my best option... 3 rounds of # 7 1/2 of birdshot...maybe 1 1/8 oz shot and if that doesn't work 3 rounds of #4 buck....maybe holster the Springfield XD9 for backup.
I've never understood the "well first I'll use lesser ammo and if that doesn't work I'll use the better stuff." I want the most advantage from the beginning. I hope you were just kidding about the drag the body inside stuff. If not you should probably consider just keeping a phone on you to call the police.

I've never understood the "well first I'll use lesser ammo and if that doesn't work I'll use the better stuff." I want the most advantage from the beginning. I hope you were just kidding about the drag the body inside stuff. If not you should probably consider just keeping a phone on you to call the police.

that's gonna look bad if he ever does shoot an intruder and lawyers see that post

That's a good point as well. I am trying to do lots of research and make an educated decision before I spend some money on some ammo. I appreciate the advice I've received so far...but it seems conflicting opinions are everywhere and I will have to use my best judgement.

The body through the door was meant in jest...I pray I never have to use any of my weapons in a defense situation.

I will give my local ranges a call and ask them what ammo they will let me shoot.

00 Buck. No low recoil. Reduced recoil means reduced muzzle energy. My wife handles 00 buck in 2 3/4" shells just fine... So can you.

If you have to pull that trigger in defense, MAKE IT COUNT! Don't hamstring yourself with bird shot or any of the other gimmicks. Often times bird shot won't penetrate a door. If it can't do that, then it can't penetrate the human body far enough to cause enough disruption to the bodies various systems to stop them reliably. There's a reason why 00 buck is considered the gold standard by many in the defense industry.

1) Buy low recoil Federal LE132-1B number one buckshot. I even gave you the part number.

2) Buy low recoil 00 buckshot. Either Federal, Winchester, or Remington will be fine

3) if worried about over penetration (kids, neighbors) use number 4 buckshot ( not number 4 birdshot, big difference)

4) Magnum or regular loads are not needed. Low recoil has enough power and penetration to do the job and offers faster follow up shots.

5) Number 1 buckshot is highly recommended in the police/tactical community because it offers 30 percent more effective wound trauma than 00 and 000 buckshot loads

6) NEVER use birdshot. It doesn't have the penetration to reliably stop an attacker. It may or may not work, but buckshot will reliably stop an attacker.

7) Since your gun has screw in chokes, use the cylinder choke or improved cylinder choke. Full choke is used for birdshot usually.

8) Take the time learning how to rack your shotgun. Most malfunctions are caused by short stroking or lightly manipulating the action. Slam the forend forward and backwards while working the action. It won't break.

3 rounds of # 7 1/2 of birdshot...and if that doesn't work 3 rounds of #4 buck....

If that doesn't work, you may be dead. You may not get more than one shot off, and considering the lives of you and your family may be at stake, that shot has to count and end the threat immediately.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

3 rounds of # 7 1/2 of birdshot...and if that doesn't work 3 rounds of #4 buck....

If that doesn't work, you may be dead. You may not get more than one shot off, and considering the lives of you and your family may be at stake, that shot has to count and end the threat immediately.

Tom NJ

***** ^ This! If, God forbid, you actually ever have to fire a weapon to save you or your family's life, why on earth would you start with a lesser load and keep working your way up to what you should have started with in the first place?? I want to STOP the threat as quickly as possible. Ya know?
In my years as a reserve deputy my plan was NEVER to draw a .22 pistol then if that didn't work I would work my way up to my Glock 17.
Just sayin

JP

Completely agree. If you're justified in using lethal force to defend your life, then USE IT! No warning shots (discharge of a firearm/use of lethal force when, by definition, it was not yet justified). No lesser ammo.

If your life is in danger, you should be using the most effective tool you can possibly use to save it. The effectiveness of the tool would include its ammunition selection.

Ok, I just bought some ammo. I got the following 2 3/4":

- 25 Remington Rifled Slugs
- 50 Remington #00 Buck
- 50 Federal #4 Buck
- 250 Remington #8 Shot 1oz Target Loads

After much research I decided #1 Buck looks to be a good HD choice. There are a few areas in my house where penetration could send it into another house ~40yards away...there are a lot of trees in between but the tree line isn't very thick. Unfortunately I could not find #1 Buck...nowhere to be found but I will check some stores around me. For now #4 Buck will be kept in the 870 for HD in the meantime.

I forgot to mention I also bought an oiling kit when I bought my 870 however I have to research on how to properly clean it. YouTube is a great resource I imagine.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

Last edited:

- 50 Remington #00 Buck
- 50 Federal #4 Buck

After much research I decided #1 Buck looks to be a good HD choice. There are a few areas in my house where penetration could send it into another house ~40yards away...there are a lot of trees in between but the tree line isn't very thick. Unfortunately I could not find #1 Buck...nowhere to be found but I will check some stores around me. For now #4 Buck will be kept in the 870 for HD in the meantime.

I forgot to mention I also bought an oiling kit when I bought my 870 however I have to research on how to properly clean it. YouTube is a great resource I imagine.

**** Wow.... now you're set for YEARS! LOL
I would NOT use slugs inside your home.
Now, time to practice, practice.... then practice some more.
BTW.... #1 Buck usually will have to be bought online.

JP

Originally Posted By: JPP

- 50 Remington #00 Buck
- 50 Federal #4 Buck

**** Wow.... now you're set for YEARS! LOL
I would NOT use slugs inside your home.
Now, time to practice, practice.... then practice some more.
BTW.... #1 Buck usually will have to be bought online.

JP

Slugs will only be used for long distance target. Thanks for the note about the #1 Buck. I will do some looking around.

It rather poor legal practice to point/fire a gun at somebody without full intentions of killing them, load it as such. #1 buckshot is the smallest diameter buckshot meets minimal FBI penetration standards, anything that does is going to go through several layers of drywall, there is no way around that.

Originally Posted By: default
It rather poor legal practice to point/fire a gun at somebody without full intentions of killing them

You never INTEND to kill them. You intend to stop them. Killing them is a byproduct of stopping them.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
you guys must live in some scary neighborhoods.

Dr. William Petit thought his community with million dollar homes was safe. On July 23, 2007, it wasn't. He was severely beaten while his wife and young daughters were raped and then burned to death, all while he was unconscious and tied up in the basement.

These kinds of crimes happen EVERY DAY in America. Some just get more attention than others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/nyregion/07slay.html?ref=petitfamily&_r=0

Channon Christian and Christopher Newsome went out on the town for a night of fun. Instead they both were anally raped, tortured, male genitals cut off, breast cut off, large unknown object shoved up their anuses, bleach poured down their throats, shot, stabbed, and suffocated to death. They thought their neighborhood was safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Channon_Christian_and_Christopher_Newsom

You can put your head in the sand if you want. My 10 years of police experience tells me otherwise. It is my opinion that every sane person that is responsible and legally able to do so should have a gun for personal protection and should get a concealed carry permit and carry it if they are legally able to in their state. I'd much rather show up on scene of a dead bad guy (assailant) than a dead victim.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. I can't do anything to protect you if I'm across town.

The US Supreme court has ruled that the police have no duty to protect you and your personal protection is your responsibility and yours alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back