TPMS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My Corolla has the TPMS system and for the last few years I have run winter tires that didn't have them. I have gotten used to the little light on the dashboard. As soon as I remount my 'summer' tires the light goes out until I remount the winter tires in late fall. When I priced the TPMS at the dealer they were very expensive (approx. $100 each as I recall) so I did without them.. Now I see that I can buy aftermarket Dorman's for about $40 each at Rockauto....at that price I would consider them.

Does anybody have any experience with aftermarket TPMS?

How much is involved with installing them?

Thanks.

It's not something you can install yourself. Your wheel/tire shop can do it, and will sync them up to the car.

I have heard mixed things about the aftermarket ones. The guys at my local Discount Tire said some cars are just very fickle about talking to non-OEM ones.

If you can live with the light, and just get in the habit of checking their pressure once a week, I would save the money and hassle.

I would be wary, of the Dorman products I've bought and/or considered buying, I haven't been impressed with any of them, but I have not seen theri TPMS sensors.

The tire shop I usually go to said the same thing--better to go OEM. I tend to believe, as my next question was, do you sell them? which got a "no" answer.

My vehicle dealership stated they would not pass state safety inspection with a TPMS light on. Luckily I can get an inspection up to 4 months prior to it be due; I think I will take them in prior swapping tires so as to beat that nuisance.

Question: Is the valvestem hole the same diameter? Or are there TPMS vs non-TPMS rims?

Do you still have to pay the dealer to program the tmps on the car? Did they include that in the price when they quoted you?

I have the same issue on my honda fit, the biggest reason I would possibly want to get aftermarket or OE TPMS on my winter tire/wheel combo is:
When the TPMS warning light is lit the car goes into full-on ASC/TC safety mode and it wont let the tires spin at all in snow & ice; the defeat switch on the dash will not allow you to shut off the ASC/TC for proper winter driving.
I cant get up my long, hilly driveway in the winter when its unplowed without defeating the TC. YOu need too allow a bit of tire spin to make progress.
Not a good thing.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

When the TPMS warning light is lit the car goes into full-on ASC/TC safety mode and it wont let the tires spin at all in snow & ice; the defeat switch on the dash will not allow you to shut off the ASC/TC for proper winter driving.
I cant get up my long, hilly driveway in the winter when its unplowed without defeating the TC. YOu need too allow a bit of tire spin to make progress.
Not a good thing.

Wow, that's awful. Makes me want to rap those engineers on the knuckles with a ruler.

What if you raise the e-brake one click, enough to trigger the light? Does that kill your ABS and TC?

32.gif
My buick century would kill its ABS for the entire key-cycle if I did a "Rockford" under motion with the emergency brake. Seems it didn't like not seeing rear wheel motion.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

32.gif
My buick century would kill its ABS for the entire key-cycle if I did a "Rockford" under motion with the emergency brake. Seems it didn't like not seeing rear wheel motion.

32.gif
I had to lol -- for some reason you don't strike me as the sort to pull that sort of thing.

Originally Posted By: supton
The tire shop I usually go to said the same thing--better to go OEM. I tend to believe, as my next question was, do you sell them? which got a "no" answer.

My vehicle dealership stated they would not pass state safety inspection with a TPMS light on. Luckily I can get an inspection up to 4 months prior to it be due; I think I will take them in prior swapping tires so as to beat that nuisance.

Question: Is the valvestem hole the same diameter? Or are there TPMS vs non-TPMS rims?

According to the information I've read, a flashing TPMS light is not a valid reason for NYS inspection failure. Corroborating that information is the fact that our Subaru just passed last week even though one of the wheels had the sensor removed due to failure, resulting in a flashing TPMS light.

Oh, and to answer your question, I believe the valve stem hole is the same diameter. They replaced ours with a non-TPMS valve stem and it's been working just fine.

Last edited:
From what I understand, it is not a cause for NH state failure either. However--what are the odds of me winning that argument with a service advisor? Only reason to go to the dealership is for the free inspection, well that and and the fact it'd be quick (an hour) vs the place where I pay and it takes all day.

Same diameter, great. Been keeping an eye out for take-offs and, go figure, almost none come with sensors.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

32.gif

32.gif
I had to lol -- for some reason you don't strike me as the sort to pull that sort of thing.

Late february my street and my driveway are both so narrow from snowbanks I almost have to do this to crab around the corners.

Plus it's just fun.
laugh.gif

A piece of black tape works wonders. I guess those monitors are good for those too dazed and confused to notice one of the tires on their wondervagon is about flat.

From what I understand, it is not a cause for NH state failure either. However--what are the odds of me winning that argument with a service advisor?

Print this off and ask them to show you where.

Maine has a new and vague "no malfunction indicator light" rule which might cover TPMS, though I would argue that MIL=CEL.

In NH you can fail for:
-broken odometer (SAF 3213)
-broken spedometer (SAF 3213)
-broken door handle (SAF 3221.01 see a4)

The rest of it makes sense, the points above, not so sure about. Coworker one time had to have a passenger door handle repaired because of this.

TPMS doesn't come up. Also, it doesn't appear that a CEL on a pre-'96 vehicle would cause a fail either; just OBDII vehicles must have that light out.

Still, was never good at arguing. Once they decide to fail you, they already have you for the cost of the inspection.

I wouldn't bother unless it disabled a critical system. That being said, I did spring for ones for the Cruze since it displays the readout on the gauge cluster and is very insistent about getting the TPMS serviced. Nice to get a rough check without freezing my fingers off.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I wouldn't bother unless it disabled a critical system. That being said, I did spring for ones for the Cruze since it displays the readout on the gauge cluster and is very insistent about getting the TPMS serviced. Nice to get a rough check without freezing my fingers off.

sciphi - Did you go with OEM's for your Cruze?

Originally Posted By: topsy
I would be wary, of the Dorman products I've bought and/or considered buying, I haven't been impressed with any of them, but I have not seen theri TPMS sensors.

In my experience on fords dorman parts are hit and miss,usually miss. Some things are just better to go oem even though it costs more you get a better quality piece,but there are exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back