Mo 39
B 74
Vi@100C 11.3
Soot 0.6%
TAN 3.96
TBN 3.7

This is satisfactory.

Charlie

Last time you went another 1,500 miles and the TAN (and FE, Al and Cu)) shot up. Looks like you've found the sweet spot.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Last time you went another 1,500 miles and the TAN (and FE, Al and Cu)) shot up. Looks like you've found the sweet spot.

Last time the EGR cooler ruptured which may have messed up the oil.
I did go by the computer in the car. Incidentally, when going less than this mileage with BMW oil (Castrol SLX Professional 5W30) the results weren't so nice.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: dparm
TAN > TBN, which isn't optimal. Doesn't seem to be hurting things, though.

The virgin TAN is 3.54. There may be esters in the oil which can give it a "falsely elevated" TAN.
The sump is a relatively tiny 7.5L. Wish it were bigger, then I could go further between changes.

Charlie

Which TBN test method do they use? There is a lot more "soft base" used in these LE oils. Because of the sulfated ash limits, the TBN contributions from the dispersants and anti-oxidants used in these oil don't show up with D4739. You need a lab that uses D2896 to get an accurate picture of the TBN in such oils. Wearcheck is one such lab, perhaps DD is too.

I presume they use 4739, because the VOA of D1 LE was only 9.6 (12.0 by 2896 on my earlier batch before they changed the formulation a bit) and the VOA of D1 SHC was 14.0 (16.0 by 2896).

Charlie

Nice run, Charlie.

Are you running this to a condemnation point based on the Fe, or just the OLM for the OCI?

Everything seems very acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back