Nokian WR G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

I was thinking of replacing the Michelin ICE ix2's with Nokians. Do you think these are a good choice for SUV's?

Looking for a "best of both worlds" tire that can handle mild off-roading, street and snow. Off-roading limited to beach use.

Quote:
Pros:
•Superior linear and cornering grip in snow and ice.
•Innovative slushplaning technology.
•Extremely low rolling resistance saves fuel.
•Ecologically responsible materials.
Hakka Sipes

Nokian Tyres plcCons:
•Summer performance is average.
•Softer compound means faster treadwear.
•Relatively high price.

I have 2 cars with the WR G2 - they're great in the snow and have been nice smooth tires their entire life, with good dry and wet grip. I got about 35K of life from them - not exceptional, but considering that I got snow tire performance in winter without the hassle of extra wheels or mounting/dismounting tires twice a year, I think they're a great tire.

I have contemplated the same tire. I ended up going with Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. They were half the price and get 30k more warranty. Tire rack rates them very high in dry/wet, and snow.

Originally Posted By: hemitruck
buster where in jersey can you get those tires ?

Hi, that's a good question I was wondering that myself.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: hemitruck
buster where in jersey can you get those tires ?

Hi, that's a good question I was wondering that myself.
21.gif

There is a dealer locator tool on Nokian's website.

According to the Nokian Dealer Locator, any STS tire store in NJ can get them, as well as many independents.

Prob have to special-order though (especially during the summer months).

My wife's favorite tires on her 2005 Legacy GT wagon 5mt.

They were wonderful on the 2-3miles of gravel/mud roads we take to our family's place. They work pretty well on winter conditions however not a real winter tire for ice. The worst we ever got "off-road" was a fair where heavy rain occured and our Subaru motored out while dragging the under carriage in a field parking lot. But it may just be AWD. The adjacent Trailblazer just spun in 4wd.

They are plain incredible in the wet and slush.

I will state my wife got Conti DWS Extreme Contacts after WR G2's and felt WR G2's with 55k of wear had superior winter traction over the brand new Conti Extreme DWS.

Originally Posted By: Carbuff
According to the Nokian Dealer Locator, any STS tire store in NJ can get them, as well as many independents.

Prob have to special-order though (especially during the summer months).

Just know that the STS prices WILL BE more than almost any mail order company's.
wink.gif

I know, as I've priced both the WR G2s, and the Hakka Rs for my car, and they were substantially more than any mail order at STS, and they would only price match with brick and mortar operations, if that.

There was ONE indie dealer in Piscataway, or New Brunswick if i recall, which was much closer to the mail order price points, but I forgot their name/number.

I will post it up if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back