Michelin HydroEdge NOISY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt has a 2004 VW Beetle TDI with 141k miles, got the Michelin HydroEdge tires at 106k miles. They have almost full tread and look great, just recently they started making a lot of road noise, so we took them to Discount Tire (where they were bought) and they rotated and balanced (had been a looooong time) the tires and the guy said they were "cupping" due to not being rotated. That was 2 months and like 2,500 miles ago and the sound has changed and they are just really noisy, took them to a different Discount Tire and they said the same thing, that there's nothing we can do but let it figure itself out. I thought it was maybe a faulty tire, but they put them on the balancer again and the tires look fine. What do I do?

I'm kind of inbetween when it comes to rotating...

...assuming 4 new tires...
I do the first rotation when I see the front tires wearing more than the rear pair...usually at about 5k

The next, and rest of rotations are again when I see the the front wearing more than the rear...

The thing is, that 2nd rotation is more like 8k because 5k after the last rotation the two pair are just about even...and as the tread wears the more miles between rotations...

...so it usually goes something like, 5k, 8k, 10k...that takes me to about 33k when it's time to get new ones...

OP....how old are those tires...?

35k miles, but how many years since they left the factory (look at the horizontal oval on the sidewall...e.g. 0502 is 5th week in 02)

I thought cupping was due to bad shocks.

Michelin's non-performance tires last forever in terms of tread life, but they still develop the same cracks like any other tire does after 10 years. You'll have 100k on the tires and you'll still have more than half of the tread but you'll still need to replace the tires once they are 10 years old.

How does the car ride?

Tire rotations especially on fwd are the lifeblood of tires. Those being directional need rotated every 3k-5k at latest to prevent cupping.

If you don't rotate them often enough= noise and poor tread life

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My aunt has a 2004 VW Beetle TDI with 141k miles, got the Michelin HydroEdge tires at 106k miles. They have almost full tread and look great, just recently they started making a lot of road noise, so we took them to Discount Tire (where they were bought) and they rotated and balanced (had been a looooong time) the tires and the guy said they were "cupping" due to not being rotated. That was 2 months and like 2,500 miles ago and the sound has changed and they are just really noisy, took them to a different Discount Tire and they said the same thing, that there's nothing we can do but let it figure itself out. I thought it was maybe a faulty tire, but they put them on the balancer again and the tires look fine. What do I do?

You have to rotate them Nick. hey are likely noisy now and won't get better (noise wise) but will last for many more miles.

I rotate mine every oil-change ...~ 6-7 k.

Tried them on the Camry once and they had a weird pitch whine at highway speeds. The GY Tripletred also had a similar whine at same speeds.

The new Michelin Defenders are super quiet, I suggest those highly. That's the main reason they replaced the hydroedge

Hi, Tires get noisy the more they wear, and the Hydroedge are noisy to begin with been a wet tire. I have wore out a set if you can believe it and got noisier the first 1/3 of its life they then stabilized and started to get quieter the last 2/3, Defenders they are not, but they don't vibrate like the Defenders and are better in the rain. My 2 cents are to play a little with tire pressure, go down 2 PSI and test then try up, I say that because I had to pump it up to 47 PSI while the sticker in the van says 28 and 24, don't give up on them they are superb tires, I wish I could find another set instead of the Defenders.

Friends also complain about the noise of their Hydroedge tires. Some tread patterns are noisier, and some cars transmit the noise more.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Every 3K miles ?

I thought you had to rotate every 12-15K miles.

No way. If I waited until 12-15k to rotate the tires on most cars I service, the front two tires would be bald...

I suggest rotation at every oil service, which is usually every 7500 miles.

I rotate every 5k. That makes it easy to remember when to drive over to DT to have it done. I guess it really depends on how long the tires you have last. If they are high performance tires, and only last 25k miles, rotating every 3k seems reasonable. If they are 90k tires, I don't think every 10k miles is a problem at all. Each set of tires is different.

I had a set of Hydroedge tires on an Altima a few years back. Yes, that is a noisy design. That is one of the main reasons that Michelin made the Defender tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back