would it be okay to load 122 bricks in my trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
122 @ 4.5# each=549lbs
can I load these in the trunk of my Montego or would that be ill advised? I am about 18 miles from where they are located. If you think its okay, how would you arrange them?

Well .. other than being directly over the rear axle, it wouldn't be too much different than having 2 270# people in the rear of the car ... which I've seen more than once.

One thing to think about is whether the trunk floor will support it. For example, the spare tire & battery are in a cavity under the trunk floor in my Cobalt, and the trunk floor bows slightly when I load 2 60# sandbags.

If possible, load 20 or so on the front passenger floorboard and then, whatever you can on the rear floorboards. Any weight you can keep between the axles is good, and it reduces the trunk weight and allows the front suspension to help somewhat. But otherwise, yes, it can handle it.

I have experience with this from days past. I used to often use my car as a truck, even hauled cinder blocks, LOL.

With that extra weight in the car, drive more cautiously as the braking, steering, acceleration, and suspension system will all behave differently.

Originally Posted By: Newreet
With that extra weight in the car, drive more cautiously as the braking, steering, acceleration, and suspension system will all behave differently.

+1 especially with all that weight directly over the rear wheels/axle.

I... I just... What...

5caab67d6ef8cfbecce0973b3a9bfcf4.png

I loaded a '79 Ford Maverick full of shingles, and I mean FULL. Poor thing was grossly overloaded, much more than 122 bricks, but was very well distributed. It did OK.

I worked for Lowes one summer and loaded several cars and mini vans with many bricks and/or landscape blocks. Many I thought were a bit crazy. Most people know someone with a pickup. I would always say to myself, the delivery fee is $65, there is little on your car that costs less than $65 it it broke.

Even some people with a 1/2 ton pickup would buy a pallet of block that weighed well over 1500 lbs. I often loaded full pallets with a reach fork lift, and when I lowered the forks to get them out, the truck would go down a ways before the forks were free.

One lady wanted me to load a cast iron boiler into her mini van. I got a manager to handle things. I was back up on the racking latter that day so he must have refused also.

The guy that did the ceramic tile in my office had his Corolla loaded floor to ceiling with tile.

I wish I had taken a picture of it. Front struts stretched to the limit/back springs squashed to the bump stops.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Even some people with a 1/2 ton pickup would buy a pallet of block that weighed well over 1500 lbs. I often loaded full pallets with a reach fork lift, and when I lowered the forks to get them out, the truck would go down a ways before the forks were free.

I would sure hope people are comfortable putting 1500lb in their 1/2 ton. I laugh even more at those who own 3/4 tons. I'd say 5% of 3/4 ton owners actually require that much of a pickup.

Originally Posted By: mount

I would sure hope people are comfortable putting 1500lb in their 1/2 ton. I laugh even more at those who own 3/4 tons. I'd say 5% of 3/4 ton owners actually require that much of a pickup.

This is your statics? Most of the guys I know who have a 3/4 ton tow something large that you don't see day to day. Like me. I bet they need it more than you expert static taking allows others to believe.

I have been blessed and I am able to afford a few daily drivers so I don't have to drive my truck everyday. I would bet 95 percent of the folks who end up with 3/4 ton tow a TT or some type of car trailer. It is nice to have big brakes, tranny and frame when towing.

We use our $250 Craigslist trailer for Home Depot runs. Rated to haul 2,000 pounds, and probably come close a few times. It wasn't pretty to begin with so it doesn't matter if it gets dented/scraped, and if it breaks, it was only $250.

Plus, the wife won't get her junk out of the car so there's no room left for any amount of bricks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
If possible, load 20 or so on the front passenger floorboard and then, whatever you can on the rear floorboards. Any weight you can keep between the axles is good, and it reduces the trunk weight and allows the front suspension to help somewhat. But otherwise, yes, it can handle it.

I have experience with this from days past. I used to often use my car as a truck, even hauled cinder blocks, LOL.
This was my first thought when I first read the post. Spread it out.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
Originally Posted By: mount

This is your statics? Most of the guys I know who have a 3/4 ton tow something large that you don't see day to day. Like me. I bet they need it more than you expert static taking allows others to believe.

I have been blessed and I am able to afford a few daily drivers so I don't have to drive my truck everyday. I would bet 95 percent of the folks who end up with 3/4 ton tow a TT or some type of car trailer. It is nice to have big brakes, tranny and frame when towing.

I'm not sure what the intent of the post was. Most half tons are rated for around 1,500 pounds though. A 3/4 ton would handle it better, but for the occasional need the half ton should handle it for less cost per mile. I'd have to say, a lot of the trucks I see are being hardly used up here. They tend to get sized for the owners most extreme need, and are lightly used otherwise. Their choice, they are free to do it, but sometimes I wonder, what is wrong with downsizing the trailer/etc? Wandering off topic there, sorry....

Speaking of which, why not haul 61 bricks at a time, and do two trips? Should be cheaper than a delivery fee. I drive by a couple of HD/Lowe/etc on/to work, just trickle them home.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Originally Posted By: gfh77665

This was my first thought when I first read the post. Spread it out.
I did. It was fine. put 90 in the trunk and 35 in the back seat floor boards. Piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back