SAE 30 or 10 bar and chain oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up an electric pole saw and electric chainsaw. Chain saw simple calls for "bar, chain, & sprocket oil" Pole saw calls for "SAE 30 or SAE 10 lubricating oil.

Have some Power Care bar, chain and sprocket oil that I use for air filters. Filled both saws up with this oil. Neither of the saws are dispensing oil so I'm draining them now.

Saw a forum post indicating that regular bar oil is around 50W. I see WalMart sells 30W bar oil. Where can I get 30 or 10W bar oil on a Sunday as most of the dealers are closed. Echo bar oil is available at Home Depot but it doesn't list the viscosity.

Woody

All I've ever used for decades is used oil.

Never worn out a chain...

IMO another "overthink" oil app.

Bill

From the MSDS I can find by googling Husky (which you can get at Lowes) and Echo both should be 30w and both companies "low temp" (which I've never seen) is 10w.

(Grainger also list the pour point of Echo at 5F)

Seems the WalMart / Poulan is not well respected by most...

Thanks for sending me on a 2hour tour on Bar&Chain oil.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I do have some 30E oil for the mower that I'll probably end up using.

Duck, thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for, a bar oil that's 30W or 10W, I now know where I can get them.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
All I've ever used for decades is used oil.

Never worn out a chain...

IMO another "overthink" oil app.

Bill

Ditto - except I've worn out a few bars and chains. But IMO, it still works out cheaper than paying high dollar for bar and chain oil.

Filled the chainsaw with the 20 wt B$C oil that was included. It's spitting off the end so my guess is it's not B&C oil which is fine with me, its oiling and that's what counts. I have quite a few limbs in the front yard that need cut up for collection.

I think you're OK. I've got a Stihl pole pruner attachment and in the manual it's got a picture of some drips coming off the front of the chain. I think that is normal as the oiler just puts oil out there - it doesn't sense when it needs to put oil. So it could over oil it.

As cheap as bar oil is, I'd not use anything else. Especially nasty waste oil. May as well dump it in the sewer as that's basically what you are doing.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I think you're OK. I've got a Stihl pole pruner attachment and in the manual it's got a picture of some drips coming off the front of the chain. I think that is normal as the oiler just puts oil out there - it doesn't sense when it needs to put oil. So it could over oil it.

As cheap as bar oil is, I'd not use anything else. Especially nasty waste oil. May as well dump it in the sewer as that's basically what you are doing.

Yep.

I use G-Oil B&C oil these days.

I dont feel like spraying used motor oil all over my property.

Thanks, I'm going to pick up a quart of Echo B&C oil this afternoon, not sure I have enough oil to get me through the task at hand. I think the PowerCare B&C oil is just too thick for these saws.

Most B&C oils have about a 30W base oil, AW additive, and a tackifier to enhance cling.

In my opinion, most of these oils have too much tackifier.

For cooler climes, I recommend a 20W ND 30% mixed with 70% B&C oil .

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Most B&C oils have about a 30W base oil, AW additive, and a tackifier to enhance cling.

In my opinion, most of these oils have too much tackifier.

For cooler climes, I recommend a 20W ND 30% mixed with 70% B&C oil .

How do you determine "Too much Tackifier" ?

One would think the main goal is to keep as much oil as possible on the B&C in the most economical way.

Oil on the ground certainly will not do the B&C any good.

Obviously there is more to this that I don't know.

If you are concerned about biodegradeability, one can use this or something similar:

Bar and Chain OIL

Consider that bar and chain oil is total loss system.

What I mean by too much tackifier is the tackifier is used at too high a treament level. Too much tackifier inhibits cold temp pumpability and gums up the clutch and gums up and blocks oiler pumps and oiler ports.

Biodegradeability is one reason why, in 1996, I developed a soy-based bar and chain oil that was biodegradeable.

Last edited:
If you are concerned about biodegradeability, one can use this or something similar:

Bar and Chain OIL

Consider that bar and chain oil is total loss system.

What I mean by too much tackifier is the tackifier is used at too high a treament level. Too much tackifier inhibits cold temp pumpability and gums up the clutch and gums up and blocks oiler pumps and oiler ports.

Biodegradeability is one reason why, in 1996, I developed a soy-based bar and chain oil that was biodegradeable.

Not concerned about Biodegrability anymore, I use G-Oil B&C oil.

Please share what happened to your soy based B&C oil.

Quote:
Please share what happened to your soy based B&C oil.

I had to shut down my company when we moved.

Quote:

Some people have reported gellation issues in cold weather and rusting of the chain and bar.

Have you experienced any of these problems with G-Oil B&C oil?

Quote:

Some people have reported gellation issues in cold weather and rusting of the chain and bar.

Have you experienced any of these problems with G-Oil B&C oil?

No issues as of yet, Will report when winter is done.

I picked up a quart of Echo premium B&C oil this evening. Put some in the pole saw and its now releasing the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back