Mobil 1 TDT 5W40, 9.3k Miles, 2.5 years in Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
After 2 1/2 years I decided to change the oil. My OLM was down to 5%, I had driven through numerous dust storms and followed many trucks down dirt roads eating clouds of dust. I also had over 4000 miles of towing 2 different travel trailers (one weighing 6500 lbs and the other weighing 8500 lbs), so I thought it was time. Blackstone said I could have kept going. Copper was a little high but I am sure that was from copper leaching on the hot mountainous pulls with the trailers.
Code:
MI/HR on Oil 9370

MI/HR on Unit 43477

Sample Date 7/1/2013

Make Up Oil Added 2.5 Quarts

ALUMINUM 2

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 15

COPPER 42

LEAD 2

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 1

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 55

SILICON 10

SODIUM 4

CALCIUM 1310

MAGNESIUM 941

PHOSPHORUS 1113

ZINC 1369

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 71.1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 13.25

Flashpoint in °F 445

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0.3

TBN 4.9

TAN

ISO Code

ROD: Thanks for the notes. It looks like taking the last of the drain didn't hurt anything. We do have some extra copper here, though that's probably not a result of your sampling technique. It does show some extra wear at brass/bronze parts. High copper in these engines isn't uncommon, so we're not going to get too worked up about it after just one sample, especially since everything else looks god. The TBN was strong at 4.9 and the air filter kept silicon low despite the dust storms. Do another 9,000 miles or so and check back on copper.

Last edited by a moderator:
FP was still at 445F and TBN at 4.9! That is hard to believe with the oil in for so long. I would say this oil would give any 5W-10W/40 a run for its money. Very nice.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
FP was still at 445F and TBN at 4.9! That is hard to believe with the oil in for so long. I would say this oil would give any 5W-10W/40 a run for its money. Very nice.

Its not really all that surprising. Especially if he had recently put in part of that 2.5 make up quarts.

I changed the oil filter (but not the oil) about 6 months ago. Apparently I didn't tighten the new filter quite enough and a quart and a half seaped out on a trip pulling a trailer from Phoenix to Durango Colorado. I added that 1 1/2 quart back in before returning from Durango. That was about two weeks and 800 miles before the Oil Change.

Am I wrong in presuming this is a Dmax engine?

Cu spikes are not at all uncommon; it will probably pass.

Oil could have been used further; extend to get your ROI.

No need to change an oil filter sooner than the oil; they will go the same distance as the oil generally.

This is indeed a Duramax Engine. An LLY to be exact. The only reason I changed the filter out earlier was because I was a little concerned about the integrity of the element after having sat in the oil for over 2 years. There really doesn't seem to be a lot of data on how long the construction of the oil filter itself will hold up to "soaking in the used motor oil bath."

Generally 5 years is the upper end for the comfort zone; some have gone longer but it's admittedly "iffy" past that time.

I routinely run 3 years on normal filters in some applications; never had issues.

I will update your thread title so that it's in our posting convention for future searches.

Last edited:
When I pulled this sample, I changed the oil out with Mobil Delvac 1 and a K&N Gold Filter. (K&N's nothing special to me, I just happened to have a couple lying around). Will probably go 3 years or 15K miles on this go around.

I had high Cu on a couple 10k changes with Mobile 1 TDT on my 07 DMax, dumped it for Rotella T6, Cu went back to normal and consumption reduced as well. I had been a fan of Mobile 1 Synth for all my prior gas vehicles but the TDT oil left a sour taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
Next time try Mobil 1 TDT and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Black6spdZ
I had high Cu on a couple 10k changes with Mobile 1 TDT on my 07 DMax, dumped it for Rotella T6, Cu went back to normal and consumption reduced as well. I had been a fan of Mobile 1 Synth for all my prior gas vehicles but the TDT oil left a sour taste in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back