Idle time on Crown Vic Police Interceptors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a long time enthusiast of the Crown Vic Police Interceptors and am approaching to point to finally purchase one as a daily driver. I'm looking at a 2006+ year model as they have the idle hour meter and look the best in my opinion. The cars I have found so far range from 500 hrs to 7000 hrs of idle time.

Since these cars have heavy duty cooling systems and engine oil coolers, I'm curious ... does the time spent idling cause worse wear on the engine versus time spent driving? I have read that Ford states 1 hr of idling is equivalent to 33 miles of driving.

General rule of thumb I've always heard for CVPIs is to take the mileage on the odometer and double it to account for idle time. Not that it really matters, I've driven them with over 500K on the odometer and other than burning a little oil, they still run like new.

Being in construction in a supervisory role my vehicles run for at least 10 hours a day in the winter. I have concluded that idle time may shorten the life of the oil however it saves many cold starts. So from that I've just changed the oil when it smelled strongly of fuel. None of my vehicles ever sustained any mechanical issues from these extended idle periods.
Are you sure that's an idle timer or an engine hour meter. My hemi and chev have an engine run timer,so it times hours running and not hours at idle. I changed the oil at around 100-150 hours on oil.
I think I'd rather have an engine with less cold starts and more hours on the engine than vice versa

The oil-water oil cooler keeps the oil hot during all the idling, that's its primary job, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Originally Posted By: default
The oil-water oil cooler keeps the oil hot during all the idling, that's its primary job, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

... Its job is to keep the oil cool while the engine sits there and putts along without any airflow. Cool, not hot.

It has no issue staying hot with the giant engine around it.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake

... Its job is to keep the oil cool while the engine sits there and putts along without any airflow. Cool, not hot.

Actually a mod motor at idle, has a difficult time keeping oil hot. The oil cooler actually helps keep the oil temps consistent in both winter and summer.
My 2v at idle for 15 minutes after a highway run the oil wasn't too hot to touch coming off the dipstick,same with my hemi.
My 5.0 is the opposite. The oil gets really hot at idle,too hot to touch with my bare fingers.
The oil in my mod motors could be touched with my bare fingers off the dipstick,which I'm sure isn't hot enough to be optimal for additive activation.

Last edited:
So long as the engine's been serviced, I wouldn't worry about idle time to be honest.

Also, the Crown Vic has an excellent cooling system. Even here in the extreme heat, cylinder head temperatures never once have gone over 210F (stock tune), and I have never seen my ATF temperature go once over 190 F in stop and go traffic. When you're moving, it ranges between 175-178 F tops. I've got the High Ambient Temperature/High Speed Package on mine, which is basically another name for the CVPI's.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake

Exactly opposite.

Big V8 with enlarged cooling capacity may actually over cool at idle as clevy stated. I am also convinced that keeping the oil warm enough for good lubrication is tougher at idle for this type of application

Correct. But you can compare the hours with the mileage and get an idea of how long the car sat. Go to the warm weather areas to bid on your Crown Vic. I helped a friend buy one in Southern California. He paid 3k and it had just been serviced, had almost new tires and new brakes, new hoses and other parts. The odo read 70,100 miles and it drove like a new car. One word of warning. It appears that they never service the differential. The oil that came out was really rank and a mechanic said that was typical.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
It appears that they never service the differential. The oil that came out was really rank and a mechanic said that was typical.

Diff oil should be really rank. Typical EP additives are sulfur based. As soon as they are activated, the oil will start to stink.

Thanks for all the insight; it helps confirm that, basically, if the engine was properly cared for (which most interceptors are) idle time is not a big issue.

My favorite thing about these cars is the sound made when accelerated briskly from 0 to about 50. The 4.6 makes a beautiful sound!
happy2.gif

As a true bitoger, I already have my oil/filter selection all picked out for the Crown Vic... Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Motorcraft FL-820
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Thanks for all the insight; it helps confirm that, basically, if the engine was properly cared for (which most interceptors are) idle time is not a big issue.

My favorite thing about these cars is the sound made when accelerated briskly from 0 to about 50. The 4.6 makes a beautiful sound!
happy2.gif

As a true bitoger, I already have my oil/filter selection all picked out for the Crown Vic... Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Motorcraft FL-820
grin2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

I was always a thicker is better guy however in my experience with mod motors you gain nothing by going thicker so good call on the 20 grade.
Unless there is a consumption problem stay with a 20 grade.
As far as the sound of a 4.6,ford wanted it to mimic the sound of the old 5.0,so they put an h-pipe on it and did various tuning mods to make it sound like the old 5.0 engines.
They do sound great. I put a Mac prochamber in my mustang after I pulled the 2V and went 4V and it sounds like a big block now. Actually reminds me of a 427 sohc ford engine.

It's my understanding that the cabs and police cruisers receive oil changes on a very strict schedule. Now driver abuse...well, that's another story.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Any idea what service interval most PD's use?

I suspect the interval is in the ~5,000 mile range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back