New to me 2012 Polaris RZR S LE 800 what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I just purchased a 2012 Polaris RZR 800 SLE of course I have been reading Polaris recently changed the oil weight on there fluids from 0w40 to some made up 2w50 synthetic. I am kinda curious why they changed the weight specd. for the 800 engine? I have been running 5w40 rotella t6 in my sportsman 700. But for the RZR and Polaris recent change in spec. I am re-thinking what weight and type I should run. Maybe Mobile 1 Racing 0w50 but its hard to get. I know the 2w50 is most likely a marketing thing to scare people into buying Polaris oil. Any suggestions? 0w40, 5w40, 0w50, 15w40, 15w50, and what brand? Polaris 800 series engines are flat tappet cam design so something with alot of zinc should be good. just not quite sure. Help! Thanks again, Cody

Congrats on the new purchase, you'll love it. Looks like you've hit all the marks in your oil quest, that's very BITOG of you!

In the last year I bought a new Scrambler 850 and pondered the same question. I am unwilling to use PS4 oil, but decided to stay with a 5w50 because it's speced for it. I chose to run Schaeffer's Racing 5w50 and the engine loves it, UOA here, notice the high zinc and phosphorus for the flat tappets and cam. The base stock, according to Schaeffer's is a group III/IV combo and it held up well in my 10 hour UOA. I sent in a sample last week, but don't have the results back, watch the motorcycle UOA section, I'll post them when I get them. The Schaeffer's isn't the easiest oil to get either, but the performance is worth it IMO.

If I wanted a locally available oil, I'd probably go with Castrol 5w50, it appears to have good specs with a fair amount of ZDDP. If you're a Mobil One fan, then the 15w50 oil that's sold at Wal-Mart would probably do just fine, considering you're in the south, I don't think the engine would know the difference on cold start.

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions. My only thoughts against 5w50 is with the great differences in cold vs hot viscosity index the it would not be the most sheer stable oil in the long run. Maybe my theory is wrong just a thought though.

No, you're correct about sheer stability, but the Polaris engine oil only lubes the engine, not the transmission gears, and that's where the great majority of sheering occurs in ATV engines. I have had good luck with the Schaeffer's 5w50 not sheering out of grade, but the longest I have ran an OCI is 10 hours.

I will say that I have a large stash of ELF 10w50 ATV Power oil that I will not hesitate to use in my Scrambler when I run out of Schaeffer's. I don't think that will hurt anything, and possibly up to a 15w50 here in the south. I'd probably not run a 20w50, I know I will not run any in mine.

In my mind the 50 high temp weight must be important to these engines, Polaris recommends it and has back-filled their recommendation to all their engines. I'd say the thicker oil film improves wear rates on the topend, ring seal in the cylinder and is much better on the big end of the crank.

Not sure about the scrambler but the rzr does not share the engine oil with anything else. I saw Castrol has Edge in a 5w50 with high zinc, maybe that would do.

Yeah it does look like a good option for the rzr. If it does sheer some it will be a thick 40. I wonder if this is a better option or Chevron delo synthetic or even rotella t6, I can also get amsoil really easy but its super expensive, so I prefer to stick with the other three unless its really worth.

Someone else will chime in here shortly I'm sure, but the Castrol looks like a very good option. I have quite a stash of Schaeffer's and Elf or I'd be running it myself. Do a UOA after 10 hours or so and see how it's holding up.

As a Long time owner of Polaris atvs. I can tell you Polaris is the absolute rip off champions on attempting to confuse you and getting you to buy thier "Special" lubricants, that they attempt to confuse you with catchy names. Truth be told, just about any oil will work fine in their four stroke engines. 5w40 Rotella is a Great oil. I have ran 15w50, 15w40,5w40,0w40, with no noticable differences or changes. The transmissions(gear cases are the same, they tell you to use thier AGL at $15 a qt and Amsoil costs even more. I had the transmissions apart. Any ATF or light motor oil will work fine. DO NOT use gear oil though, it creates too much drag and stretchs the silent chain.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Congrats on the new purchase, you'll love it. Looks like you've hit all the marks in your oil quest, that's very BITOG of you!

In the last year I bought a new Scrambler 850 and pondered the same question. I am unwilling to use PS4 oil, but decided to stay with a 5w50 because it's speced for it. I chose to run Schaeffer's Racing 5w50 and the engine loves it, UOA here, notice the high zinc and phosphorus for the flat tappets and cam. The base stock, according to Schaeffer's is a group III/IV combo and it held up well in my 10 hour UOA. I sent in a sample last week, but don't have the results back, watch the motorcycle UOA section, I'll post them when I get them. The Schaeffer's isn't the easiest oil to get either, but the performance is worth it IMO.

If I wanted a locally available oil, I'd probably go with Castrol 5w50, it appears to have good specs with a fair amount of ZDDP. If you're a Mobil One fan, then the 15w50 oil that's sold at Wal-Mart would probably do just fine, considering you're in the south, I don't think the engine would know the difference on cold start.

Schaeffers 5-50 is indeed GIII and GIV, add in the ZDDP package, a high grade moly and penetro, makes for a fine oil!

I recently got rid of a Polaris ATV. I had a 550XP. Hated the darn thing. Liked it at first....then started to have issues at only two years old.
Anyway....I used Castrol Syntec 5w-50. Worked well and was close enough to the warranty required viscosity that I didn't worry.
The issues I had with the ATV were electrical as well as a clunky engine and drivetrain, and an easily bent front end from gently bumping a small tree on a tight trail.
Don't mean to slam your vehicle though....just venting.

Thanks for the opinions, I think I will try that castrol just because it's pretty easy to get. Sorry to hear about the issues with that 550xp, I have good luck with my polaris products and so have my buddys.

Been doing some more research since my last post, and was curious about you guys thoughts on the mobile 1 5w50? Here is a link to the VOA
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2416248

link for castrol 5w50 voa
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2887076&page=2

Below is the VOA for the new SN 5w50:AL, CHRM, FE, CU, PB, TIN = ALL 0 PPM. Trace of Potassium, Sodium, Silicon.
MOLY = 91
BORON = 242
CALCIUM = 3127
MAGNESIUM = 24
PHOS = 951
ZINC = 1132
kV @ 100C = 16.43 cSt
Flashpoint = 435F
I had them re-test the kV @ 100C, seemed thinner than M1 spec'd -- they verified the 16.43 cSt measurement.

The numbers are close in the zinc and phosphorus department but the mobil has a ton more boron does this mean the mobil will be more shear stable? Please share.your thoughts, I do require a oil with a good amount of zinc since it is a flat tappet engine. Thanks

Any thoughts about using Rotella Triple T in 15W-40 or synthetic T6 in 5W-40? It holds up quite well in my Kawasaki Brute Force 750i and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

I actually am trying the T6 in my Sportsman 700 now no worries or issues, Polaris back specd..all the atvs ect. to 50wt so I guess that is why my hunt for a new oil is needed.

27.gif

Mystik JT-8 15w-50 synthetic-blend heavy-duty engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back