Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both have been marked down at the local WM to about $21.50 for a 5QT jug. Given the prices are the same, which would you choose?

Apologies if discussed before--am just curious about the thoughts of how each of them stack up against each other.

I absolutely hated M1 when using it in a couple different applications. It was very loud compared to the PP. I did really like PP when I used it in the past. I am using Kendall at the moment and really am liking it as well.

PP has a slight edge in its additive package, but your engine likely won't know the difference.

My Honda's didn't mind Mobil1 but my BMW engine hated it (noisy). I get great UOA from Pennzoil Platinum with the Honda's so my vote is for the PP.

dparm said:
Pick one, try it, and see how the motor likes it.
My engine says it likes Platinum
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I absolutely hated M1 when using it in a couple different applications. It was very loud compared to the PP. I did really like PP when I used it in the past. I am using Kendall at the moment and really am liking it as well.

I won't say that I hate M1 but PP and PU were definetly quieter in my Ridgeline. And I have Kendall waiting in my stash for 2016.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
It's funny you say that. I use M1 HM and it is quieter then PP for me.

M1 HM is by all accounts superior to regular M1, and IMO is probably on par with PP. Different engines like different oils, not surprising that some like M1 HM more than PP.

I've tried both, my truck likes PP better than M1. I've never tried M1 HM though.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
It's funny you say that. I use M1 HM and it is quieter then PP for me.

M1 HM is by all accounts superior to regular M1, and IMO is probably on par with PP. Different engines like different oils, not surprising that some like M1 HM more than PP.

I've tried both, my truck likes PP better than M1. I've never tried M1 HM though.

+1 I have used both and have been happy with both results.

M1HM is the smoothest oil I've ever run. Wonder what makes it so smooth? The thicker viscosity or the stronger add pack? Doesn't it have more zddp and Molly?

Kinda like asking which is better: Catholicism or Lutheranism. You'll get answers on both sides but both seem to serve their purpose.

Both are fine oils, but Mobil1 tends to be slightly "thicker" than PP. Not enough to really matter, but it still can make a difference to some when selecting an oil. For example, if your car leaks or consumes oil M1 may be the one to try first.

Some complain about M1 noise, but I think these comments go back to the SM version, not the SN found on store shelves today.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
M1HM is the smoothest oil I've ever run. Wonder what makes it so smooth? The thicker viscosity or the stronger add pack? Doesn't it have more zddp and Molly?

It's a SL rated oil so it most likely has more zddp. I don't know about the moly. I don't think that mattered with whether it's SL or SN for their rating. Maybe they are using another additive like boron or titanium. My 96 Zetec 2L ran SL oil until this past Oct when I finished up my supply of Schaeffer's 5W-30 blend rated SL. I have PP 5W-30 in there now. I think I'll try Mobil 1 5W-30 HM, which is an SL oil and see how it does noise wise. The Contour does not burn/use any noticeable amount of oil even in an 8.500 mile OCI. So I don't have to worry about poisoning the cat.

Whimsey

M1 and PP are both great oils. Frankly u can't good wrong with either one. Check out PQIAs lastest testings of synthetic oils and compare the add packs and pick the one that meets your needs. UOA section is also useful. PP,M1,QSUD,Val syn and castrol spt are fine oils

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
The five quart jugs of M1 0w-40 at WM are tough to beat...

My thoughts as well. At the same price, I'd probably reach for M1. I have a fair amount of each in my stash though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back