So I have this friend who recently bought a 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda Prelude. Under 155k, so not horrible I don't think. Problem:

The guy likes to "top off" his oil when he really doesn't need to and runs on fumes for the majority of the time.

Double whammy: fuel lubes the pump and too much oil isn't good either.

How do I explain this to him???

Tell him once. If he doesn't listen, stop giving a [censored], its his car. Clearly his top offs are a flawed obsession he needs to feel he's doing the right thing for instance.

Originally Posted By: RiceCake
Tell him once. If he doesn't listen, stop giving a [censored], its his car. Clearly his top offs are a flawed obsession he needs to feel he's doing the right thing for instance.

This... After telling someone something once, I don't repeat advice. Let them dig their own grave.

Not sure I can thank you enough.

I've told him once, twice....you know the rest. But okay, I did my part- and that's really all I can do.

It is rather annoying to drain 7+ qts. out and put ~5 back in. But it's not my car...thank you.

Just needed some reassurance that I'm not going nuts!

I don't lose sleep over friend's ignorance/arrogance.

My senses are so numb these days I don't even feel a thing (insensitivity).

You shouldn't lose sleep over it either.

Q.

Tell him that fuel keeps the fuel pump cool and if he continues
to run on empty, he's gonna burn up the fuel pump.

Did he used to own a saturn s-series?
laugh.gif

The corpse in his driveway is a 1998 Ford Taurus actually. Think it was hydrolocked going through big puddles last rainy season.

Originally Posted By: davebarnum
Not sure I can thank you enough.

I've told him once, twice....you know the rest. But okay, I did my part- and that's really all I can do.

It is rather annoying to drain 7+ qts. out and put ~5 back in. But it's not my car...thank you.

Just needed some reassurance that I'm not going nuts!

-show him (once) that magic thing called dipstick/oil stick
-buy him a cup of THICK sourcream. tell him that will be his oil if he continues
-print a page with definition of engine + hydrolocked
-put a piece RED tape over his fuel indicator to cover up to 1/4. tell him that's his new limit
-have a cold one
-sleep easy
-it's not your car

I routinely run my gas tanks as low as I feel comfortable with before refueling. Light on, 1/8 tank or less. Each tank. Last car was a '93 and it made it to 340+k miles on the factory pump.

Never had a fuel pump die. If fuel is flowing, its 'cooling'. Stop this internet myth please.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
-put a piece RED tape over his fuel indicator to cover up to 1/4. tell him that's his new limit

If it were only that simple...

But you're right- it's not really mine to worry about. I can tell as many times as I want, but it's still not my car!

You already warned him, nothing else to do but sit back and see what happens. Not your car.

Often people who don't give a [censored] about their car take offense to someone else giving a [censored] about their car, and respond by giving even less of a [censored] than they did before. You may make it worse by repeatedly reminding him. Tell him once, then say "I told you so" when something happens.

I would give my friend/former roommate advice on his badly neglected and beaten Liberty when asked or when someone really needed to step in, but otherwise I sat back and enjoyed the abuse. I remember when we both started laughing hysterically during one transmission rumbling/shuddering event on the highway that was particularly violent, there was no other way to react.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back