Ford PowerShift DCTs any better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is thinking that he will replace his Civic Hybrid with a Ford Fiesta when the hybrid becomes a money pit, which could happen at anytime since the warranty gravy train is running out. The Fiesta would probably be an SE sedan with the SFE package and automatic.

My biggest concern with a Fiesta is the DCT transmission. I know they had issues early on, did Ford correct these problems? Is it internet amplification, or a real issue? I believe someone on here had major issues with the DCT in a family member's Focus.

I think the Fiesta would suit his needs well, but the Civic has had transmission issues throughout its life. It would be nice if the next car didn't. Unfortunately, he isn't interested in manuals anymore.

Other small sedan suggestions are welcomed. Fuel efficiency and reliability would top the list of wants, luxury features don't mean much. I think my dad is leaning towards Ford because he liked his '90 Taurus and '98 Contour, but a new Fiesta really has nothing in common with those cars and he may look into other options once he drives one. My mom has a 3, and they both like it, but they won't set foot in that dealer again and the next closest Mazda dealer is an hour away.

I believe the issues with the Ford DCT's were mostly 'programming' related and that they have been ironed out.
The Chevy Cruze 6 speed A/T had some programming issues early on as well.
Honda's A/T issues are hardware (and possibly even design) related and are the reason that I wouldn't buy another A/T Honda product.

There were some early transmission issues related to programming. However, most of the complaints are from people who don't understand that they are driving an automated manual.

The only problems wee a leaking trans seal on the first ones which led to clutch replacement and software issues causing clutch shudder. The last software update seems to have fixed that.

My mom's 2011 Fiesta has no problems. It does drive very different, though, than what "autos" are normally like.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
The only problems wee a leaking trans seal on the first ones which led to clutch replacement and software issues causing clutch shudder. The last software update seems to have fixed that.

We have replace a bunch of clutches under this program. Everyone says the cars are a lot better after the replacement and reprogramming.

Mine is just fine- it has a few quirks mosty the results of letting off the gas and quickly accelerating again, and stop and go traffic. Doesn't shudder at all, works pretty smooth. And it does have a hill hold feature as well, which is nice when taking off from a stop on a hill. It does shift quickly too.

Kind of early for any long-term perspective, but it seems relatively trouble-free. Don't forget these things need time to learn when theyre new. The mechatronic system uses high-rate microslipping to achieve the right shift quality (using 2 dry clutches), and this takes time to learn. Also with DCT, unexpected downshifts are somewhat delayed, as the transmission usually has the 'other' gearset engaged to the next higher gear and has to reengage the gear lower, before it can engage the other clutch to change the gear. If pops doesn't notice it, or have a problem, you'll be fine.

Thanks guys...good to hear Ford resolved the issues and sorted out the programming. As long as it's reliable, some quirky shifting is okay. My dad likes some "experimental" technology in his cars, hence why he bought a CVT Civic Hybrid in 2003, but I think it will be good to not be the first guinea pig in line this time.

Since the trans seems like it may be a non-issue from a reliability standpoint, I'm thinking the Fiesta might actually be just right. A frugal car with European roots is right up my dad's alley (he used to be into Fiats and VWs in the '70s, probably not going down that road again). I'll still try to get him to try out some other options though. I think the Dodge Dart Aero might be a good car to try. My dad has generally been pretty unenthusiastic about Chryslers, but since the Aero is a little more plush than a Fiesta SFE, has Fiat roots, and gets about the same MPG, he may be interested, at least just for comparison's sake. Might try to get him behind the wheel of a Focus too, but I have a feeling he will see the Focus as "wasteful" next to a Fiesta, even though it will be close in size to his old Contour.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Thanks guys...good to hear Ford resolved the issues and sorted out the programming. As long as it's reliable, some quirky shifting is okay. My dad likes some "experimental" technology in his cars, hence why he bought a CVT Civic Hybrid in 2003, but I think it will be good to not be the first guinea pig in line this time.

Since the trans seems like it may be a non-issue from a reliability standpoint, I'm thinking the Fiesta might actually be just right. A frugal car with European roots is right up my dad's alley (he used to be into Fiats and VWs in the '70s, probably not going down that road again). I'll still try to get him to try out some other options though. I think the Dodge Dart Aero might be a good car to try. My dad has generally been pretty unenthusiastic about Chryslers, but since the Aero is a little more plush than a Fiesta SFE, has Fiat roots, and gets about the same MPG, he may be interested, at least just for comparison's sake. Might try to get him behind the wheel of a Focus too, but I have a feeling he will see the Focus as "wasteful" next to a Fiesta, even though it will be close in size to his old Contour.

Why not look at a Fiat 500?

I owned a Jetta with the first generation of DCT, it worked, but was unreliable and quirky. Sold the car due to the problems and the difficulty of getting parts. From day 1, it was obvious the DCT was going to be a problem. It was that weird.

Recently rented a Golf with the same trans. MUCH BETTER. Worked wonderfully. Completely seamless, no shudders, no problems off the line etc.

But I must say that these transmissions do not significantly improve real world MPG. The golf, like many other modern cars, was only able to achieve mid 20's with mixed driving. Not exactly fantastic.

Last edited:
its still far too early to rule any ford DCT to be reliable. check back in 7 years.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
If Fiat had a four door sedan, he would probably consider it. The 500 is just a little too small.

I just saw it on a commercial this weekend several times:

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/2014/500L/trekking/

Fuel economy isn't very good and it's about $4K more than the Fiestas he's considering. He's looking for a roughly 40 MPG sedan. Plus, I'm not going to lie, that thing is hideous.

New Fiats don't really seem to be the type of car he's after. They aren't really a practical/frugal car as much as they are a cute/fun car. If they could make a four door sedan with good MPG and no Barbie/Gucci interior, they'd be on the list.

Mazda is unfortunately off the list completely due to the dealer my parents are stuck with in the area. They own a Mazda, they like Mazda cars, but they will never use the sleaze bag Mazda dealer again and alternates are too far away.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Only in hatch form. The Mazda Mazda2 is cheaper than the Fiesta hatch, but the Fiesta sedan is cheaper.

Unless something has changed, Mazda2 sedan isn't available in the states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back