Four gallons tranny fluid with lucas for fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
By this weekend, I'm about to end up with four gallons of transmission fluid from my 93 Ford Taurus AXOD metric transmission. Fluid has been in car for a month. I was trying for a fix by changing fluid and adding two bottles Lucas transmission fix. Have been advised to drain fluid and replace with fresh fluid and no Lucas.

Question: Would it be okay to burn this tranny fluid as fuel in a diesel engine? I have a 1963 Case 530 diesel tractor I use on occasion and I hate the idea of simply taking this fresh fluid to the recycle tank at Advanced Auto. If I use this at say a 10 percent mixture, (10 percent tranny fluid to 90 percent diesel fuel), would it be okay to use in my tractor. I don't want to gum anything up but hate to just dump it.

What say you guys?

Thanks - Glenn

Go for it, you can use it up to probably 50% no problem. If this is a dozer that see's use as in, start it in the morning and work it all day - start it on fresh diesel, run it an hour or so so it's well up to temp, and when you get a chance just dump all the ATF in.

I'd also recommend letting it settle for a month or 2, preferably in a clear container. The metallic elements will gravity settle to the bottom of the container. Once thats done, use a hand pump to pump it out, don't pour it.

I regularly burn alternative fuels in my diesels. However, I get best results when well diluted with good fuel. I generally use a 5% mix (95% fuel, 5% oil) . Which has been the published "old standard" among diesel engine manufacturers for a long time.

Last edited:
Whatever you do DO NOT POUR ATF INTO YOUR FUEL TANK.
To say "go for it" is some bad advice.

According to the U.S. Army's quarterly fuel and lubricant bulletin (March 1994), laboratory testing using the Ball-on-cylinder lubricity evaluation (BOCLE) had shown that the addition of ATF to a low sulfur fuel does not improve the fuel's lubricity rating. Moreover, the presence of ATF in fuel can adversely affect other performance properties of diesel fuel.

I have access to a continual supply of ATF, and own a 3000 rpm centrifuge. From all I have read, it seems like as long as it is filtered (below 1 micron) and adding some bioiesel for lubrication enhancement , running this in my 7.3L 2002 should be okay, Anyone have a strong opinion pro/con?

Rick Bofinger

Use it and save some money. As long as its filtered, you'll have no issues. You could add some 2 stroke oil or another from of Lubricity as it doesn't really do well on that part but being older, it probably doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back