Formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The teams should have allowed Pirelli to run the new tires at Silverstone. I have a feeling they'll all be in agreement now!

That pirelli have a big problem explaining why there tires are so unreliable compared to earlyer tires from other brands.

Thank God all the blowouts occured in a safe area. Could have been real bad. I doubt Nascar and F1 tire suppliers make any money on their race tires, but do get lots of free adverising/publicity. Sometimes good, sometimes bad like today.

Last edited:
There are always teething problems like this. Michelin already has a bad reputation from the Indianapolis debacle years ago, and now Pirelli is developing one too. What next, switch everyone to Dunlops? They can't alienate every manufacturer.

It's good that no accidents resulted from the tire failures.
Silverstone has some serious high speed , high G sweepers which
obviously over stressed the tires.

Pirelli will learn from this and I'm sure we won't see a further rash of tire failures over the rest of the season.

More reason for in season testing. Complaining about cost in F1 results in in season testing bans which result in tyre issues like this.

Maybe the FIA should give a financial incentive to a couple of the higher running teams to provide cars to Pirelli to let them test new tyre designs without any data going to the teams. Get drivers that are not currently active to drive for Pirelli so there is no advantage given.

Originally Posted By: shDK
That pirelli have a big problem explaining why there tires are so unreliable compared to earlyer tires from other brands.

You do know the FIA asked Pirelli to make them degrade on purpose right?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Maybe the FIA should give a financial incentive to a couple of the higher running teams to provide cars to Pirelli to let them test new tyre designs without any data going to the teams. Get drivers that are not currently active to drive for Pirelli so there is no advantage given.

That is impossible really, the team can install new equipment and at the very minimum understand the reliability of those part(s) after the test.

Increased in season testing was announced this weekend for 2014.

" Four two-day track tests will be allowed in season in place of the current eight one-day promotional days and the three-day young driver test. These will take place at tracks in Europe on the Tuesday and Wednesday after a race in order to ensure minimal additional resources are necessary.
Track testing will now also be permitted in January 2014 in order to allow earlier testing of the new power units."

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/113019.html

Originally Posted By: dparm
There are always teething problems like this. Michelin already has a bad reputation from the Indianapolis debacle years ago, and now Pirelli is developing one too. What next, switch everyone to Dunlops? They can't alienate every manufacturer.

Everyone seems to forget that Pirelli has supplied tires since 2011 and up to this year they were highly praised by the teams.

Pirelli has an impossible task, the FIA asks them to make unreliable tires that degrade and to make the difference between the Prime and Option tire to have a very big gap. Pirelli could just easily adopt last years tires but the FIA rejected their request, because the FIA changes the tire strategy for every season that would be a change in specification which is a big no no in F1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22593977

Track temperate was a lot higher than they anticipated leading to the tyres overheating. These were actually a "conservative" option for the track, to ensure reliability! I think we were lucky they didn't bring the "correct" tyres.

These tyres are apparently a cross ply design, last year was radial.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Yes they want the tires to wear out or loose their optimum grip at a predetermined rate but this is failure of the tire carcass which is an entirely different issue.

Correct and supposedly Pirelli has a replacement tire but the teams voted it down for the Silverstone race.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Yes they want the tires to wear out or loose their optimum grip at a predetermined rate but this is failure of the tire carcass which is an entirely different issue.

Correct and supposedly Pirelli has a replacement tire but the teams voted it down for the Silverstone race.

Lotus and Sauber voted in down. Tire changes have to be unanimous per the Concord agreement. Neither one of those two teams suffered tire delamination at Silverstone. Wonder if they will vote for a change now? I would doubt changes could be made before 3-4 more races even if everyone voted for it now.

Originally Posted By: Nyati
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

Lotus and Sauber voted in down. Tire changes have to be unanimous per the Concord agreement. Neither one of those two teams suffered tire delamination at Silverstone. Wonder if they will vote for a change now? I would doubt changes could be made before 3-4 more races even if everyone voted for it now.

The FIA messed this up so bad they just rewrote the rules! Teams are now exempt from a vote no longer requires a unanimous vote to change the tire compound!

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/114085.html

Originally Posted By: supercity
Typical FIA knee jerk reaction. They rules they come up with always have unintended consequences

Well in this case they had to, the Silverstone race was almost red flagged and with three teams blocking the vote for a return of the 2012 Kevlar based tires they had to change the rules. Plus drivers were talking about refusing to drive this weekend, who knows if those threats were real or not but I don't think the FIA was ready for another 2005 Indy debacle!

Why can't we get Bridgestone back? Their tires were better than Pirelli even after a few years of development on Pirelli's part. If not Bridgestone how about competing mfrs? Let the teams choose between 2 brands and then you'll really get better tires.

It's not that Pirelli can't build good tires, it's that the FIA is asking them to build tires that degrade quickly. I think the pendulum has swung too far in favor of artificially restricting the performance of the cars in favor of improving the show. Exploding tires sure do spice up the show. What is this, the WWF?

With athletes in the ball sports getting busted, arrested, etc etc I have returned to F1; so if you know any dirt on any of the drivers please don't tell me...you will burst my bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back