Honda 2.4 Ticking Noise - Running Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
Maybe it was a fuel injector? Bitog has to have the most uptight members of all the forums i am on. Knowledgeable people but some are sticks in the mud.

I agree...I really appreciate these members help, and yes, I post more than others, but I am just trying to find an answer. And when I post 2 times on the same subject, apparently Ive posted 12. Oh well, I appreciate there knowledge and time none the less.

I suggested to you I'm your last post, get your injectors checked out.

If you want, send them off to someone like witch-hunter.
They'll test them thouroughly, rebuild, graph the results, and send them back.

Since fuel makes a difference, either a knock/ping caused by carbon deposits, or the injectors themselves are making the noise.

Make a call, then act upon it, I don't want to see another post from you till you've been decisive, made an effort, then have results to show for it, positive or otherwise.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: dishdude
It's seriously been discussed ad nauseam.

discussed, yes, resolved, no. I thought I would throw out this recent finding and see if it would narrow it down.

I think the (frustrated) point being made is that you already have started a thread on this very topic, so updates and progress might ought go there for those interested in following your experiences.

...much the same has been said about starting another set of multiple threads on another general topic, (which oil to use)...forum etiquette, to be fair, not always followed by a lot of people, here and elsewhere on the net...

Glad you apparently found the cause of your engine's tick...and a cheap(er operating) solution at that....good luck!

Last edited:
That engine is not designed for premium fuel with its 9.7:1 compression. Anything 10:1+ should run premium. Stick with mid-grade if the ticking stopped. Your car will run smoother on the lower octane fuel.

Forum etiquette?...seems to be largely missing around here these days. Rude and sarcastic comments seem to be more common and accepted on BITOG. I don't remember that in the past (and I'm not talking about "lively discussions" with people disagreeing about a topic...noting wrong with that). There are ways to get a point across without attempting to make the poster feel like an idiot. Sadly, after all these years I find myself visiting and posting here less often for that reason.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Forum etiquette?...seems to be largely missing around here these days. Rude and sarcastic comments seem to be more common and accepted on BITOG. I don't remember that in the past (and I'm not talking about "lively discussions" with people disagreeing about a topic...noting wrong with that). There are ways to get a point across without attempting to make the poster feel like an idiot. Sadly, after all these years I find myself visiting and posting here less often for that reason.

+1

Originally Posted By: oilmaven

Yes...I agree...
It's too bad people don't take a breath before expressing frustrations...here, on the net, and everywhere in our lives...

Lower octane fuel actually has more energy (BTU) than higher octane. Higher octane simply means it resists exploding too soon because of heat. Use the lowest octane your car can stand without knocking for greatest efficiency - in terms of both price paid and performance/economy. Low octane = explodes easy & more energy. High octane = resists exploding & less energy. The high compression in race cars requires more octane and even with less energy they make more power because of engine design optimization.

^ my understanding is higher octane burns with a softer flame kernel which seems a tad less (measurable) burn rate. Burns the same, just a measurable slower rate which can reduce pinging. Not quite as fast (explosive), slower/longer during the power stroke so the cylinder pressure doesn't peak quite as fast in time.
If a engine has a knock sensor and able to pull (retard) timing back enough to reduce/eliminate pinging, then no harm, otherwise best to use next octane higher fuel if pinging persist.
To lean and/or higher temp can lead to some pinging. Carbon build-up too. Get a hot spot that ignite just before spark cause to early ignition for the cylinder(s).
^ The way I has understood it for years... and haven't caught up latest info.

Yeah, Im going to keep running the 87 octane from shell now and throw in a 20oz bottle of techron before my next oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back