Question before I put ARX in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the wife a '99 Cadillac Catera. The car is in good condition and runs well. It has 82,000 miles and I finally decided to give ARX a try, but I noticed that when the engine is warmed up the oil pressure fluctuates wildly from around 20psi at idle in gear to a maximum of maybe 45 psi when you accelerate and then at moderate speeds the oil pressure goes down to around 30 psi. What concerns me most is the low pressure at idle sitting at a light. Do I have a bad oil pump? Can ARX help a situation like this? What causes oil pressure to fluctuate so much? Can I really even rely on the oil pressure guage?

stogiedude,

I agree with Stuart Hughes and John Himler.
Auto-Rx has cleaned off these areas and oil for the first time is lubricating them.These will go away after your done rinse cycle.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I have decided to try ARX in the Cadillac, but before I put it in I was wondering about the oil pressure fluctuating and if it was normal and whether ARX cleaning will make any difference.

I have already put ARX in two of my other vehicles VERY recently: 1996 Olds Silhouette minivan with a great running 3.4L six cylinder(so far about 350 miles into it) and I also put a bottle in the engine of my 16 year old son's 1991 Dodge Steath 3L SOHC that we just got.

Both have over 120,000 miles so I will be doing a second treatment in each vehicle.

The oil pressure on the Olds minivan stays way up in the high region of the guage all the time when the engine is running according to the guage.

Perhaps dbdeland missed the bit about you hadn't started the A-RX thing.

Getting back to the fluctuating pressures you have seen, these still seem very normal based on my driving with a reasonably accurate gague.

I think that you were clear enough, you were worried about different pressure readings and if you had problems that might be a sign to not use A-RX.

The variance in your pressure readings at the conditions you describe this Caddy still seems to be normal to me. Go for it and track the effect.

Er, with all of the cars you are treating I hope that you can track what is happening one-by-each; I'm having to be carefull with just two.

Lessee- oil pressure ~20 psi at idle, ~30 psi at moderate speeds(say, at highway cruise?), and ~45 psi under hard acceleration, when RPM is high? That all sounds perfectly normal to me.

Now if it idled & pressure fluctuated back & forth between 20 & 45 psi, I'd be worried. And if it dropped below 20 at cruise, I'd be even more worried. But your description sounds like all's well>
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back