You want moly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sammy
From the UAO and VOA I have looked at, most of the A list oils use Moly, but it is also quite surprising some that don't. Castrol syntec was the one that stood out for me. There was a discussion about a guy who had a tick in his engine and he was going on about how good the oil he uses is, and his oil was Castrol syntec and they omit the ingredient that helps metal to metal contact like no other from the information I've looked up. I've looked at several UOA's on CS and most of the time there is zero Moly. Any oil that doesn't have Moly in it aint going in any engine I have, period. Yawl do whatever you like, but I roll with Moly.

I'm fairly neutral on Moly content, but if an oil is a conventional one then I like to see a nice dose or two, if it's part synthetic or HC synthetic I'm less concerned but would still like some, but if it is what some might call the real Oil McCoy G4 or 5 synthetic from a very big oil player, then I don't want to see any Moly or Sodium additives.

The latest Castrol Edge 0/40 that is advertised on this very forum has 0 Moly and our Queen uses it, so it must be the ultimate in high quality lubricants. Even Renault just changed their Laguna TDI club listing to it and most of the members are French Total users. I was going to post some UOA and UFA results, but I only just figured out there is no way of doing a simple attachment for some reason.
I use Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 It's the cheapest G4 full synthetic Diesel 0 or 5/40 available in the UK from a real oil company on the Internet, but was so impressed with the low wear metals and shear rates from other Renault sufferers (Bad electrics), that I've ordered what I think some call a new stash for the garden shed. I was using GTX 10/40 and half a can of Moly to good effect, but my own UFA results are better with Diesel Ultra 5/40. That will cost me a tenner more for just 5 liters!
2 apple trees to plant now, but will be back tomorrow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BPman
[/quote]I'm fairly neutral on Moly content, but if an oil is a conventional one then I like to see a nice dose or two, if it's part synthetic or HC synthetic I'm less concerned but would still like some, but if it is what some might call the real Oil McCoy G4 or 5 synthetic from a very big oil player, then I don't want to see any Moly or Sodium additives.

Your very own fellow countrymen/engineers/tribologists (at Millers Oils) would FULLY AND COMPLETELY DISAGREE with you on the above bolded statement.
31.gif
(Granted, they are by NO MEANS your proverbial "very big oil player", and do not want to be at the sake/cost of compromising their excellent products.
wink.gif
)

Their reason being that NO MATTER HOW GREAT/'TOP SHELF'/'lubricious' the base stock components (and they use a tri-ester formulation which might even surpass Red Line's AND Motul's), there still needs to be a POTENT and very effective anti-wear add pack to handle the 'boundary/in between' lubrication scenarios as in top and bottom dead center ring events, and elsewhere in an engine when the 'oil wedge' is compromised/non-existent, especially in a higher revving/high performance engine.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: BPman
I'm fairly neutral on Moly content, but if an oil is a conventional one then I like to see a nice dose or two, if it's part synthetic or HC synthetic I'm less concerned but would still like some, but if it is what some might call the real Oil McCoy G4 or 5 synthetic from a very big oil player, then I don't want to see any Moly or Sodium additives.

Your very own fellow countrymen/engineers/tribologists (at Millers Oils) would FULLY AND COMPLETELY DISAGREE with you on the above bolded statement.
31.gif
(Granted, they are by NO MEANS your proverbial "very big oil player", and do not want to be at the sake/cost of compromising their excellent products.
wink.gif
)

Their reason being that NO MATTER HOW GREAT/'TOP SHELF'/'lubricious' the base stock components (and they use a tri-ester formulation which might even surpass Red Line's AND Motul's), there still needs to be a POTENT and very effective anti-wear add pack to handle the 'boundary/in between' lubrication scenarios as in top and bottom dead center ring events, and elsewhere in an engine when the 'oil wedge' is compromised/non-existent, especially in a higher revving/high performance engine.
wink.gif

[/quote]
Thanks for the reply, so I wonder who makes Millers base stock and which company makes their additives?
Very few owners posting here own race cars or use a race car oil that lacks effective detergents (I like Mobil 1 and Ultra for my old French tank etc). Even those with very fast cars are driving around at the legal speed limit for most of the day, so using very high Moly oils like Redline is interesting, unless they are having to do it for a 20 rating light oil.

There is a lot of confusion in this forum caused by VOA results for modern oils, because although it's possible to get a rough idea about the base stock performance, the VOA results from cheap labs only lists about half the add pack of Castrol Edge or Mobil TD. There should be a bigger elements table to explain why some of the top performing oils don't have Moly and some even have little Boron.
I still can't figure out how the new generation HCO's can function with reduced Zinc, no Moly and in some cases very little Boron, but presume they are using anti wear additives that are not published and not visible in a simple VOA or UOA.

Last edited:
That is the great thing about living in a free country, everyone can choose from a bunch of different options. In all the oils I have seen UOA'S there are very few friction Modifiers widely used, the two main ones being Moly and Zinc, but there are a couple others as well. Too much Zinc is bad for the CAT, too much Moly is bad for the competition, it is the best Modifier w/o negative consequence unless you are adding ounces of the stuff to a quart, then I think you'd have a problem. The list of companies that use Moly is much more impressive then the few that don't. If you have a vehicle that's engine design is sensitive to friction, like a Hemi, then you will want Moly in your oil or embrace the sound the the Hemi tick.

Good golly miss Moly, the VOA I looked up showed over 5000ppm moly on the MPZ additive. And I also heard incredible satisfaction with it, people saying "this stuff really works!". Maybe it helps to have a much larger molybendum content then what we have been using. Thanks for posting that up.

mpz had:
>9999 antimony
>9999 phos
7603 moly inorganic (mos2) not what i want in my engine and this stuff leaves deposits in the sump.thick googy moly

Last edited:
Question:

Does anyone know how much Lubro Moly's (#LM 2009) 300ml / 10-oz can of Mos2 adds in parts per million to 5 quarts of oil (i.e. 150ppm increase)?

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
mpz had:
>9999 antimony
>9999 phos
7603 moly inorganic (mos2) not what i want in my engine and this stuff leaves deposits in the sump.thick googy moly

MPZ is a completely different brand of molybdenum disulfide and perhaps it goops up however I've been using the lubro-moly brand mos2 for a number of years now and I can say from experience I've never seen that condition,ever.
Perhaps overdose or a lesser quality product does that however in all my years using the lubro-moly brand I've never encountered that phenomenon.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Question:

Does anyone know how much Lubro Moly's (#LM 2009) 300ml / 10-oz can of Mos2 adds in parts per million to 5 quarts of oil (i.e. 150ppm increase)?

Email lubro-moly. I've always found them helpful and I'm sure they would know dilution rates and such.

AUDI/VW/Porsche share a common 3.0 liter TDI which requires a particular formulation of oil (M1 ESP) due to a DPF. Is it advisable to add a bottle of LubroMoly S2 with every oil change?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Not being a wiseguy but... If moly is so great for the engine, why is it mostly removed from many major brands?

Another user responded concisely: $

I'll be a bit more wordy: From an oil maker's perspective, and maybe a consumer's perspective as well, many additives are not cost effective. If you change your oil every 3000 or 5000 or 8000 miles, the benefits of adding MoS2 may not outweigh the costs associated. For example, Lubro Moly 'MoS2 Anti Friction Engine Treatment' is around $8 per bottle, which bottle will treat one oil change. Are you $8 better off using it? If you asked the car maker or oil maker, their answer would be 'no'. If you plan to keep your vehicle forever (don't we all?), your answer may be different.

Some years ago, a fairly extensive test of MoS2 was done by the Eazor Express Company - a large OTR truck line. They used the stuff in engines and hydraulic systems and liked it - by using this additive they could extend the oil change interval and hydraulic service life cycle by 5% (or some such relatively small percentage). That may not sound like much, but if you are servicing 1000+ OTR trucks, a 5% service life increase is huge! It may have saved them hundreds of thousands of dollars per year - far more than the labor and product cost of adding MoS2.

Welcome to the Forum dave5358.

I'm pleased with the performance of MoS2 in all my vehicles for the past dozen years. Fuel savings pays for the Lubro Moly product that performs as advertised.

I'm pleased with the performance of MoS2 in all my vehicles for the past dozen years. Fuel savings pays for the Lubro Moly product that performs as advertised.

Fuel savings! Great response. With the price of motor fuel in the ~$4/gal range, even a small savings would pay big dividends.

Another advantage, particularly on a high(er) mileage vehicle might be less oil usage past the rings. If your vehicle used one quart of oil between changes (and that's not high oil consumption) and by using a moly additive you could reduce this usage to 1/2 quart or even zero, that would be a nice dividend.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

Fuel savings! Great response. With the price of motor fuel in the ~$4/gal range, even a small savings would pay big dividends.

Another advantage, particularly on a high(er) mileage vehicle might be less oil usage past the rings. If your vehicle used one quart of oil between changes (and that's not high oil consumption) and by using a moly additive you could reduce this usage to 1/2 quart or even zero, that would be a nice dividend.

Fuel Savings are hard to verify and I doubt this product can help with oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back