warped brake disc and other myths of the brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have never seen a warped rotor and I have turned some on the lathe personally myself. Change in thickness yes, 100%. Warping, 100% no.

This is one of the major problems in discussing brake pulsation issues. When people say "warped" rotors, what they sometimes are experiencing is thickness variation caused by runout, which then leads to a pedal pulsation.

I think the article posted by the OP almost does more harm then good when people read it. While pad deposits clearly can be an issue in some cases, in many other cases it's either runout in the hub or rotor or another issue. That causes the rotor to wear unevenly and the pulsation starts.

More info on pedal pulsation and runout in this document from Raybestos:
http://www.raybestos.com/wps/wcm/connect...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

This. Runout and warping are real concerns. Warping becomes really prevalent in the real world when one or two wheel lugs are torqued (uncontrollably ie with impact wrench) more than the others. Then you go out on the road and heat those discs up, the high torque on one side of the rotor will encourage warping; mostly with steel wheels. Another big issue is rust forming on the friction surface of the rotor. This causes uneven contact, uneven heat distribution (including very hot tracks of raised/pitted rotor), this will tear off and melt the organic component of pad friction material onto the rotor. It's very difficult for a regular road car, with perfectly scrubbed rotors under normal conditions to ever become so hot as to deposit pad material onto the rotor where it can't be scrubbed off. This would need something like heavy braking for a mile downhill and coming to a complete stop and holding the smouldering brake pad against the rotor at that exact spot that the rotor stopped. This could easily result in both pad deposition and warping.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
The only way to get pad deposits on your rotors is to come down a mountain with smoking hot brakes and stop or driving erratically enough to get the brakes and rotors extreemly hot.

Normal people don't drive like that. I can set s brake lathe up to just scuff the surface and it will remove magnetic metal and not pad material.

Exactly. A fella with track experience trying to transpose his experience onto regular motorists who barely change their oil. His points are good, but that first one-- to come out and say that most people's pulsating problems are mostly because of phenomena observed on the track with race-compound brake pads, and not warping from cheap casts of iron and improperly torqued lugs. He does raise some excellent points that many of us have not considered before, I'll learn from it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

I still think I'm going to shop for the cheapest coated rotors I can find, maybe centric premium m they are affordable but appear quality.

This is probably a sound plan. If a rotor is going to be coated, it is probably of above average quality.

Anyway, thanks for posting the link!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

It's great info that has saved us thousands of dollars on big trucks since we were lucky enough to hear about it. Carroll Smith has forgotten more about braking systems than most of our armchair mechanics will ever know at their best.

The list of companies and racing teams he has consulted for is unbelievable, this guy is a brilliant engineer who knows what he is talking about.

Like I said before, the naysayers still get to keep doing whatever they want!

The problem is most people oversimplify the issue when casually reading the article. If you just casually read the article you'd possibly believe all pedal pulsation is caused by pad deposits.

I guess one of the things he's "forgotten" about brakes during his years is that things other than pad deposits can cause pedal pulsation...
laugh.gif

Just kidding, of course. Smith even says other things can be the issue:
Quote:
With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification

If you've got a hub with runout, junk between the hub or rotor or other problems, those can eventually lead to pulsation, too.

But I do agree with him that when people say "warped rotors" what they're experiencing is generally something else, either pad deposits, uneven rotor wear caused by runout, etc.

Can pad deposits cause pulsation? Yes
Can other things lead to uneven rotor wear and thickness variation, which also causes pedal pulsation? Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back