New Expedition: 1st oil change, when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fortunate enough to get a new (as in 5 miles on the odometer) company vehicle this year; it's a 2013 Ford Expedition, 5.4L 3V engine.

The owners manual says to use 5W-20 oil.....no problem, but at what mileage should I change the oil for the first time?

I've read several different articles, some indicate the oil should be changed after the first 500 miles, while others advocate allowing the engine to break-in for 5-7k miles then changing the oil.

What saith the forum?

Quote:
I've read several different articles, some indicate the oil should be changed after the first 500 miles, while others advocate allowing the engine to break-in for 5-7k miles then changing the oil.

Does the engine really need a breaking in period?

What saith the manual?

My personal preference is to change oil and filter at 500 miles and refill with a synthetic.

Ford's own Motorcraft syn blend oil and Motorcraft filters are great; really can't go wrong with them for the price.

Last edited:
"Early Change Club" here. Our new vehicles get changes at 500, 2000, & 5000 followed by normal schedule while under warranty.

Last edited:
Don't baby it, break it in one way then use it another. Use it like you plan to use it from day one including oil changes. Agree with others stay with MC oil and filters.

I have the same engine in my F150. I changed it around 2K then my normal OCI afterwords with a motorcraft 820S filter and conventional 5W20 on sale.

This is a real stout engine it really does not matter what oil brand you decide to use just change it following the OEM recommended maintenance schedule and your drive train will outlast the body.

uh, as a company vehicle who cares. unless you plan on buying it afterwards.

I hate this "it's a company vehicle" thinking. I've had company vehicles in the past, which were treated no differently than my own.

Personally, unless otherwise specified, I dump the factory fill at 1,000 km (625 miles) and go 4,000 km (2,500 miles) before I change the oil again. The third fill goes 5,000 km (3,000 miles) and it's whatever the recommended interval is thereafter.

I run a large fleet (300+) of 5.4L Fords. I use 5W-20 and Motorcraft filters. We do the OCI at 6,000 miles from new. I have many over 150,000 miles without an oil related engine issue. They typically run at about 9,500 lbs GVW with a ton of wind resistance. I have them top speed governed to 65 MPH though ....

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
uh, as a company vehicle who cares. unless you plan on buying it afterwards.

I am somewhat inclined to agree, especially since that motor is already pretty solid.

Just a heads up, the service filter is an FL-820S, but the one on the truck will appear different most likely. It will look more like a FL-910S, but the service filter is the FL-820S.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I hate this "it's a company vehicle" thinking. I've had company vehicles in the past, which were treated no differently than my own.

Personally, unless otherwise specified, I dump the factory fill at 1,000 km (625 miles) and go 4,000 km (2,500 miles) before I change the oil again. The third fill goes 5,000 km (3,000 miles) and it's whatever the recommended interval is thereafter.

100% agree.

it's a company car so who cares? really?...that how some people think? ...so glad that person doesn't work for me.

If a person is provided a company car paid for by their employer, the ethical, right thing to do is to take very good care of it while they use it. And its a nice new car, by its very nature it is something that should be taken care of and not abused.

Last edited:

Most people don't want to spend their money on a car they have no stake in. It's a company car, maybe using a fleet maintenance card. Take it in when they tell you and the maintenance will get done.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cashmoney

100% agree.

it's a company car so who cares? really?...that how some people think? ...so glad that person doesn't work for me.

If a person is provided a company car paid for by their employer, the ethical, right thing to do is to take very good care of it while they use it. And its a nice new car, by its very nature it is something that should be taken care of and not abused.

Taking good care of it doesn't mean over-maintaining it. Do what the manufacturer requires, why spend more than you have to out of your pocket for the company's asset when it will last just as long with normal maintenance?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
My personal preference is to change oil and filter at 500 miles and refill with a synthetic.

+1

Originally Posted By: Kuato
"Early Change Club" here. Our new vehicles get changes at 500, 2000, & 5000 followed by normal schedule while under warranty.

+1

Originally Posted By: silverrat

Most people don't want to spend their money on a car they have no stake in. It's a company car, maybe using a fleet maintenance card. Take it in when they tell you and the maintenance will get done.

I'd be thankful that I wasn't putting miles on my own vehicle and maintain it the best I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back