Auto Rx in manual trans. Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Auto Rx in my engine and have experienced good results. From what I've read, It would be a good idea to use this product when I service my 5-speed.

Does anyone have experience with this product in a manual transmission?

I ran the Auto RX in the 5 speed of my 94 Mazda MX-3 after I bought it last fall with 140k miles on it.

I don't know if it was the AR-X or just the age of the fluid, but it came out filthy. Shifting is smoother now, but could just be the new fluid.

Anyhow, I would try it.

That's my question. I'm wondering what benefit it might have vs. the negative side. My trans has seen fluid changes every 30k. I'm wondering if the Auto Rx chemistry will do something other than clean the gears.

I'm debating...

I have performed AutoRx on my 323's MT gearbox and then refilled with Castrol Syntec 75W90 and the notchiness of shifting between 1st and second gear are all but gone.

because of that, I believe it does perform some sort of cleaning by at least breaking free the oil related varnishes and deposits on the gear or synchro brass ring's surface.

My Transmission only takes 2.25 Quarts. By ARX's instructions, I would only need < 3 Oz. of ARX.

Doesn't that seem like too little for a transmission?

That's more than enough ScrewDvr.

I added 3oz into my gear box and then follow through the steps on Frank's site.

Ran it for 4000kms and then drain and fill.

Not many steps for a manual tranny Quest. Just drive for 1000 miles and drain and fill.

Strange that the auto tranny warrants a T-Tec Flush wheres the manual doesn't.

JGMazda

Yes, I believe that the Auto-RX helped. I used 4 ounces in my 2.8 litre tranny. It helped several engines and the one transmissioon clean i did has smoothed the shift into second. It does not appear to have harmed anything.

However the improvement could just be the new fluid. My transmission is not in top notch shape, but this is just a winter car for me so the improvement is a quick cheap help.

So I would recommend it without being able to say that i have concrete controlled evidence that it was the sole cause of my improvement.

Screwdriver, I think its probably just that most manual transmissions are easily drained by pulling the plug. (Remember to check that the refill plug opens before you drain the old fluid!)

Hey guys, Thanks for your advice. I'll try it out on my next scheduled service. I imagine I need to pay a visit to the Auto Rx website also. The product is the same for both engines and transmissions, correct?

Perhaps Frank can chime-in here and let us know the benefits.

Ultimately, I'd like to see my Miata "notchy-ness" smooth out. I use a synthetic 75W90 lube now. Some suggest Redline lubes... Thanks again for all your help guys!

I used it on a Chrysler A833 4sp with a fresh fill of 75w90 GL4. It must have done some cleaning because the drain after 1000mi came out somewhat darker. I wouldn't think that distance on fresh fluid would show as much discoloration as I saw. Also seemed to tighten up the seals a bit - just moist now as opposed to a slow drip before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back