'96 bronco - what type of coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought a '96 full size bronco, 351 engine if it matters.

the coolant in it is a light green color. it looks a little thin but is clean and so is the overflow bottle. i have no idea as to the brand.

naturally i want to flush the system and put in the correct type of coolant.

what would be the safest option?
what do you recommend?

thanks.

I'd probably stay with the traditional green, but make sure that it's not a Dex-Cool green. I think Ford went with G-05 a few years later.

could you specify a good brand of G-05 coolant for me?

the '96 bronco owner's manual only lists "ford premium cooling system fluid" in their specs.

If you go to an auto parts store and ask for G-05 they're going to give you either Zerex G-05 or a blank stare.

Around here, Motorcraft Gold (G-05) is competitively priced and easier to obtain, as compared to the parts stores. Call your Ford dealer and see what they ask for it.

you might find this interesting:

the '96 ford manual specification number for their premium coolant is: ESE-M97B44-A

the info on the back of the prestone extended life (dex-cool approved) coolant jug states that it meets ford WSS-M97B44-D performance specification requirements.

could this be the same stuff, just a more recent code number?

just speculation on my part. i'm leaning towards the motorcraft gold G-05.

Don't know. Your Ford dealer might be able to compare the two numbers and explain the difference. Based on what I have read, the Prestone Extended Life (dexcool approved) has the same chemical ingredients that caused issues in GM vehicles.

On the other hand, my daughter's Saturn Vue has used Dexcool and its clones successfully for 120K plus miles with no issues.

I would lean to the Motorcraft, do a good set of flushes to get the old stuff out and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: chaindrive
could you specify a good brand of G-05 coolant for me?

the '96 bronco owner's manual only lists "ford premium cooling system fluid" in their specs.

Around here, NAPA carries it, but O'Reillys just gives you a blank stare or tells you just to put in an "all makes and all models" type of antifreeze.

Not completely accurate, but this chart might help.
http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/images/Zerex Application Chart - Z-1217.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chaindrive
you might find this interesting:

the '96 ford manual specification number for their premium coolant is: ESE-M97B44-A

the info on the back of the prestone extended life (dex-cool approved) coolant jug states that it meets ford WSS-M97B44-D performance specification requirements.

could this be the same stuff, just a more recent code number?

just speculation on my part. i'm leaning towards the motorcraft gold G-05.

It came with "regular green" stuff from the factory. Read that Prestone bottle carefully. It probably says "recommended for" or "suitable for" that Ford spec #. Which is not the same thing as being Ford approved. It means that PRESTONE recommends it, regardless of what Ford says. As far as I know, Prestone is a Dex-clone. I would probably just stick with the green stuff, like Napa store brand.

thanks all, for the help.

looks like the best match is the zerex original green.

the spec # is the same as ford's premium coolant.

i'll bet that's what's in there now.

All of the auto parts store traditional green is the same from what I've seen. Autozone, aap, OReilly all carry re badged name brand stuff. OReilly conventional green is what I used last time I did a job that required it. Best price at the time.

From my handy Ford Coolant Chart.

It has and specs regular old green. Available from ford and many other sources.
If your only gonna do a drain+fill and not rinse/flush the system, use this.

If your going to flush the system completely, might as well upgrade to Ford's Orange colour G-05 which IS NOT the same as Dex-Cool or Prestone All Makes.

Choose based on what you want to do.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
All of the auto parts store traditional green is the same from what I've seen. Autozone, aap, OReilly all carry re badged name brand stuff. OReilly conventional green is what I used last time I did a job that required it. Best price at the time.

I can't remember the last time I saw regular green at Advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back