Rislone any good for a gradual engine flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, without all the technical mumbo jumbo and analysis printouts (I don't speak engineering), is Rislone any good for a gradual engine flush?

Let's say the test subject is a 1999 Subaru Forester with N/A engine with a bit over 20,000 miles that was driven less than 2,500 miles per year and only subject to 1 oil change/year. This car is a "hand me down" to a person who will average between 1,000 and 1,250 miles per month and who wants to flush any stagnant crap out pf the engine without using a harsh and caustic flush that strips all lubrication out of the engine.

Thank you.

Without all the technical mumbo jumbo....?

No, it isn't.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by kmrcstintn:
Please, without all the technical mumbo jumbo and analysis printouts (I don't speak engineering), is Rislone any good for a gradual engine flush?

Let's say the test subject is a 1999 Subaru Forester with N/A engine with a bit over 20,000 miles that was driven less than 2,500 miles per year and only subject to 1 oil change/year. This car is a "hand me down" to a person who will average between 1,000 and 1,250 miles per month and who wants to flush any stagnant crap out pf the engine without using a harsh and caustic flush that strips all lubrication out of the engine.

Thank you.

Yep, it is good as a mild flush. Buy a quart and split it between 2 OCIs. Marvel can also be used the same way. They work, are affordable, and are available in many stores.

They are not a sponsor. Don't expect too many to jump on the pro-bandwagon.

Please don't question my motives. I know what I'm talking about. Their sponsorship has nothing to do with my opinion. I've used every flush from Rislone to B12 to Gunk to my own concoctions. They don't get everything and they can dilute oil enough to the point where you can have metal to metal contact. I'm not worried about their effect on seals OR large chunks breaking off. I'm just worried about them NOT getting the job done WHILE giving me dangerously weak boundary lubrication.

If you want something potent that's still gonna keep things lubed try either Neutra or LC20.

I put a quart of Rislone in every oil change on my '84 F150 for 175,000 miles (when sold in '99). These were 3000 mile oil changes. The engine still eventually (by the mid-90s) developed a lifter tap on cold mornings (I used 5w30 in winter with the Rislone). Maybe it was the quality of the oil. Perhaps Rislone would do more now with the better oils, or perhaps it is not needed with the new oils.

I would say there is no harm in adding a quart of Rislone and doing a short flush OCI. But if the seals are not leaking, I suspect a good run (regular length OCI) with synthetic oil may do more good.

I want to agree but I would say it varies from car to car. As safety goes-in some cars, it's probably fine-it never seemed to cause a problem in mine. But...I can't say that for all.

As for cleaning....I don't know...I've certainly used chemtool and toluene to clean things (yes, I know that's not Rislone) but they never seemed to really have any effect on the cleanliness of my engine. I don't know if it's just too diluted in engine oil or what. It still makes it pretty thin, whatever it's doing, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back