Mobil 1 0w20 - dexos 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need the Dexos rating because the new 2014 Silverado 1/2 ton specs 0w20 oil. According to my friend that works at GM, more models are going to be spec'd 0w20 in the near future.

Dave

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I believe the Chevy Spark calls for 0W-20 as well.

2013 Spark actually uses 5w-20 like the Malibu , but according to manual can use 0w30 in winter M1 0w30 is dexos also. ( I got a '13 spark)averaging 37 US MPg since I got her ...and it's an automatic

Mike Z

RE: The new 2014 GM trucks - "Oil capacity has been increased to six quarts for the 4.3L V-6 and eight quarts for the V-8 engines.

All engines use GM’s Dexos oil for increased fuel efficiency and longer oil life, and V-8s are engineered to use 0W/20 oil to improve lubrication and reduce friction."

For some reason the V6 still takes 5W-30 I think.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Does it meet the Chrysler spec yet?

The Chrysler spec may not be met by XM for political reasons after Fiat bought Chrysler, dumped M1 and went with Shell. However M1 will easily meet the spec. In fact many Chrysler dealers still carry M1 as many customers still ask for it.

Last edited:
Carpet bombing Walmart with cheap 5qt M1 jugs, paying for every approval known, XOM may get that monopoly it seeks.

Originally Posted By: tig1

The Chrysler spec may not be met by XM for political reasons after Fiat bought Chrysler, dumped M1 and went with Shell. However M1 will easily meet the spec. In fact many Chrysler dealers still carry M1 as many customers still ask for it.

Thanks! I'm currently using it with no worries.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Carpet bombing Walmart with cheap 5qt M1 jugs, paying for every approval known, XOM may get that monopoly it seeks.

However, this shows that XOM committed to being first-to-market and being committed to blending oils that will meet the needs of the most advanced powertrains on the market. This shows that the company wants to maintain its presence as an industry leader. Very few companies are first-to-market when it comes to products that meet the needs of the newest vehicles. XOM deserves respect for this alone.

The 0w-20 product data sheet states it was updated on the 6-2013 does't mention it is Dexos1 approved. Neither is the 0w-30 Dexos1 approved.

Reading the product data sheet Mobil 1 5w-20 Extended Performance is Dexos1 approved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
The 0w-20 product data sheet states it was updated on the 6-2013 does't mention it is Dexos1 approved. Neither is the 0w-30 Dexos1 approved.

Reading the product data sheet Mobil 1 5w-20 Extended Performance is Dexos1 approved.

So does the M1 0-20. Click on to the link Buster provided.

Originally Posted By: virginoil

The home page says the 0w-20 and 0w-30 is dexos1 approved but the product data sheets updated in 6-2013 do not.

You are correct. Obviously they haven't changed that page.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Wow so thin

Lighter vis oils are becoming the norm and apparently protecting very well.

this is what is on Mobil 1 site about this.

Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR
Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing

Mobil 1\ Chrysler MS-6395

Originally Posted By: 72Cude426
demarpaint said:

this is what is on Mobil 1 site about this.

Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR
Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing

Mobil 1\ Chrysler MS-6395 [/quot

I have seen this before. The test involves a 2 year testing period which is silly IMO. How can oil producers fulfil all the testing the differant engine builders require when they change requirements so often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back