Any 3.6L Pentastar owners out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what little I can tell, the few 2013's you see may not have the updated head design as they were built with 'stocked' motors from existing inventories.

it's still mystifying as the info is restricted and the problem is very limited in scope. I feel just like Demarpaint as Chrysler bet the whole ball of wax on this one and simply has to make it work.

Originally Posted By: mlatour
As a 2011 Charger/3.6 owner I've been following this thread.

During the last few months my car had gradualy started running worse;
lack of throttle response/acceleration, also felt like inconsistent shift points.
Figured, great I probably have one of those 3.6 cylinder head problems.

Recently found a trick online, resetting the throttle pedal sensor:

-Cycle ignition button to RUN without starting the engine,
-wait for all the dash warning lights to go out
-very slowly depress accelerator pedal to floor
-very slowly release accelerator pedal
-cycle ignition button to OFF

Restart and drive.

Feels likes a completely different car now!
Great acceleration, throttle response, even better than when car was new.

If your car has the 8 speed ZF box there may be a reflash available at the dealer that will dramatically transform your car.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
How does a layperson i.d. the head versions on a new vehicle?

The desired head is the AC head which IIRC was released in Sept 2012.

The head in concern is the left head. Here is a picture of the stamp it is the top number you're concerned with. This is the location on the engine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/blastek/ET010_008EP_zpsc71905e6.jpg

Here is a close up of the stamp, the top number is the number you're concerned with. This is from an AC head, 2732 indicates it was made on the 273rd day of 2012. That translates to Sept 30, 2012. If my memory serves me correctly the AC head was released in September. There are early built 2013 Wranglers with the AB head and some owners are reporting problems. Anything higher than this number is definitely an AC head, so that should give you a good idea. Is the AC head the fix, the jury is still out. HTH

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=196510&thumb=1&d=1357832253

I am still going strong with no issues with the 3.6 in the Jeep Cherokee. It actually runs very quiet and at about 12k miles now.

And the odds are simply OVERWHELMING that you will get years and years of good service from your Pentastar.

Well under 1% involved, the actual number is very small.

Not all of them are bad. Keep in mind the percent seems to be higher in the Wranglers, which is what I want to buy. So while the under 1% figure might be true for the fleet its higher in the Wrangler. The highest mile problem Pentastar I'm aware of had 28K miles on it. The good news is the AC head might have solved the problem. I decided to wait a little longer, there is no point in me buying during the winter anyway, and now the 2014's are just around the corner. Like I told my wife and son, its very easy to spend money, and I try and avoid known problems if at all possible. Opinions differ. I will continue to monitor the situation, time is on my side in this instance.

Chrysler has a lot riding on this engine, I'm sure they are working day and night to resolve the issue if they haven't already done so. Thanks for the replies and feedback, keep it coming!

How are you monitoring the situation...by reading forums? For every complaint in a forum, there's probably 100 w/o a problem. I honestly wouldn't worry if I wanted to buy. But if you're in no big hurry, it sure doesn't hurt to wait. They seem to make minor changes every model year.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
How are you monitoring the situation...by reading forums? For every complaint in a forum, there's probably 100 w/o a problem. I honestly wouldn't worry if I wanted to buy. But if you're in no big hurry, it sure doesn't hurt to wait. They seem to make minor changes every model year.

Basically its a combination of reading the boards. I agree with what you've said with regard to them, things can get blown out of proportion. I also had a chat with a Jeep Chrysler service writer who I met and became friendly with recently. He told me the problem is real, not an epidemic, but its there and is effecting anything Pentastar equipped. He said if I was in no hurry and concerned to wait, and see how the AC revision does. I thought that was good advise!

I also decided to ask around and take advantage of the large membership here. I think the Pentastar is going to be a winner, and is experiencing teething pains in its infancy. For me its a vehicle I want, not something I need, so time is on my side.

Originally Posted By: coolbird101
In my opinion your doing the right thing by waiting until its ironed out.

Thanks its always good to see others agree. There are those who agree, and those who don't claiming its covered under warranty so why care? In the end it comes down to whatever makes you happy. I'd rather not have a new engine ripped apart if I can avoid it. The other thing that bothers me is even if the engine had 25,000 miles on it, it would only get one head swapped out. That wouldn't sit well with me, I always swapped heads in pairs on 'V' engines. Especially if they had more than say 15,000 miles on them. Opinions differ there too. I'm glad its winter and I don't have the mad bug to buy right now. LOL

Dad's Wrangler has 21k miles on it (2012 model), and so far, so good. He always gets his oil changed at the Jeep dealer (he bought a Mopar oil change package for 10 oil changes for 120 bucks or something). Most of that Jeep's duty is at idle or off idle while rock crawling.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Dad's Wrangler has 21k miles on it (2012 model), and so far, so good. He always gets his oil changed at the Jeep dealer (he bought a Mopar oil change package for 10 oil changes for 120 bucks or something). Most of that Jeep's duty is at idle or off idle while rock crawling.

Good to know, thanks for posting. Like I said they aren't all bad. But when you combine Murphy's law, me knowing there's a problem, and my luck, I'll get one that has a problem. I think the AC head was the fix, the 2014's come out in July or August so I'm pretty sure I'll know by then.

I figured I'd bring this to the top since the order banks opened for the 2014 Wranglers the other day. I read there were a handful of 2013's Wranglers with the bad left cylinder heads. I have pretty good Intel that the problem has been resolved. Does anyone have any recent info they can share about the Pentastar cylinder head issue, and if its been resolved or not?

Thanks!

their are no large #'s of the new heads "AC" failing, one here and one there, which could be left over "AB" heads. and remember by now (summer) last year, with the original head design they were failing right and left.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I figured I'd bring this to the top since the order banks opened for the 2014 Wranglers the other day. I read there were a handful of 2013's Wranglers with the bad left cylinder heads. I have pretty good Intel that the problem has been resolved. Does anyone have any recent info they can share about the Pentastar cylinder head issue, and if its been resolved or not?

Thanks!

Yes...my neighbor works at the plant...there has been a great deal of overtime for all, as they had to slow things on the line to deal with the issue. Kinda sucks though, as now they are way behind on orders...

So if you order one now until the end of the year, it might be a while.....

They have been road test the fix for at least the last three weeks that I know....

So do you think placing an order in lets say Sept or October 2013, for a 2014, the engine issue will be resolved? I don't mind waiting, this is a vehicle I want, not a vehicle I need.

Glad I used he search feature, I was just going to start a thread asking about the Pentastar head issues. I really want a Wranger, always have, but the thought of spending that much money on a vehicle and it have a buggy engine is insane.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
Glad I used he search feature, I was just going to start a thread asking about the Pentastar head issues. I really want a Wranger, always have, but the thought of spending that much money on a vehicle and it have a buggy engine is insane.

It's driving me nuts too which was why I started this thread. I don't want a new engine ripped apart, no matter how good the tech is that's doing it.

I'm fairly certain the issue was resolved with the 2013 engines that have the AC head. What's scary though is it seems a lot more instances of the so called "problem free" 2012's are starting to show up on some of the Jeep forums with the tick, as they start to accumulate more miles. I don't mind waiting a bit longer to be 100% sure, this is a vehicle I want, not a vehicle I need. Although I don't want to wait too long because they might put Direct Injection in it which might cause them a new set of problems since it will be new to the 3.6L Pentastar engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back