How much LC to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to use Castrol GTX and run a 5k oci, how much LC do I use for this range and how often?

Thanks
cheers.gif

Ted

The directions would say:

At Oil Change add 4 OZ
At 1K add 1 OZ
At 2K add 1 OZ
At 3K add 1 OZ
At 4K add 1 OZ

Rinse, wash and repeat.

Personally, I've seen some (hearsay) evidence that the product only lasts to 850 miles per dose, so I
do:

At Oil Change add 4 OZ
At 500 add 1 OZ
At 1000 add 1 OZ
At 1500 add 1 OZ
At 2000 add 1 OZ, etc

The 1oz of lc per qt of engine oil is somewhere to start.

To "fine tune" it I would get an oil test done and have Terry look at it.

I've always felt that the recommended dosages are sort of a minimum conservative dose. It's 1/2 of what they used to recommend when oils had weaker base stock.

goodvibes
I agree. I asked LCD on this and dosages can range from 1 oz to 3 oz per 1,000 miles. And the initial dose can vary too.

I was doing 1 oz per but found out via tests this was not enough for me.

unless you are buying and using a cheap weak TBN oil, follow the manuf. recommendations
new oil change 1 oz per qt.
add 1 oz per 1k miles

I would not say that. I know Amsoil ASL is not cheap/weak oil. But I know my engine 3MZ kills oil pretty quick.

I am now using more LC per Terry. I would tell anyone to get an oil test and then have him look at it. Worth the $$$$

If I wasn't so lazy I'd use the 1 oz per quart start and and 1 oz every 500 mi. I use about(because I don't think it's extremely critical) 2 oz per 1k mi.

Wow mburnickas, you're using Amsoil AND LC20 AND at higher than normal dosage? Hmmmm, maybe I better go dump a little more in my Saab....
crushedcar.gif
lol.gif

Yup, Dyson Analysis stated I should increase it a little(which is fine with me). I know my motor 3MZ is very hard on oil.

Odd parts here: I know the little application bottles (16 ouncers) say to add 2-oz of LC per qt (IE, oil change) then 1 to 2 per 1,000 miles.

Then the gallon size cut back some (ie 1/2 that). Then LCD states 1 to 3 is normal. So, to close, the end user should conferm what he/she neeeds to add and how much. Each car/enngine is different; some are more/less then others.

I will say the $$$ to have Terry look at it was WELL spent.

[ May 14, 2006, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: mburnickas ]

Maybe it depends on the quality of oil used. I'm currently at the min. recommended of 1oz/qt (crankcase capacity) to start followed by 1oz/1k miles thereafter with 5-30 BMW synthetic.

This is in an `06 BMW in which I wish to properly and cleanly endure the 15k factory recommended OCI because more frequent OCI's are a waste of time, oil and $.

Many people here run the 10% ratio without any problems. I am one of them and nothing out of the ordinary when oil got analyzed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back