Sea foam additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!
I have a question about SeaFoam Oil and fuel additive. http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm
Is it any good for adding to motor oil or fuel?
Thanks.
confused.gif

yes and no. seafoma does very good , when sucked through your brake booster line. ive used it in my gas before, and never noticed much of anything happening. its more of a solvent/cleaner, than a gas additive. you can also pour it in your crankcase, just before you change your oil! i woudlnt run it in my oil, after an oil change, since its a cleaner, it'll probably remove or not allow oil to lube where it should. onliy in oil beofre oilchange, pour in, start car, run ofr 10 or 15 minutes idling, then drian out with oil. thy also make a spray can called deep creep, its a foamy version. you spray it through yur throttle body, before oil change let it sit, for 15 minutes maybe, start car, and it will clean your combustion chambers, lots of smoke, but yuor gunna have to change yuor spark plugs and oil after, as it fouls them.

Just to ask, if it fouls the plugs to where they need replacment, what does it do to your cat converter, if anything?

I always heard of the famous white clouds this stuff makes when you run it, and wondered if it could clog up the cat or anything.

Sea Foam seems to work to some extent, and I have used it several times. But, I am not a fan of the "shop method" sudden severe clean-up for the fuel system and heads. I suggest cleaning the engine the slow, safe and extremely effective way with the continual use additives like Lucas UCL, FP, or Neutra. I find the Lucas UCL works extremely well.

i dont htink it does anythin to the catalyc converter. i have a 95 neon, and learned abou using the seafoam form a neon forum sight. seafoam is a mild cleaner actually. both Chrysler and GM motors make their own version, a combustion chamber cleaner, which ive also used. thier kinda like the seafoma, but htier only made to be sprayed into hte intake,, and are better denser cleaners. if it was bad for your catalyc covnerter, i dont see why even the auto dealers/company's would sell the stronger stuff.
i do agree with rodbucker though, the safest way is to slowly melt and disintigrate everything off. i only do the seafoam, or dealer CCC once a year, jsut to literally burn adn flush as much carbon out as i can. i read once someone put seafoam in their spark plug holes before and after shutoff, thats kinda extreme, but it worked for him. in my case, after i use seafoam, my car is much faster and performance better; ) mileage goes up a little too.

Yep, and I've seafoamed and b12'd the plug holes. Really knocks the crud off and if you're about to change the oil why not?

Seafoam, btw is more expensive and milder than b12.

b12 is used the same way. its the smae thing, jsut a different company. i am gunan try b12 soon start with it in my gas tank, and later try it sucked through my brake booster, but not until next year. i already used a can of seafoam for that, last month. only do it, once a year. i might also try it, before changing oil to clean up the crankcase. b12 seems to bea better name that seafoam here on BITOG

B12 isn't just a better name. B12 is a much more potent blend of solvents than Seafoam AND costs less than seafoam.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ziggy:
b12 is used the same way. its the smae thing, jsut a different company. i am gunan try b12 soon start with it in my gas tank, and later try it sucked through my brake booster, but not until next year. i already used a can of seafoam for that, last month. only do it, once a year. i might also try it, before changing oil to clean up the crankcase. b12 seems to bea better name that seafoam here on BITOG

You wouldn't put it in the tank? Toluene is a component of gasoline. Acetone is perfectly safe and it's just a tad of methanol. See the big fuel injection cleaner thread on this page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back