Fuel system maintenance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about using Lucas UCL and RedLine SI-1 OR Chevron Techron Fuel Syst Cleaner to maintain the cleanliness of my fuel system.

I'm wondering how often to use each one to keep it in tip-top shape?? Also, is the Red Line or Techron better, in your opinion?

Forgot to mention that it's going in a 2002 PT Cruiser 2.4L DOHC with 36,000 miles on it. It also has an in-tank(dealer says irreplaceable) fuel filter.

Techron, SI-1, and Gumout Regane all are great one tank cleaners. I think every 3k miles is too often, b/c they want to sell you more product.

If you want something that keeps your fuel system clean and also adds lubricity to todays gasoline (which is lacking), Lucas UCL or FP60 are the call. Use them every tank and you will not need those above cleaners, and since you only use 2-3oz/10gal they are very economical to use, and I, along with many others on here have found MPG increases with both these products. The MPG increase is usually sufficient enough to pay for the product or more. I have never seen a MPG increase before, during, or after with Techron, and I have used it a few times over the last couple years.

For a quick total cleanup, Gumout Regane does a WAY better job than Techron IMO. Cheaper to by the way. 5.32 to treat up to 25 gallons vs 6.12 to treat only 12 gallons with the Techron.

I hear good things about FP60 as a constant additive but if you dont want to order and have things shipped and would rather be able to pickup your treatments from any autoparts store, go Lucas UCL. Just keep in mine with Lucas that they suggest 3oz per 10 gallons of fuel, this 1:400 ratio has been said to be too rich for many people and they prefer a lower 1:600 mixture generally.

Use the UCL or FP 100% of the time so that surfaces it supposed to be keeping clean never have a chance to dry out. It also can't lube the valve seats, upper cylinders, injectors, fuel pump, and other places if it is not in the gas.

chevron techron is only really mild stuff, ive used it many times in my 95 neon. i got wya better results, using Lucas UCL, stp gas treamtent, and PF 60. i have yet to try gumout regaine, which ive read here is praised! regaine and techron were designed only, to be used every 3,000 miles. personally ide use a complete fuel system cleaner ever 6 months, to a year, depending on mileage. as for LUCAS UCL and PF 60, i use it in every tankfull. never had a problem the LUCAS works best; ) however, if usin every tankfull, you MUST let your gas tank go to empty, or jsut about empty, before refilling adn adding additives..the reason, eventually it is possible to have more additive than fuel at one point, caisuing erraous sensor signals, damage, or poorer fuel economy. i made that mistake months ago, with LUCAS not running to empty, one night my pistons worked harder and faster than the car moved, lol. had to flush with another tank of gas. since then i just run ot empty and all worls fine:)

Should I still use Regane if I start doing the UCL every tank?? I cleaned with a bottle of SI-1 about 5,000 miles ago, so I think it's still clean.

quote:

Originally posted by Screwdriver:
Not understanding what difference adding UCL in an empty VS. full tank could make?

I think he is saying that if you put UCL in and fill up, then run down to say 3/4 tank, and add more UCL in, then do this sort of thing repeatedly that you will keep upping the ratio of UCL to the point where it becomes a negative.

I would use Regane as a quick cleanup and then run Lucas after that.

quote:

Originally posted by psudaytona:
I think he is saying that if you put UCL in and fill up, then run down to say 3/4 tank, and add more UCL in, then do this sort of thing repeatedly that you will keep upping the ratio of UCL to the point where it becomes a negative.

I would use Regane as a quick cleanup and then run Lucas after that.

For any additive (FP included) you only add the amount required to treat the extra fuel you're adding at the appropriate ratio. If it's 1oz per 5 gallons and you're only getting a gallon you add 1/5 oz of FP. (example)

Not real hard, but can get to be a pain in the butt if your habits are to keep your tank topped up (as mine are).

psudaytona is right, about what im saying.i am saying, i otced, wehn i fill empty with gas and lucas, then get down to quarter of a tank, and add lucas and gas again, eventually in a week or 2, the UCL builds up.
i think you can use both drewjp. use the regaine every 3,000 miles, and then use lucas as a maintaince thing. jsut them them both on empty tanks. some people use lucas every other gas tank or every month, its up too you. i would imagine though, every EMPTY gas tank, yuode have the ocrrect ratio, and a pretty **** clean fuel system!

Craig you got it right. I have a 15 gal tank, initial treatment is 3oz, I usually fill up with 12gal so I add 2.25-2.5oz when I fill up to keep the same 1oz/5gal ratio.

Not to get too far
offtopic.gif
but...

I am not sure what the big deal is with additive addition. Just look at how much gas you are pumping on the pump display and then add the right amount.

If the treat rate is 1 ounce per gallon and you pumped 7 gallons, add 7 ounces.

If the treat rate is 3 ounces per 5 gallons and you pumped 10 gallons then add 6 ounces.

I mean I am adding FP in a ratio of about 1 ounce per 5 US Gallons (I like to go a little over) and I am pumping gas in litres and converting litres to US Gallons in my head and its no big deal to do the math.

I would think it's better to add any additives *before* adding gas to make sure they get mixed together properly. Adding after makes figuring out the amount to add easier, but it seems to me it may not mix enough to be distributed evenly through the gas.

My fovorite and only one that I have seen do well really well was Redline SL-1. We were doing 5 Gas analysis in lab at school on my car and mad no real perceptable difference after cleaning the fuel injectors for the first time in their life. The car had 56,000 miles on it. Other who used Lucas did not have any luck. Had a spare bottle gave it t a friend whose car was running rough and the 5-Gas was poor. Ran it for a couple of days, ran better, 5-gas was better and then we did fuel injector cleaning on his car and big suprise no difference. Teacher thought it was odd and told him what we did.

Also see it clean up a Honda 900 Crotch Rocket after he stored it all winter first additives he'd run and now every spring it goes in religously.

Not saying anything else does or would not work but my own experience is that stuff rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back