GM E.O.S. states not recommended as an oil additive?!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard from several members on the board that using a bottle of EOS on my first startup (Gen I SBC) and 500 mile OCI will greatly help the motor. I just recieved my two bottles from gmpartsdirect.com and on the back it clearly states (in all caps) "GM recommends E.O.S. assembly lube only for the specific purposes listed above. GM does not recommend the use of this or any product as an additive to engine oil."
Can anyone clue me in a little more here?

You didn't say as to why you want to run EOS additive in your engine? Did you just have a full engine overhaul/rebuild?

If your car/engine is brand-spanking new then there is absolutly no need for additional oil additives during the first 500~2000miles, just drive your car normally like you should and then change your motor oil with good quality ones.

They dont want it used in modern cars and trucks equipped with cats, particularly ones still under emissions warranty.

That's correct -- it's an assembly lube, and should not used as an oil "additive". The moly content is far too high, generally.

Would it work as an additive? Probably. But the benefits would most certainly be hard to determine, because the motor was likely slathered in the stuff already when it left the factory.

A better idea is just to practice a short oil and filter change-interval on a new engine, to flush as many contaminants as possible from the motor.

i will have to say the very best assembly lube is torco. they tell you can be used in oil as an additive ,has tons and tons of moly which eoa doesn't have...i been using it for years now in all my vehicles

That warning is for people like TallPaul who would dump a bottle of EOS in every 3,000 miles if the price was right.
grin.gif

Seriously, there's no need for it in a new car and it will hasten the death of the cats which the manufacturer has to warranty for ~100K miles. And it may be the case that additives are like aspirin, 2 are great for headaches, 20 may put you in the emergency room. It's intended purpose is for situations like yours, a newly rebuilt Gen I SBC with flat tappets.

I apologize, I wasn't clear as to my situation. It's a Gen I SBC so it's not a new motor. Its a rebuilt 350, stroked to a 383 with a Hydraulic Roller valvetrain. Its going into my Camaro and is performance oriented. The block had the necessary machine work done (bored .030, hot tanked, etc) and everything inside is new.
I am going to run the Supertech 30wt Dino for the first 30 minute startup, change the oil, and run Pennzoil 30wt Dino for the next 500 miles. Both times using a NAPA Gold filter.
I was told the EOS would be great to have in the crankcase for these two intervals but when I read the bottle it states GM doesn't recommend this as an additive...here is the original thread that gave me this idea. BTW, this car has NO emissions equiptment. http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=014751

Brett is correct. It's main benefit is to flat tappet cam/lifters, but in your situation with a roller cam, it won't hurt during the break-in.

The EOS will protect the rocker arms and piston skirts also. They changed the labeling to avoid warranty claims on catalysts. The MSDS doesn't seem to have anything bad in it. It basically seems to be a oil additive pack with about 60% thick base oil added.

Like 427Z06, I think that the warning is targeted to additive junkies. My interpretation of the label warning is "Don't use this stuff all of the time. And, don't use heavily with a catalytic converter"

Just a warning.

Adding third party additives with high levels of ZDDP can potentially cause valetrain corrosion pitting and corrosive bearing wear.

Too much of a good thing can actually be a detriment.

427Z06...thats the part number I ordered. I got two bottles for the initial break in and the 500 mile OCI.
I only plan to use this stuff this one or two times. If it won't benefit then I won't use it but if it will help then I'm all for it.
If it is a good idea to use it how much should I put in the crankcase, all 16 oz. in one bottle?

I do know one thing...it's really thick and smells like crap!

GM themselves recommend it for break-in duties on their SBC/BBC Gen I flat tappet cam/lifters.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/_res/pdf/EnginePdf/Engine General Installation Procedures.pdf

But as MolaKule has alluded to, you probably don't want to use it for anything other than a specialized application such as break-in for 300-500 miles. One bottle for 300-500 miles is what I'd do, then I'd change the oil and filter using no additives.

The most important thing you can do is to prime the engine before starting and hold the RPMs to 1600-2000 as detailed in the instructions above.

Here's the MSDS. Looks like standard, possibly obsolete, oil additive package chemicals to me. The stuff has about 6500ppm ZDDP, so 1 oz/qt. will add 180ppm ZDP. I think using a SMALL amount is a good way to boost a low ZDDP oil in everyday use, but I'm no expert
MSDS of EOS

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Mola, how much is too much?

My question also. If Redline has about 1500 ppm zinc and phos, then we could boost a SL or SM oil up to about that much anyway, right?

Another question. Does added calcium counterbalance against the corrosive potential of high zddp?

CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost (a.k.a., SLOB) has 4700 ppm zinc, 4300 ppm phos, and 7800 ppm calcium. It states to put the entire 15 oz bottle in the crankcase. That will raise you about 400 ppm on zinc and phos. Apparently this is not too much, but maybe without all that calcium it would be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back