Pickup Bed Liner a Bad Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took mine out today after 13 years and 84,000 miles. Bad things happen under the liner:
BedlinerDamage_zpsfe5e6363.jpg

Perhaps the spray in liner is better. No matter, this truck is old and I don't really care if the bed scuffs more. I might even throw some junk back there so it looks more like a pickup.

People don't read the instructions where it says to make sure the bed is clean and dry before installing. You are also supposed to periodically take it out when you wash the truck, same as a bra on a car.

i don't think it looks that bad for a 13 year old truck. i have a spray in liner in mine, i'll give a review in about 5 years.

I've seen worse than that. Instantly sold me on the spray in bed liner. I've passed a few of those plastic bed liners that have flown out of the bed too.

Well I bought it used, but it is pretty likely the lady had the liner from the get go. Also had a tonneau cover, which should have helped keep debris out of it. But your are right, it is not all that bad for 12 years. Probably look far worse without it.

Having had a bunch of trucks across decades I can tell you the above photo is a good example. But it can get a lot worse!

I even lost a liner once on the interstate, blew right out and we never even felt it!

We now put spray-in liners in both our vans and pickups, with the vans getting EVERY surface from the seats back covered! No rust, and a great easy to clean surface that lasts nearly forever.

Looks good to me after 13 years.

Spray in liners do not protect from dents, so if you throw large hunks of fire wood, stone or whatever it's going to get beat up.

The full proof method, lay down a coat of Herculiner ($100) ,then throw in a bedliner !

If you don't care how it looks I would buy a do it yourself bed liner. The bed is already beat up so not much prep is needed.

I do not think it looks bad. But I am told the liner does need to come out so the area can be washed. I am thinking the worst situation is water that gets between the bed and liner and just stays.

What about spraying the bed with a cheap undercoating before popping in the liner?

Yep, well I have the liner up for sale. Anyway, I don't think it is practical to pull it out periodically to wash under it. It was hard to get the one edge out, then it all came out easily. I suspect if you take it out enough it will not fit as well and end up blowing out on the road. Just hope there are no motorcycles behind when it happens.

Also, the piece on the tailgate is mounted with 8 screws. Not really meant to pull out all the time. But I don't care, it's an older truck and I never was all that much of a perfectionist on the body condition. Plenty of other rust on that truck.

if the paint scuffed through to metal, Id be worried. Lots of moisture will build up under the liner and cause fast rust.

Spray liners are also trouble because if there gets to be a pocket or gap, and moisture creeps in there, again, problems...

That's a GREAT looking 13 yr old truck bed. Think of all the scuffs/scrapes/scratches/dents have been prevented.

Put the liner back in and give it a good scrub. It'll look like it did 20 minutes ago.

bed liners, a diaper for a pickup truck. no matter what its still [censored] underneath.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Took mine out today after 13 years and 84,000 miles. .... No matter, this truck is old and I don't really care if the bed scuffs more.

Correct. You mostly preserved the bed for 13 years, now, its OK to go on without a liner, in a not-too-bad-at-all bed.

Really I like what my F150 had better, it was a rubber mat that covered the entire bottom but not the sides and had a mat on the tail gate. That is where 99 percent of the damage occurs in loading and unloading (if you are careful) and the mat is easy to pull out and clean out under. Of course a lot more crud gets under a mat than the bedliner. Maybe the spray on liner for the bottom only is a good way to go. Ha! I liked my '77 F100 step side that had wood planks for the bottom.

Oh, and I got rid of some excess weight too from the liner and from the tonneau.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Really I like what my F150 had better, it was a rubber mat that covered the entire bottom but not the sides and had a mat on the tail gate. That is where 99 percent of the damage occurs in loading and unloading (if you are careful) and the mat is easy to pull out and clean out under. Of course a lot more crud gets under a mat than the bedliner. Maybe the spray on liner for the bottom only is a good way to go. Ha! I liked my '77 F100 step side that had wood planks for the bottom.

Oh, and I got rid of some excess weight too from the liner and from the tonneau.

We tend to push the bed mats more than the drop in liners. The mats take 10 seconds to install vs. 5-15 minutes for some of the liners.

Tall Paul, That looks like a Ford Ranger? I much prefer the rubber mats. They are not slippery when wet and are easy to remove if desired.

Your bed looks great.

I prefer just a bed mat or a spray in liner. Why save the bed? The truck is getting junked eventually anyway, save it for the crusher?

Originally Posted By: HM12460
Tall Paul, That looks like a Ford Ranger? I much prefer the rubber mats. They are not slippery when wet and are easy to remove if desired.

Yep, 2001 with 2.3L DOHC 16-Valve and 5-speed MT. A lot of fun to drive:
RangerExhaust1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back