LC20 and cheap oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has been said before even by lcd, that you can afford to use a cheaper oil and spice it up with LC thanks to it's anti-oxidant capabilities. Would that extend to turbocharged cars? I.e. could you afford to use dino where you couldn't as long as you changed at a decent interval? I've used HDEO's in my saab before but could you add LC to a PCMO dino and sit back and relax?
crushedcar.gif
grin.gif

Brian you crack me up, always trying out crazy oils and coming up with questions like these
tongue.gif

IMO, our 9-5s simply should not be seeing anything other than xW-40 or 50 full synthetics. Given their various issues, anything less is an unnecessary risk to these great cars
crushedcar.gif

If you stay tuned, I will be posting a UOA on a run of Mobil 1 5W-40 with LC sometime later this year. Should make for a good comparo with the no-LC run I posted a couple of months back.

jeff

Well, I was just thinking since I now have a case of Neutra, in addition to the LC20, I can't go too wrong!

I know, I'm a tinkerer. Runs in the family. You should have seen my great grandfather's "shop." Aka where lawnmowers and Ford truck parts went to die. I get so bored when there's nothing to fix. My 900 kept me busy but except for the oil woes, the 9-5 is making me drowsy. Nothing's broken! Major project. I geuss if I keep up with it, it may not stay that way!

But seriously, just thinking about whether or not LC would keep the turbo from attacking the base oil and coking the turbo...

Brian, if I had one of those oil-scorching turbocharged Saabs, it would see nothing but a high grade, full-synthetic oil, *Plus* a healthy dose of Lube Control- say, about 2 oz per qt at fill, then about 2 to 3 oz every 1000 miles. Oil filter? Mann, Wix, Purolator, Motorcraft, AC, Champion, anything but Fram. Oil? I dunno, for a xw30 I'd probably hunt up some German Castrol.

For a good xw40 synthetic you have more choices, lotsa good stuff available- I'd try the BobZoil 5w40, even if it is Group III "synthetic"- at least they'll *tell* you it's GIII, where some other makers won't.
wink.gif
JMO

do you know if your turbo is oil and water cooled, or cooled only with oil? that can have a bearing on the type of oil you use.

for example, on my STi, the turbo is oil and water cooled. dino is fine for the car - but i still do 3k OCI's just to make sure.

It's a watercooled Garrett GT17. The 99-03 4 cyl saabs are notorious for sludging up if not properly cared for. Watercooled or not. It's gotten to the point Saab only recommends full synth for 5k. Long story short it's a combo of many things which I and other saabers have posted 'bout on here before many times.

Stu, I use Supertech filters. I used to use PureOnes but I saw where ST was decent, so...

I have run a dino hdeo but it sheared down to a 30 weight in 2k miles (Castrol Tection). Now, that was w/o LC, though...I wonder if it would help?

I like 40 weights and 5W40 is, of course, one of the recommended weights. I was just thinkin' of spicing up either HM or HDEO oils....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back