Schaeffer oil 1,000,000 Triton engine teardown

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm sure Schaefer's is an excellent oil, I'd bet this engine could have done this on most name brand oils...it probably would have went another million if the rest of the van held up.

Originally Posted By: pbm
While I'm sure Schaefer's is an excellent oil, I'd bet this engine could have done this on most name brand oils...it probably would have went another million if the rest of the van held up.

I kind of agree that most major "syns" would perform similarly, still quite a feat and a great oil no doubt.

Thanks bullwinkle!

This is a strange circumstance. Why was the engine pulled? Why did they just happen to have film crew documenting the results, if they ostensibly didn't know what they were going to find (as would be true if there were a real reason to pull the engine in the first place)?

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
This is a strange circumstance. Why was the engine pulled? Why did they just happen to have film crew documenting the results, if they ostensibly didn't know what they were going to find (as would be true if there were a real reason to pull the engine in the first place)?

As with all this stuff, they know exactly what they will find. And if they don't you can bet all footage will be destroyed and that those present are under heavy NDA's and would be sued into oblivion if they leaked information,

i like this video, they go through most of the basics of what to check for when tearing down an engine.

On the Schaeffer engine, I'd like to know the compression numbers. On the other engine (million mile van), they site says that he was using a quart of oil with every tank of gas, but I can't tell when that started. I don't know if the Schaeffer engine was using any oil.

In both cases, impressive life from an engine.

What I couldn't figure is why they pulled the engine in the first place-it was virtually spotless inside, looked like it could have made it to TWO million! My experience with Econolines is the rest of the van grenades LONG before the engine!

The guy was amazed at how clean the innards were however he musta been looking at a different engine. I swear I saw dark varnish on everything except cam lobe contact points,but even the bottom of the pistons,the connecting rods and even the sides of the crank had dark brown gunk.
Good for them getting a million miles from an engine known for its ability to rack up mileage.
And those chain guides looked like they were replacements and the VC looked as though they may have been off before too.
But that's just my limited observations

That's more of a commercial for Ford than it is for Schaefer Oil. Any way you slice it though, 1,000,000 miles is a long way for one vehicle.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I believe the Million Mile Van (http://www.millionmilevan.com/) ran on 10w40 Valvoline changed at 10-50k miles. It made it to 1,299,996 miles.

A qrt of oil used every tank of gas. Even at 5K miles it always had fresh oil in the pan. Considering it had 1.3 million miles is impressive.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: itguy08
I believe the Million Mile Van (http://www.millionmilevan.com/) ran on 10w40 Valvoline changed at 10-50k miles. It made it to 1,299,996 miles.

A qrt of oil used every tank of gas. Even at 5K miles it always had fresh oil in the pan. Considering it had 1.3 million miles is impressive.
at the end of the motors life it was going to zero oil pressure. i would assume either a clogged pick up screen or oil pump failure?

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
What I couldn't figure is why they pulled the engine in the first place-it was virtually spotless inside, looked like it could have made it to TWO million! My experience with Econolines is the rest of the van grenades LONG before the engine!

Exactly. These days all our GM products have engines that easily outlast the rest of the truck!

Plus this is likely a factory freak motor. I've got one, half a million miles and silent as a new one, no oil use or leaks. They are not all that good!

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

They had been a customer since 1999. The salesrep was aware of a 5ook tear Schaeffers had done in the past and began monitoring this engine arranging the documentary. Schaeffers 700 was the oil of choice at 8k intervals and a bottle of neutra at each oil change.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Exactly. These days all our GM products have engines that easily outlast the rest of the truck!

Plus this is likely a factory freak motor. I've got one, half a million miles and silent as a new one, no oil use or leaks. They are not all that good!

No doubt full of sludge and severly coked rings. Too bad he didn't take better care of the vehicle as the one the OP mentions. Hyw miles are a real plus for these very high mileage vans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back