I called Purolator about PL14610 flow rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called Purolator about the PureONE 14610 flow rate for my Honda application. I was given the phone number of a engineer there and I spoken with him for a while. I gave him my email address so he could give me the info. Here is what he sent me....
The flow rate of the PureONE to the Honda oil filters.

P/N 3 gpm
Honda 0.9
Purolator 2.4

I emailed him back because I was confused, and he quickly emailed back with this...

Hi ______, at 3 pgm they are 0.9 psi and 2.4 psi.

Can anyone explain this to me?? Im still confused. Can you put it in terms I can understand, or just explain what it means. Thanks!

At 3 GPM, the Honda oil filter has a pressure differential across the media of 0.9 psi. The PureOne has a pressure differential across the media of 2.4 psi.

Bottom line, They will both flow 3 GPM, but the Honda filter is offering less resistance to flow.

oh ok...how much do oil pumps flow in spirited driving, like up to 4000-5000 rpm? how many gallons per minute?

I don't think the higher restriction of the P1 matters too much. My guess is the flow is about 3 gpm at the RPMs you stated. That said I wouldn't run a PI longer than about 5K miles or maybe 8K or the full recommend OCI, but never reuse and run it two OCI.

Why not just use a Purolator classic. It's more efficient than the Honda filter and probably less restrictive than a P1.

Dude, seriously, at this rate you are going to be the most informed person on the planet about PL14610 filters. You've taken this a little far. (see previous posts)

Why are you getting so deep into this analysis?

Filters are not really rated by flow rate. Their rating is exactly what he gave you: At X flow rate, what is the resistance to flow? A filter should never say "flows 3 Gallons per Minute." That's not useful data (at least not in this case because we know the filter is of sufficient size to accommodate the application). The data you want for a filter is how much resistance is there at a given flow rate. Flow rate is determined by the oil pump, not the filter. If you look up specifications on your oil pump, not the filter, you will have more luck, but even this is not really useful. The flow rate of the pump is fine, if not you would be having issues. What is your end goal here?

It would be cool if the unit of measurement was explicitly stated in that response.

I've used P1 in the past, but don't truly see the value added these days. Stopped using them altogether. Mainly the delta P thing as my reasoning, based on their statement not to use P1 in motorcycle apps.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I don't think the higher restriction of the P1 matters too much. My guess is the flow is about 3 gpm at the RPMs you stated. That said I wouldn't run a PI longer than about 5K miles or maybe 8K or the full recommend OCI, but never reuse and run it two OCI. Why not just use a Purolator classic. It's more efficient than the Honda filter and probably less restrictive than a P1.

Because the Classic has a nitrile adbv, and they seem to let oil by, at least in my engine, cause it to have more start up tick than i liked. What would be "too high" psid for a filter, i see you said the purolators higher restriction wouldnt matter too much.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Did he really respond with units of "psi," or was it "psid"?
yes those are his exact words

One oil filter to use giving peace of mind is the S2000 filter. Around 2000, Honda was using one filter across the line-up including the S2000. P0H and PR3 were the filters used back then, both very similar. When they downsized the filter size and construction with the PLM, the S2000 filter was spun off to PCX. The PCX filter is very very similar to the old P0H and PR3 filters. It's the one to use if you have an older model. People have used the S2000 filter in other Honda engines and not noticed any difference in oil pressure.

I'm switching to this one after having issues with the ADBV in what are considered top filters like M1 and P1. Part number for S2000 filter is 15400-PCX-004. It has been tried and tested by many already.

Here's some flow and pressure data I've accumulated :

Code:
Oil pump flow rate at 6000 rpm (qt/min):

K24- 57

K20- 57

B18B- 53

B18C 7600rpm- 75

Prelude- 63

NSX- NA

S2000- 62

04-08 TL 6300rpm 56

Minimum oil pressure specification at idle/3000rpm (psi) at 176F:

Honda K24- 10/44

Honda K20- 10/44

Integra B18B- 10/50

Integra B18C- 10/50

Prelude- 10/50

NSX 10/50

S2000- 36/85

04-08 TL- 10/71

Last edited:
... more start up tick than i liked. What would be "too high" psid for a filter

Greg: Nobody knows outside of high dollar race teams - nobody has a good setup to test PSID in situ.
In practical terms You dont want to see more psid than the bypass is rated for ( typ ~9 psid ). You will see more bypass at high rpm with hot thin oil than cold oil as the bearing out flow is highly restricted with the cold viscous lubricant evidencing 400 - 10000 cSt thus the filter media cross flow is low(er). Reacal that the engine oiling system at the OUTLET of the filter is very restrictive to cold oil. The filter outlet is NOT pumping into a big open orifice into atmosphere - its pumping through bearing(s) with tight 0.0005" axial clearance.

If the HONDA S2000 is too tight a fit (15400-PCX-004) Try the WIX 57356 or the ACDELCO PF2057 ,I bet the purolator P1 and your honda wont get along. I had oiling issue/excessive racket and now see none with these two filters on my little L15A7.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

If the HONDA S2000 is too tight a fit (15400-PCX-004) Try the WIX 57356 or the ACDELCO PF2057

The S2000 filter is the same size as the old Honda filter(s) and afaik the same size as the aftermarket filters spec'd for Honda engine, like M1-104. There shouldn't be a fitment issue.

ok, is the s2000 filter better at filtering or something? or is it just bigger? does it have different media than the a02 or a01?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
ok, is the s2000 filter better at filtering or something? or is it just bigger? does it have different media than the a02 or a01?

No one can give you specs for the filter except Honda. It's better constructed than PLM and is bigger, the same size the Honda filters used to be. The attraction is the OEM Honda ADBV. There's more than enough through a google search.

Yes, S2000 is 10 at idle, 85 at 3k. Those who have used the S2k filter in engines spec'd with 10/50 psi relief did not notice any pressure difference.

Greg,

FWIW, the few times I tried P1 filters, I experienced displeasure with them as well. I asked about the 'restrictiveness' of the P1 filters on the oil filters board and was rebuked for it. 'P1 filters are the best filters out there and they'll flow more than your engine requires and yada yada yada' they said. But whatever, I didn't 'like' them in my application so I shut up, switched to a filter that my truck likes better, and moved on. If you don't like the P1 for some reason, pick a different filter. You're not going to get anyone on this board to tell you anything you want to hear about the P1, so move on. There are other good filters out there with silicone ADBVs - pick one and try it out.

And stop talking bad about their precious P1 or they'll condemn you for it.

And BTW, it is generally understood that Japanese OE filters are 'flow over filration', and the P1 is the polar opposite. Try something in between.

Greg, is your Honda highly modified with some sort of forced induction?

I would say that there are many happy P1 users on the Honda 2.4 I4. I used them with my two 2.4 engines and would use them again if I owned one today.

I also used them following the official Honda FCI and the car did not blow up.

If you are worried about P1 causing start up noise, look into a Napa Gold or a Carquest Blue filter for your application. Very identical to Wix filters with Silicone ADBV and everything. I really like the 85334 filter in the Acura right now. So much so that I might just make it my go to filter for this vehicle pending winter cold start review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back