diesel oil in gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hear some opinions. My opinion is no and every time it comes up people always say it's the best thing for a flat tappet engine. I say no for 2 reasons because at some point diesel and gas oils branched off. The older oils were ok for non turbo diesels but at some point the api ratings changed. My line of thinking is oil co's did that for a reason & I'd like to know why? What are the pros (if any) and the cons ? I had some Rotella around here and just to be sure I emailed them and Shell said NO and directed me to another kind of oil they make for gas engines. If someone can explain this to me I'd appriciate it either way.I tryed the search but I'm not to good with ps's, didn't find anything so if someone could give me some links to threads that would be great.

Too generic a statement to be worthwhile.

Many "diesel" oils meet gasoline specs...so they're 1. Not just "diesel oils" and 2. Perfectly suitable for gasoline engines requiring that specification.

E.G. Mobil 1 5w40 also meets SL, SM and SN...so it's fine in my Volvo that specifies a synthetic SL....

......passenger car oils changed because of the epa and reduced the amount of zddp, diesel oils have healthier amounts. Some diesel oils will in time harm catalytic convertors, though I have not seen it.

Many people use Rotella T in a gas boat engine since its gas and diesel rated. I would not use an oil that did not meet the specs for the engine. Period.

If you have an older high performance flat tappet engine then Amsoil makes ZROD.

As mentioned above it's an EPA thing. I've used these oils in all of my non-cat cars over the years and they're not only great oils, but very inexpensive. The manufacturer (in this case Shell's rep) can only steer you to the EPA approved product.
Bill

I run T6 because it's a synthetic 5w-40. Cheaper than any other 5w-40 on the market.

And it has high ZDDP ... but I'm not sure that's a real argument on the Jeep 4.0

My father has a Chevy Suburban that has approx 360,000 miles on the odometer. Nearly all of it's life has been run with Shell Rotella, Kendall and DA Lubricants Extra Treated Diesel 15w-40 oils and it's still running pretty darned good. Engine has never been torn apart.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I run T6 because it's a synthetic 5w-40. Cheaper than any other 5w-40 on the market.

And it has high ZDDP ... but I'm not sure that's a real argument on the Jeep 4.0
And it is also rated "SM" for gasoline engines.

Originally Posted By: quagmired
I had some Rotella around here and just to be sure I emailed them and Shell said NO and directed me to another kind of oil they make for gas engines.

It depends, of course. Shell (and most other oil companies) would recommend you use what's specified, and that's SM/GF-4 or SM/GF-5 for most recent vehicles. Under warranty, that could be important.

The biggest "branching off" you see is different viscosities for gasoline engines and ILSAC ratings. You can get a 10w-30 SN/GF-5 PCMO, but a 10w-30 HDEO is going to be significantly thicker. It might be SM or SN, but it won't meet GF-5.

Most oil companies just want to protect their behinds. They don't want to be on the hook for a failure if they recommended you use an unapproved motor oil. Some oil companies are more open with it. XOM specifically recommends Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 for high performance gasoline applications, along with the laundry list of formal diesel builder approvals it possesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back