How good is Royal Purple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I was wondering how good would Royal Purples 5w-20 synthetic oil be for average half city half highway use in the winter around -20 Celsius (approx 10,000 km)

It will preform as good as any other synthetic 5W20.

The biggest knock you will get on here about Royal Purple(RP) around here is the cost. But from my understanding in Canada that is a different story.

Royal Purple is a good oil that suffers from lower than average sales - hence the higher price to stay in business.

Other companies have generally caught up to or exceeded Royal Purple's quality and are a better value for the dollar.

I'm trying to be objectively kind, here.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It will preform as good as any other synthetic 5W20.

The biggest knock you will get on here about Royal Purple(RP) around here is the cost. But from my understanding in Canada that is a different story.

I'd say it's as good as any other 5W-20 dino but there are better 5W-20 syn's.

As far as Canada is concerned, it's over priced here as well.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Has to rate as one of the top 10 most ridiculous BITOG RP bash posts ever.

Originally Posted By: Whimis
Hello all, I was wondering how good would Royal Purples 5w-20 synthetic oil be for average half city half highway use in the winter around -20 Celsius (approx 10,000 km)

It is excellent oil.

I should have asked what vehicle you plan on using it in?

I would only pay RP prices if the oil was proven to be far superior than the other stuff, but its not. So why would I pay absurd prices for it????

It is a excellent oil. I have used the SL 5w20/5w30. I have used the new SN 5w20/5w30 as well. I am wanting to try the 0w20. When my stash of 25qts of RP, 10qts PU, 10qts of GC run out I'm going to give the 0w20 a shot.
I have used RP on and off for the last 9 years or so.
In my car it showed FAR less wear then M1 according to UOAs I have run. But who trusts those little $20 waists of money right..lol
It is on par with PU in my opinion when you are comparing the SN oils.

It's a great $5 oil if you figure the added coloration is worth $3. However, it's still black when it drains out of your engine sump.

Last edited:

Assuming the trips aren't ridiculously short or you don't have massive fuel dilution, no problem. I did OCIs of that long with conventional in taxis in the 1980s.

You have to compare regular priced synthetics at the same store. In that regard, RP is priced between M1 and M1 EP. It just doesn't get rolled back the way the other brands do.

And I, personally, can get RP cheaper through one of my suppliers than many other products. Their price on 0w-40 by the quart is still about a twenty-five cents per quart cheaper than the Imperial Oil distributor.

If one wants to save the big bucks, though, one has to follow the rollbacks or hit the distributor. Buying RP isn't going to bankrupt anyone though, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I knew the RP police would show up when I saw the topic.
Nothing wrong with RP, just as there is nothing wrong with any API SN syn-labeled oil.
When RP can be bought for $22.47/jug at Walmart, I'll give it a try.
Meanwhile, back in the garage, I have lots of PP, PU, QSUD, SSO and so on just wating their turn for their miles of glory in an engine.
Until I can buy RP FAR or really cheap on closeout or CL, I'll pass.
Nothing special about RP.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I knew the RP police would show up when I saw the topic.
Nothing wrong with RP, just as there is nothing wrong with any API SN syn-labeled oil.
Meanwhile, back in the garage, I have lots of PP, PU, QSUD, SSO and so on just wating their turn for their miles of glory in an engine.
Until I can buy RP FAR or really cheap on closeout or CL, I'll pass.
Nothing special about RP.

Yes this guy is clearly over sensitive.
Both RP 5W-20 and 5W-30 with VIs of 153 and 162 respectively are below average for a synthetic oil and no better than an typical dino. That's one main reason for buying a syn' oil in the first place,to be lighter on start-up.

As dparm mentioned their 0W-20 is more interesting as are their 0W-40 and 5W-40 grades if you can get them cheaper than M1.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Up here, Walmart charges more than that on regular priced conventional.

Yes but there is always something on sale.
12-13 bucks for a jug of dino and a syn' for not much more than 20 bucks for 5/10W-20/30 oil at least here in Ontario.

Well, that's basically my point. We do have to compare things fairly, and RP isn't carried by Walmarts here any longer. When they did, I never saw a rollback. Canadian Tire and Partsource carry RP, but I haven't seen much in the way of discounts there, either. I can get it for substantially cheaper than the normal retail price, but not everyone can, so we have to be fair if we're comparing pricing.

From a philosophical standpoint, I don't have a huge problem with something like RP costing a bit more. They're not going to compete with XOM, SOPUS, Ashland, Chevron, or BP on economies of scale, or on distribution. Sometimes, buying something from the local mom and pop parts store has its own rewards.

I can get even a single quart of RP delivered to my place of business for only the cost of the oil. The only way I would be able to get away with that from the big guys would be a drum or more.

RP gets a bad rap here because most here use the cheapest oil they can buy that meets the spec they need. Ive used royal purple SN a few times and was very happy with it.

yes i do believe it is a little expensive when being compared at walmarts 5qt jug prices, however step into any auto chain store and it will be priced competitively with the majors per qt.

also my walmart carrys RP for about $8 a qt. buying individual quarts of PP,PU,M1 will cost almost the same. Royal purple is being competitive price wise when selling by the QT.

If RP were able to sell 5qt jugs at walmart for the price of M1/PP i believe many of the RP bashers here would be praising it for its amazing value and quality.

Last edited:
Isn't the VI of M1 like 175? So what's your point the only synthetics worth a hoot by your VI statement are Sustaina and TGMO. Even Amsoil is ho hum and in the 170's.
VI is not the holly grail of synthetic oil properties.

If I could get a better than average oil for $22.50 for a 5 quart jug, maybe I'd try it.
24.gif

Till then I will use up my mixed stash.
Hey, wasn't PU almost free a few weeks ago after all the rebates stacked? NOW THERE is a good value.
PU is WAY better in the 5w20/5w30 flavors then M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back