Long term use of Honda OEM oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever read up on Million Mile Joe? That guy drove his Honda Accord a million miles and he said that he always used Honda air and oil filters and changed oil every 5k. I was never able to find anywhere what brand oil he used but he did say he used the OEM filters. They seem to work okay for him
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: redhat
Mental health will drive you mad...
What is really sad is that I come to the forum off and on throughout the day to get away from the madness at work!

Maybe the answer to the OP's question is to try an (over-sized) High efficiency premium filter.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Anyone that has used the Honda OEM oil filter for the life of there car?

Me. A02 for all but two A01s. And Million Mile Joe.

I've got 406,000 miles currently. Oil pressure is good. Oil consumption is about 900 or 1,000 miles per quart. Oil consumption is probably due to high piston-travel.

Below is the only UOA I've ever had done, back when I was still using Castrol GTX:
analysis.jpg

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Its what you do just after installing a Honda or Toyota OE filter.

Really? From posts I have seen here, the OEM Honda oil filters are made by FRAM. Does that have anything to do with it?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: surfstar
And that engine will outlast the useful life of the car, as long as you do routine maintenance on it (with any brand of oil and filter that meets the specs).

My neck is hurting from repeated nodding.

+1000

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
We are all mentally ill here but this guy takes the cake.

And to that, I reply with:

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: NJC
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
We are all mentally ill here but this guy takes the cake.

And to that, I reply with:

lol.gif

13.gif

I had an 89 Accord that had that startup rattle with certain brands of filters but would only do it on the first cold start of the day. It was totally due to the ADBV design on each filter. I guess there might be something in the design of Honda's oil pickup and/or filter mount that allows oil to drain out of many filters. I never used OEM filters on the car in its whole 23 years, but I can't say why. Usually, I didn't let 1/2 second of rattle "rattle" me too much, but it did mean that I would stop using that filter. There were a good number of brands that didn't cause that - most Frams (including OCOD), PureOne, Mahle, Bosch (only Distance+), Wix, and SuperTech.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Anyone that has used the Honda OEM oil filter for the life of there car?

Me. A02 for all but two A01s. And Million Mile Joe.

I've got 406,000 miles currently. Oil pressure is good. Oil consumption is about 900 or 1,000 miles per quart. Oil consumption is probably due to high piston-travel.

Below is the only UOA I've ever had done, back when I was still using Castrol GTX:

analysis.jpg

Thanks Tegger, I appreciate this!

Last edited:
i would just like some proof one way or the other, not people opinions

You're going to have problem finding what you're looking for, particularly if you're looking for something with results with mathematical rigour behind them.

First off, UOAs only indirectly tell you about wear. You cannot compare two UOAs, even in the same vehicle using the same oil but with different filters, and say that one combination is wearing twice as much (or half as much) as the other. Beyond that, you're going to need a rather large sample size of identical conditions with no variables except the oil filter, and that's not going to be feasible.

So, anything you get will be an opinion based upon some very weak data. Generally, it's nice to have more efficient filtration. How will it affect the lifespan of your vehicle? That's where it gets tricky and may well lie outside statistical significance.

I've sent many taxis off to the parking garage in the sky due to collisions. I've never had to rebuild an engine due to inadequate filtration, though. Buy a good filter (be it OEM or a decent aftermarket one) and enjoy.

Thanks Tegger, I appreciate this!

You're welcome.

I'm not sure why people get so hung up on the absolute particulate-filtration efficiency of a filter. Below a certain size, particles are not harmful to an engine. Much more important than absolute filtration is flow and pressure; OE Honda filters (and I'm sure those for other makes) are designed to remove the most harmful particles while maintaining the flow and pressure needed to prevent other kinds of damage, such as that from cold startups, which is when a large part of bearing damage occurs.

Laymen may consider the A02 a lousy filter, but I think my UOA and my engine's longevity tell otherwise.

I absolutely agree, many times over, that people get caught up way too much with the marketed efficiency numbers, beta ratios, etc. Honda's OEM filter got at least one 1991 Acura Integra to over 400,000 miles. That means that the filtration is sufficient to deliver wear that's low enough for engine life that's longer than 99% of people will ever own their vehicles. Your engine may go kaput before 406,000 miles, but the filter you have on it is likely not going to be the cause.

Use whatever filter you like, change it at reasonable intervals, and quit worrying so much about the details. This would be similar to obsessing over a hot viscosity of 8.51 cSt vs. 8.74 cSt. In the end, it just doen't make a hill of beans.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: redhat
Mental health will drive you mad...

Bang your head.

Thank you! Great song.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I absolutely agree, many times over, that people get caught up way too much with the marketed efficiency numbers, beta ratios, etc. Honda's OEM filter got at least one 1991 Acura Integra to over 400,000 miles. That means that the filtration is sufficient to deliver wear that's low enough for engine life that's longer than 99% of people will ever own their vehicles. Your engine may go kaput before 406,000 miles, but the filter you have on it is likely not going to be the cause.

Use whatever filter you like, change it at reasonable intervals, and quit worrying so much about the details. This would be similar to obsessing over a hot viscosity of 8.51 cSt vs. 8.74 cSt. In the end, it just doen't make a hill of beans.

Yeah, I would just use Honda filters and be done with it because I like the fact that they are made to Hondas specs. But just the low efficiency numbers were bothering me, i am more confident in them now. I see Honda rates them 85% efficient at 40 microns..but what would be a micron size that would actually be "damaging" do engine parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back