1995 Taurus running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
I took out about 7 quarts, and put 2 back in.

Am I to believe the transmission was 5 quarts overfilled...?

Are you checking the fluid level with the dipstick using the correct procedure or just shotgunning eleventy new posts on BITOG instead of doing it correctly?

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I took out about 7 quarts, and put 2 back in.

Am I to believe the transmission was 5 quarts overfilled...?

Are you checking the fluid level with the dipstick using the correct procedure or just shotgunning eleventy new posts on BITOG instead of doing it correctly?

It was 5 quarts overfull. I even took a pic of the 7 quarts removed.. The 2 quarts in were new, so I didn't pic them.

It got that way because two parts stores were sold out of the orange pump, then I found the orange pump and un-did the manner of fixing I had tried.

Since when have I ever done anything correctly. ?

^^ Enough of all that. Got our own drama club on here. Simmer down.

As to the car. I tended to its transmission. It is now cooling. It was WAAAY overfull. The fluid was very hot, as well. The car is running better each day, sure, but with $800 into it I may want to break even.

So if anyone needs a car around here, please let me know!

Since when have I ever done anything correctly. ?

Putting the fluid level per spec is a step in the right direction.

Wow - I go away for a few days and so much happens. Please be sure to use the dipstick in the transmission to make sure you have the correct amount of fluid inside your tranny. Follow directions, motor at operating temp, car in park, parking brake on, vehicle on level surface. Check fluid. It wouldn't hurt to cycle a couple of gallons through the transmission. DO NOT UNDERFILL, DO NOT OVERFILL. Keep cycling fluid through until it comes out clean. Then you're done. When fluid is clean, add one bottle of Lubegard Red.

@GHT:

(BTW I don't know if it was intentional or not but the letters GHT are contained within your new screen name.) LOL
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

Inquiring minds want to know.

What happened to "your BIG lady friend" with the old Volvo?
Is she still in a band?

Why did you leave Burger King?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Wow - I go away for a few days and so much happens. Please be sure to use the dipstick in the transmission to make sure you have the correct amount of fluid inside your tranny. Follow directions, motor at operating temp, car in park, parking brake on, vehicle on level surface. Check fluid. It wouldn't hurt to cycle a couple of gallons through the transmission. DO NOT UNDERFILL, DO NOT OVERFILL. Keep cycling fluid through until it comes out clean. Then you're done. When fluid is clean, add one bottle of Lubegard Red.

Hmmm, I must check it again, to avoid possible underfilling. It surely has been overfull.

How long did you leave each add of new fluid in before siphoning it back out?

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy

Hmmm, I must check it again, to avoid possible underfilling. It surely has been overfull.

7 days.

How long did you leave each add of new fluid in before siphoning it back out?

Warer pump will be changed by end of day. Oil, too.

Coolant: 50/50 distilled/Autozone Concentional Green.

As to Water Pump gasket material.. Permatex Ultra Black, or Red? Guy says he usually uses the Red. Best one for WP?

Sounds like my head gasket is ok, at least I am thinking so, the car runs better with the proper fluid level. Shall I buy some flush to put in, for the time it takes to get it from here to there?

(Flush will not damage or enlarge a head gasket leak hole, if there is one, will it?)

Surely I should not put in a sealer from here to there.......

Are you sure the tranny is 5 quart overfill?

One thing I notice is my car would burp ATF when hot in the past no matter how precise it was filled.

Then I found out online that a stuck ATF vent is a common problem. When the tranny warm up, the air expand and pushes ATF out through the dip stick. There is a TSB on it and you can buy a new vent designed to fix it ($17 from dealer) and add a snorkel tube on it ($3 from parts store) to make it works better. After that no more burping and the tranny runs good.

Last edited:
I am letting some "rumbling tank" (with NO bubbling coolant, just non-bubbling coolant) cool down, then I am back on my way.

Working on it (I don't think it is a bad looking car)

1004407_517723318294219_373676826_n.jpg

Coolant drained (mostly water, actually all water)

1005044_517736998292851_832834929_n.jpg

Old water pump, 1 (mechanic said you can't do it with your hand, but it will turn at the belt and not as much at the impeller. Bearing was shot, had much resistance.)

999314_517722074961010_43869687_n.jpg

The water looked like a rainbow. Is that normal?

400768_517718241628060_1609713408_n.jpg

UPDATE: The car runs REALLY good now!! Trans is shifting with NO SLAMS AT ALL, maybe a little rough but a LOT better.

The water looked like a rainbow. Is that normal?

There's a film of oil sitting on top of that water. You may have dribbled when you were doing what-all with the trans fluid. Put a drop of diluted Simple Green or similar degreaser on the rainbow and watch as a circle of rainbowlessness expands. It's a nice show. Well, that or I'm just too easily amused.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back