Are fuel additives needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to put a fuel additve in my girlfriend's Honda. Someone told her that a fuel additive would NOT harm her car. But gas today is much cleaner and better than it was 20 years ago. And that fuel additive is not necessary like it used to be.

I imagine gas is cleaner today. But it seems to be the concensus on this board that fuel additives are worthy and usefull. I'm going to continue using additives on my own car.

What do you all think of the argument against?

Almost everyday I work on cars that have plugged EGR ports and dirty fuel injectors, which cause the CHK ENG light to come on. I'm positive that this is caused by poor fuel quality. I use FP60 in my car and havent had any of the above problems.

Todays gasoline will leave deposits, so it's a good idea to use a cleaner of some sort.

Yeah even the high end gas that has good additives in it already(Chevron Techron in the house) don't really have it in enough of any amount to do too much. We get some pretty low quality gas here in PA, esp the good ol E10 blends, so every 1000 miles I will add in just a bit of fuel system cleaner, not a full dose keep in mind just a bit of a helper.

If you dont want to order FP, and would like to get one from say your local Walmart, I would highly recommend Gumout Regane. Its a very good product and always has cleaned up the full system in one tank. After you run it, I would think about scheduling an oil change as sometimes the gunk can get into the oil, not a huge issue but just a good idea.

I use MMO in Shell V-power all the time and
even though the car didn't run bad It DID
run better after doing back to back doses of
Seafoam then Chemtool B12. The mileage has also
gone up by 1/2 mile to the gallon plus you
can feel the difference in your foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back