how about mixing gasolines ona fill up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had an idea earlier today, what would happen, if you fill half your near empty tank on lets say SHell gas, and then fill the other half of the tank with Amoco gas? would the additives actually make a cleaner engine? or would it probably do little of nothing at all? jsut wanted to share, and see what everyone thinks
tongue.gif

Ziggy,

First) Way to go! Noticeable improvement when using spellcheck!
patriot.gif

Second) I heard someone, way back when, say that you get more octane by buying half a tank of Supra Ultra and half regular as opposed to buying a full tank of premium (upper grade).

Looking at the numbers i thought this might have some truth to it. However it would be such a small minute amount. Immaterial, as we accountants say.

I wonder what others think of this.

I've opted for some Gumout Regane, myself.

best of luck

Around my neck of the woods the octane usually runs 87, 89, and 93, but the pricing will be equal increments between them, so 50/50 of 87 and 93 I assume gets you 90 for the price of straight 89. The trick is to go 50/50 when you are trying to get the tank filled. Suppose you could run two pumps at once, alternating the handles to try and keep it even.

Well, if your car can take advantage of advanced ignition by running a higher octane level than 87, and the advantage of doing so is more than the inherent decrease in BTU's in additive-ized 93 anti-knock index fuel, you could end up with a car that performs marginally better. Or, not. It depends.

Personally, I've begun running the cheapest fuel from a busy station, and adding 1 ounce of Fuel Power per 5 gallons. The stumble at idle is gone. Fuel economy is up, but, that could be for several reasons...or, it may be the FP.

You guys on the east coast always get the high octane gas. Around here, we get 87, 89, and most premium is only 91. The 91 is 20 cents above the 87. I'm glad none of my vehicle require premium...

TallPaul, I remember reading on BITOG before that 89 or midgrade as it comes out of the pump is just a mix of 87 and premium. Gas stations only have two seperate grades in the ground and then mix them to get the midgrade. That's just something I remember reading on here, don't remember from who or when.

I wouldnt bother mixing a cocktail at the pump. Just buy the lowest octane gas your car can run well, and add a bit of FP or something else. Besides, there isnt really enough of the cleaners out of the pump to do much anyways.

Surfstar, I remember reading that also. Surely Sunoco does not carry five grades. I believe our Sunocos have 86, 87, 89, 93, and 94.

psudaytona, the problem is if you need 87 you feel cheated paying a higher per octane price than with either regular or premium. I know, the price difference is negligible and it makes as much sense ad driving 4 miles to the grocery store to return a $1.25 item that is bad, when economically it is better to throw the item out. But is come cases (like wife's Aerostar) 89 just might not be enoug but 93 is big time overkill. (Italian tuneups cure the Aerostar knock but it keeps coming back).

lol thanks for noticing skate1968
wink.gif
i wa told by a few people, a mechanic, nad an auto store guy that wanted to open his own gas station once, said that all 89 is, is just what surfstar said, its a mix of 87 and 93. we also have 87, 89, and 93 here and diesel. however our local sunoco has 94 octane, and a GEtty gas station, has 92 octane. wierd octanes hugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back