Plain Top Tier Gas or Cheap Wally Gas + FP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
additive levels in top tier gasoline are absolutely miniscule compared to what you'd be getting with FP + minimal additive package generic gas. I say give the WW gas a shot, nothing to lose really

I believe that Terry stated that he uses the lowest cost fuel he can find combined with Fuel Power.

As long as the gas is from a busy station, I think it is a great strategy...because that's what I'm doing. Have my little bottle of FP in my vehicle for every time I fill up! If I'm wrong, we can be wrong together (hmmm, sounds like the beginning of a CW song).

Since the next nearest gas station (grocery store pump) is ten miles away, I almost always go the Chevron mini-mart which is just three miles away. It is a top-tier gas and the techron additive is suppose to be very good. However, I still use FP60 every time I fill up. If there was cheaper gas around me (today, the Chevron was $2.79), I would not hesitate to use it as long as I add FP60. Another thing is that lately, Chevron has been within a penny or two of the cheap gas stations.

Some of top-tier pumps here are labeled for 10% ethanol so I avoid them, not top-tier in my mind.

Busy stations? You hear this all the time and it made sense to me also. That is until I talked to a (not busy) station owner up the street. My concern was about the premium fuel, how fresh it was as not many people buy it around here. He dug out paperwork and showed me that he only sells avg 125 gal a week. BUT, he orders based on what he sells so the tanks are replenished once a week. He owns 5 stations and all work the same way. Worse case scenero the premium should only be 7 days old, and this is station that is out in the middle of nowhere.

Also of note was the tank water content was higher on the high turnover reg fuel. His explantion was the water comes in from the trucks and supply chain. The tanks that pump the most fuel through end up with more water and require more frequent hydrosorbic filter replacement (or pumps run slow).

I cannot determine if Quiktrip was the true reason why my gas mileage went down noticeably, but I went back to using Murphy USA (Wal-Mart) gas and my gas mileage is up to what it was before I used Quiktrip.

Here is what has made me question this. I was always using Murphy USA and was averaging 22 mpg, I then switched to Quiktrip, and every average was 20 mpg or below. I managed 21 mpg one time with an average of two fill-ups, but one of those fill-ups was at Murphy USA. This is not scientific, it could be because it was the winter blend, but I had started using Quiktrip at the end of summer, and noted the difference then as well. Also, I always filled up at the exact same pump, and my driving styles were pretty much the same. All scheduled maintenance was performed and there was no decrease or increase in gas mileage.

I use the Amsoil Performance Improver, did not see any major differences with it, but I do know that gas quality is never consistent. I haven't used the Fuel Power before, but I'd trust Terry on his stand of getting the cheapest gas he can find and using Fuel Power.

RTexasF got it right.
I run the cheapest stuff I can find and use FP every tank.
I actually like ethanol in gas and FP60 seems to improve even E85 operation and efficiency.

TD

from the sounds of it everything is or will have ethanol in it soon. So buy the cheapest, it all the same. Here in the NW there are only 4 or 5 refineries and umteen brands that get gas from whoever along with prices that very from 10 to 20+cents from one side of the street to the other. About the only brand you can count on anymore as to it being what it is and that's -I hate to say it- ARCO(BP). All the other brands are either NO names coming from whoever or Shell-Chevron-Texaco(who left this area-but is still here in name along with Exxon in some places-JUST NAMES) The Shell's added stations when Texaco left because the Chevron refinery wasn't big enough to serve all the Texaco's and themselves so Shell got most of them being they and Texaco had been together before the buyout. It's whatever is cheapest for me anymore along with the 2oz.s of UCL per 6 to 8 gal fillup. ($2.939 this morning on the way to work-tomarrow ?????????/the Shell across the street was $3.069!!!!!!!)

I take a min 2mpg hit in mpg (down to 36 from 38-40) in my hyundai with the 10% eth stuff, run quality is fine. My octane tester (old suburu) will ping on it and I have to back the timing off 2deg when I end up with a tankfull. That's why I avoid it and don't consider it "top tier". I know it's just a matter of time when we won't have a choice, but until that time it's not worth saving 2-3 cents.

I just purchased a 32oz bottle of FP60 for a trial to see if I have a use for this product. It does seem to be uniformly liked by everyone though.

FP60 works great in the lousy BP/ARCO gasoline sold here in the West. ARCO gas is 10% ethanol, the only gas that gives me lower gas mileage, and is usually the cheapest per gallon, but not the cheapest per mile. FP60 makes it run and produce mileage just like a top tier gas even with FP60. I usually get Tesoro gas from Safeway + FP60, but sometimes when travelling I get top tier 76 or Chevron. All work the same if FP60 is added. I'm running a turbo Volvo that calls for 91 or 92 octane gasoline, and I'm running 87 + FP60 and can not tell the difference either in the feel of full throttle power nor in gas consumption.

Tesoro refines about 560,000 bbls of crude daily, has 500 Tesoro stations, and wholesales 200,000 bbls daily to other brands. One barrel of petroleum is 42 gallons.

Ken

Martyi said "today, the Chevron was $2.79"----I NEVER thought I'd see the day when I would think that was CHEAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back