Tranny oil as an additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vintage 50s car with a V8 engine.
I have for the past 20 years added a half litre of tranny oil to the crankcase at every oil change. Good idea or bad? I am not alone as I know many vintage car owners that do the same.
The reasoning is that tranny oil is a excellant lubricant. Not had a engine problem and it runs smoothly and quietly. Of course I do not use tranny oil in my 2005 car as engines today are a bit different than the V8 of 50 years ago. But maybe tranny oil in new cars would not be a bad idea? Thoughts. Testing required?

tranny oil as in ATF? Not recommended. Although, really it's about like using MMO. There are numerous threads on this. Try a search.

You can search and find several threads about this. I recall reading that modern ATF isn't formulated the same way as it was back in the day, so this trick doesn't do as much as it used to. Also motor oils are more sophisticated now, less need for outside help.

But if it works for you...
dunno.gif

If you are talking about ATF it is thinner than the oil that you are putting in your engine so you are running it a little thinner. I don't think that ATF handles combustion blow-by quite as well. I suppose a 1/2 ltr. wont really change much of anything. I know people like to spread the myth that ATF is great at cleaning an engine out, but I usually attribute that myth to be the same as being not much different than changing the engine out with a thin motor oil such as 5w-20 and then running a super short oil change interval(idling the engine for awhile) and then changing the oil again.

Back on topic, it probably isn't really good idea, but it probably isn't hurting too badly at only half a bottle either.

Think back in the non detergent oil days tranny fluid may have had more detergency. Today it's the other way around, motor oil has more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back