100 Low Lead avation fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has any one else used this in there street car before?
How about smaller ATV, bikes, boats what ever?
I have been using it in my car for a few weeks mixed with pump gas and it has never ran so good.
For 3.70 a gallon it should run great.

hope it's a pre '72 model with no cat. converter?

a waste unless you have a 10:1 or higher compression engine or a high boost turbo/supercharged engine

av gas has a high concentration of cleaners to reduce gumming during long engine sets, reduce combustion chamber deposits to near zero and to keep those intake valve tulips spotlessly clean for max. takeoff pwr...
save your money and spend it on a large bottle of Gumout Regane once every 5-10k miles

but the gas refiners love your once hefty wallet

I have no O2 sensor, no cat and no problem.
I don't run it straight I only use about 1 or 2 gallons to every 6 of street gas.
3.70 a gallon is to much, well I say that now. Lets see how close regular gets to that price in a few months.
I'm going to Florida Friday night, I'm going to make sure I have plenty of 100LL in the tank and have my 5 gallon can full in then back.

I drove my car to FL last weekend with a tank tainted with a few gallons of 100LL and a 5gal can seat belted in back. So I could lead my gas on the way to FL.
It ran better then ever with leaded gas.
I drove my camaro form Maine to VA the start of this year then a few weeks later I drove to new york.
Big difference, and I have not changed plugs, wires, oil or any thing. Just gas.
It was much quiter then before, when on the interstate I could not hear the engine below 3500rpm. When I got on the gas I could start to hear the engine about 3000rpm.
With out lead I could hear it growning away going down the inter state at about 3000rpm.
With lead, 3000rpm going down the interstate was very quiet.

Ran it 50/50 pump prem in mod snowmobiles and turbo applications. It was just easier and cheaper to get than race fuel. Running it straight required some additional tuning so I just mixed it. 50/50 tests out about 105 r+m/2 octane FWIW. Way more than most steet vehicle would benefit from so I wouldn't pour much in. Also 100LL is anything but low lead (LL), it's stinkin lousey with it so keep it off the hands and don't breathe the exhaust. I've seen used oil come out of airplnes run on it, gray with lead. Even the internal parts get coated with it, nasty stuff.

Next time you mess with it see how much more advance you can dial in. That's where you may see some gain running more octane.

I'd hate to be a passenger in that car in an accident!
128.gif

As far as not breathing the exhaust, well, SOMEONE is breathing it, even if it isn't you. Glad everyone doesn't think this way about leaded fuels...dilution really isn't a viable long-term solution to pollution. What lead does to brains ain't pretty.

I'm thinking that "Low Lead" means low enough not to foul the plugs with a lead oxide coating.
I all ready ran plenty of advance.
I'm not sure I would want to put it in some thing small like a 4 wheeler or sled.
It is even worse in a sled, the exhaust pipe/can is in frount of the driver.
In my car all the exhaust is well behind me.
The quaity control of 100LL is nothing like auto motive gas.
It is tested and filtered from the time of it's manufacture untill the user gets it. Each truck load that goes to the air port is tested and backed up by a lab cert.
It is good stuff.

Something to keep in mind when using aviation fuel for automotive use is that part of the specs is that it must be very vapor restant. That is essentual because of not only temperature changes but also dramaticall lower barametric pressure as altitude increases.

As a result, straight avation fuel in a car may cause the car to be hard to start on cold mornings. Airplanes have fuel heaters to solve this problem without compromising the fuel. As long as you use at least 25% automotive fuel you will be OK, but even then it might be a little hard to start on cold days.

quote:

Originally posted by mechtech:
Running AV gas in hot street cars is an ancient idea - used for decades.

Yes, and it works great. I could increase ignition timing several degrees with an Avation gas mixture and I would guess that I had as much as a 20% power increase if properly tuned for the higher octane. It was never caught in tech inspection since the normal stuff they were looking for wasn't present.

If it were not for the mild lead content I might still ocassionally use it today. I don't have anything today that can tolerate any lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back