protects viscosity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a second STP branded, Lucas knockoff - STP oil stabilizer. One of the listed "functions" of this stuff is that it "protects viscosity." Anyone here have any idea what that Madison Avenue language is supposed to mean? Prevents it from going up? going down? changing at all? ....

Wow, goucho. I would have thought "increases viscosity" would be the language parallel to "thickens." It's a good thing that I did not go into marketing or advertising.

Don't worry, GMorg, you passed the vocabulary test with flying colors.
smile.gif

Most likely the Mad Ave. folks look at it as this stuff will thicken what viscosity you have, and what you have either will or has already thinned, therefore this stuff has "protected" the original viscosity.

Well I heard this stuff is a good bit thinner than the STP Oil Treatment. There was a thread on this stuff a few weeks or so ago. Bruce381 was going to VOA the stuff if someone sent him a sample. I'd do it in a minute, but already have more zddp additive than I can ever use.

Oops.
shocked.gif
Still got it right here! Gotta mail that thing. It's no lucas or oil treatment. Maybe it's a 50 weight or so. But it's definately not goo.

I never have trusted STP products ever sense Grantelle said all his race cars use STP products. Later saw him putting about 1 oz in the 12 quart sump of his racer. STP is all PR without any substance. JMO

quote:

tallpaul use the "juice" yet?
bruce

Sort of. Haven't had an oil change yet, but after my corrected UOA on the Citgo Ultralife showed only around 850 ppm zinc and phosphorus and I am still running that oil, I figured a little boost wouldn't be a bad idea. I drained the empty gallon can into my engine. Figure about 3 ounces went in so I am back up to around 1200 ppm z and p.

The oil will be changed probably early June. Choices are Castrol Start Up, Maxlife or Durablend. All 10w40s. Am leaning towards the Start Up. Crankcase holds 200 oz oil so I believe your recommendation would be for 10 oz of the juice, though I would be more inclined to go 5 ounces. I'll be UOAing this one as I am still trending the lead from the presumed dirt ingestion last summer (UOA lead levels in three OCIs were 476, 124, 64--so, looking a lot better). Also, since zddp levels drop through use, I was thinking that zddp could be added incrementally, say 5 oz initially and then 1 oz every 1000 miles.

BTW, the stuff has a very nice aroma.

sorry you are correct NOW it is 105.

New stuff you have not seen yet BUT metals the same new one has slightly more dispersant thus a higher vis.
bruce

Thanks, I am thinking to run Durablend 10w40 with 5 percent (10 ounces) of the Juice. That will make about 2000 ppm zinc. UOA around 5000 or 6000 miles. Should be doing the oil change in June.

I looked at the STP Oil Stableizer again. I was wrong, the label actually says that it protects against "viscosity build-up". This terminology sounds like the opposite of the above conclusions.

Sounds like the new STP stuff is a zddp additive since zddp will help stabilize the oil. I suspect it is decent stuff, though too pricy when I can get 4500 ppm z and p for $1.99 15 oz bottle CD2 STHP Oil Boost at Odd Lots. But even better I have the PCMO Addivive with 21000 ppm!
freak2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back