Sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turbochargers muffle an engine nicely!
smile.gif

I saw a dude on the Power Tour a while back...red late-80's (last year with no airbag...1989?) Firebird Formula, Dade County, Florida plates, it looked like a stocker with chrome exhaust tips & nice wheels. Stock interior, stock (auto) shifter, no aftermarket gauges...but wait, that's a rollcage tube next to the A-pillar!

It ran 9's on E85, powered by a twin-turbo, intercooled LS1.

Honestly, pretty much any modern 4-door V6 sedan is a "sleeper" in the sense that they look plain but are surprisingly quick. Seriously, think about the fact that pretty much any family sedan these days comes with an optional 270hp+ V6 and 6+ speed transmissions. A new V6 Camry or Accord will outrun almost any muscle car from the 60's-90's. A V6 Accord runs the quarter mile in 14.0, which is faster than a '99-'04 Mustang GT, and even with a '69 Mustang Mach 1.

My 1988 M6 was a sleeper when I owned it back in the early '90s; back then very few people knew what an ///M car was. With a Dinan chip and a Fahey track pipe it made over 300 bhp at the crank- and it caught more than a few Mustang GTs and Z28s by surprise. The car was even protested at a BMW/Porsche Solo I event; the P Car guys thought I had more modifications than the chip and exhaust.
Still, time moves on, the M6 was even slower than my Mazdaspeed, needing a tick over 14 seconds to run the quarter and only topping out at 168...

My buddy had an old eclipse drag car he converted to light road use.

It would run 12s on street tires all day long. That thing was a sleeper.

A Nissan murano turboed is another sleeper... a soccer mom suv with BRUTAL acceleration.

My favorite sleeper, ever, the 350sbc scion xb on tucked drag slicks. That's a 2700)b car before you start removing wiring, airbags, computers. Even with the larger motor and trans, it may have weighed 2800lbs with 475 HP/tq. Since its supposed to run the quarter Mike in 17 seconds stock, that's a sleeper.

Smartuki can be a sleeper from [censored].

Smart car with Suzuki 1300 motor... and Turbo is an option.

Best part of that swap, coming up to a red light and downshifting a little early and catching 12000 rpm. Yeah...thousand!

Also...never, ever, ever toy with a Suzuki grand vitara with the new v6 when cruising at 40+...whoever did that gearing was an idiot...or a genius. They pull harder to 100 than any family car I've seen.

Last edited:
There's a dude around here who has an older Kia Sportage with an LS motor swap in it. Only thing that looks odd is that it's a rare (for this area) 2WD Sportage.

The new Audi S8 is a great Q ship. Very few cars can pull on it in real world conditions.

500E Mercedes were sleepers in their day, slap a 300E badge on it and if they don't notice the fender flares...

The Mustang sure makes a lot of noise...the fantastically done AWD system and transmission in the Audi just put down numbers. The best part is my grandmother could get the same numbers in the S8.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Also...never, ever, ever toy with a Suzuki grand vitara with the new v6 when cruising at 40+
the Equinox clone? Come on, really?

The Mustang spun off the line on what looked like a horrid track.

I would love to line up against an S8 in my Caddy...just for the expression on the guy's face when I beat him!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back