1995 Taurus running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rusty trans pan means the Oil pan, RMS and stuff is not leaking. Ford V8 oil pans do rust out up here. Haven't seen a holed trans pan yet.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
It is making a very, very small difference, this Seafoam product.

I have to tell myself to leave it, and do water pump first.

And I had that syphon once. I hope the hose is long enough!!

I also have empty gallon so you can see how dirty it was.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Add some BG and Lucas to it while your at it. Maybe once .1/2 the ATF is trans additives it will be 'fixed' [as in fixed in gear again].

Settle down. A little knowledge can be dangerous - A little 'maintenance' can also be, as we've seen.

I tried two bottles of Lucas on mine but it didn't do a thing, (added one bottle, drove for a while with no improvement, read the bottle which said "might take two bottles" so added another - no improvement).

I will admit the mistake I made was throwing a lot of additives at mine in a short time because I was desperate for a fix. If I had it to do over again, I would change fluid and filter like I did mine before and then add the Seafoam. After adding the Seafoam in the Advanced Auto parking lot, I went from "I hope I make it home" to "I can't believe how well this is working."

Remember to look for the Seafoam with the RED CAP as both bottles/cans look almost the same.

Once you add the Seafoam trans fix, leave it in for a while. If you add it and start pulling the fluid out, you're removing the Seafoam as well.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Tranny Additives = useless and possibly harmful (with few exceptions).

And the first time a shift is 'different' isn't cause for alarm, if it becomes consistent, then think about fluid/filter changes, firmware updates, or other REAL fixes... not bottles of mystery spoo.

All I can say is it worked wonders in my ailing tranny. It might last another six months and take a dump, but for now, it's working fantastic.

Coolant leaks on 3.0 vulcans are often from the timing chain cover gasket.

Be sure to check for leaks there before pulling the water pump.

If the timing cover gasket is leaking you should probably replace the water pump anyway when you have it apart.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What type of horseless carriage are we talking about here?

This one.

Apparently...
Originally Posted By: "TechnoLoGs"
All it need sis a stupid turn signal lens on driver side.

smile.gif

UPDATE: 28 miles in and sone hours of use later, I am noticing more improvement.

Not dismissing need for trabs drop, but, this is promising.

Use and heat appear to be key. Its getting stronger.

Like Rocky Balboa!

It is making a very, very small difference, this Seafoam product.

I have to tell myself to leave it, and do water pump first.

And I had that syphon once. I hope the hose is long enough!!

I also have empty gallon so you can see how dirty it was.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Add some BG and Lucas to it while your at it. Maybe once .1/2 the ATF is trans additives it will be 'fixed' [as in fixed in gear again].

Settle down. A little knowledge can be dangerous - A little 'maintenance' can also be, as we've seen.

I tried two bottles of Lucas on mine but it didn't do a thing, (added one bottle, drove for a while with no improvement, read the bottle which said "might take two bottles" so added another - no improvement).

I will admit the mistake I made was throwing a lot of additives at mine in a short time because I was desperate for a fix. If I had it to do over again, I would change fluid and filter like I did mine before and then add the Seafoam. After adding the Seafoam in the Advanced Auto parking lot, I went from "I hope I make it home" to "I can't believe how well this is working."

Remember to look for the Seafoam with the RED CAP as both bottles/cans look almost the same.

Once you add the Seafoam trans fix, leave it in for a while. If you add it and start pulling the fluid out, you're removing the Seafoam as well.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This one.

Apparently...

smile.gif

I suggested he get a Volvo instead, didn't listen apparently.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I would have used only TRANSX and nothing else.If that didnt work,change fluid and filter,if that didnt work....buy a rebuilt trans and be ready to change it.

+1

This one.

Apparently...

It does still need that turn signal, QP
wink.gif

:cheers1:
smile.gif

The guy also had a white, 2000 XC in driveway as,well, but the tires blew up and the trans,was dead. Looked lower on one side, too.

I also didnt have the money.

th

This one.

Apparently...

smile.gif

I suggested he get a Volvo instead, didn't listen apparently.

TransX is a good product and I have used it with success in the past, (case in point, back in 1989, I drove an old Chevy Malibu with an ailing tranny all the way from California to Indiana with no problems). The reason, however, that I used Seafoam is because TransX has a stop leak additive. My transmission wasn't leaking. I was afraid that the stop leak additive might swell my 20 year old seals and eventually, I would end up with a leaking tranny. Seafoam Trans Tune says it has no seal swellers.

The can says: "Trans Tune is a conditioner that is NOT a stop leak, does NOT swell or soften seals or O rings and is compatible with all automatic transmissions, power steering and hydraulic systems." (caps in original text).

Front of can says:
"Cleans gum and varnish
Removes Moisture
Auto-Transmission, Power Steering and Rack and Pinion Flush
Smooths Rough and Erratic Shifting in Automatic Transmissions
Cleans and Dries Hydraulics."

Well, as I just PMed you, the TransX is doing what Trans Tune could not!

And it cost half as much, and was a leaky bottle. False advertising!
lol.gif

Seriously, its running real good now.

One more shot of each before keep/sell decision?

TransX is a good product and I have used it with success in the past, (case in point, back in 1989, I drove an old Chevy Malibu with an ailing tranny all the way from California to Indiana with no problems). The reason, however, that I used Seafoam is because TransX has a stop leak additive. My transmission wasn't leaking. I was afraid that the stop leak additive might swell my 20 year old seals and eventually, I would end up with a leaking tranny. Seafoam Trans Tune says it has no seal swellers.

Holy additive Mixture Batman! You've got the dynamic duo of cleaners inside your tranny and they're going "Biff, Pow, Wam" on all that dirty gunk in your tranny innards. Stay close to the "Bat Cave" just in case, but be sure and send up the bat signal as things continue to improve.

One more shot of each before keep/sell decision?

Don't add anything more. Let what is in there do it's thing. Drive it and let the cleaning continue. It might take a little time, just be patient.

I I think there may be a head gasket issue to this car because there is water dripping from the exhaust in small amounts I noticed it when I went to gas up today a small amount of water dripped specifically from the muffler.

I feel that if that was proper water pump and antifreeze and not weak water pump and water it would be smoke
, or perhaps head gaskets steam?

orchid 1 inch circles of water in two places under the exhaust muffler of fully warmed car have some other source like a puddle or fuel?

thinking the right thing to do is to ultimately sell this.

Exhaust contains water vapor and many muffler's have weep holes in them to drain this water out so it doesn't rot it out prematurely.

What engine does this have? 3.0 or 3.8? You may not have a head gasket issue; what you see may be normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back