Did I overfill mower too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently performed an oil change on the Craftsman push mower with a 6.25 B&S engine. The engine will run only for a second and then stall, happened immediately following OCI on first mow. I checked the oil and it's overfilled. Gas is full, plug is good. Engine has maybe 15 hours on it total.

Could the overfill cause a no-run condition?

Had this happen before. Clogged carb jet. Use vice grip to clamp the fuel line shut, pull the carb bowl, clean with carb cleaner, reassembled, you will be good to go.

Dude, 30oz. ??? seriously WAAAAY to much oil for a 6.25 [censored]. You almost DOUBLED the rated capacity.. OOOUUUTTTCCHH

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
changing oil after 15hrs? Just for fun?

It's common(at least on BITOG) for oil to be changed after the first use or approx 5hours...

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Dude, 30oz. ??? seriously WAAAAY to much oil for a 6.25 [censored]. You almost DOUBLED the rated capacity.. OOOUUUTTTCCHH

Where did the OP say it was filled with 30oz???

Originally Posted By: TFBI
Where did the OP say it was filled with 30oz???

My thoughts also, there was a post in this thread where someone mentioned 30 grade oil, maybe he thought 30 oz.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
changing oil after 15hrs? Just for fun?

The manual for my mower with a Briggs Series 300 said to change the oil after the first 10 hours. And sure enough, it came out looking like a melted disco ball. Sparkles everywhere.

I added roughly 18oz, re-checked this morning though and it's almost dead on. Last reading must have shown high due to insufficient settling time. I used 15w40 w/ .5oz of Mos2 for this OCI.

Forgot to mention that it stalled out at the end of the mow, so after about 15 minutes of run time. BTW, I didn't tip the mower on its side, as it has a drain plug.

I didn't change it because of the hours, merely because it had been over 2.5 years since last OCI.

I'll try restarting it later today, it's been sitting for almost 2 days now. I may clean the carb as Nick mentioned as well. Will update, thanks guys.

I recently got a used Toro with a B&S engine. It calls for 18-20oz. Drained it out and found 29oz in it.

Shocked face.

Still, it ran pretty good.

Went and tried to start it today after sitting for 4 days or so, and nada! I'm going to tinker tomorrow. I took the cover off today and the air filter is nasty. Spark plug is dirty but lots of electrode remaining.

So tomorrow I will clean the filter and plug and go from there. If I must clean the carb, is it easy to do? I've never worked on a mower before but it looks pretty straight forward.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lms_carb.asp

use this site to guide you through the process RE: removing the carb bowl for cleaning.

Make sure that you don't damage the carb bowl large black O-ring that seals between the carb base and the bowl lip. If so, you will have to purchase a rebuild kit (or at least that O-ring) in order to make them seal again.

Get some carb cleaner and spray clean the jets, etc. and also clean/rinse the carb bowl to rid of corrosion and debris.

Lastly, get a brand new replacement air filter. No use recycling old one (if it's clogged, it will cause your engine to run rich).

Q.

Thanks for the link Quest.

I performed the "tune-up" this morning and replaced the spark plug and air filter. Also followed above procedure for cleaning the carb. Mower started on second pull and purrs beautifully! Thanks for the help guys. I put 1oz of Lubegard Fuel system booster in the fuel for good measure and will do so with every tank now.

One observation with the carb cleaning; it looked as if the fuel gelled? There was chunky, gelatinous bits resting in the bottom of the bowl. Is that from bad gas, sitting, or?

This experience has motivated me to try getting an Echo weedwacker I have running again. It may just have similar issues. Going to clean the carb, replace filter and plug tomorrow and see what happens.

Feels good to fix things
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back