AutoRx - done it wrong clean phase with Elf Synthetic!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read here that you are supposed to do the clean phase using mineral oil.
I had Elf Excellium Fully synthtic in there and had 1500 miles life in it. I added 8 onz to the oil as prescribed by Frank.

Now reading here, this is not going to do Autorx any good using fully synthetic...

I am trying to clean the ringpacks, do you think I have wasted a bottle of Autorx? Can leaving it in there longer help?

Thanks

If that was my car, I'd run the Auto-Rx for an additional 250 to 500 miles. It still cleans when used with synthetic, but it will take longer, hence the additional mileage.

EDIT: If you got an email from Frank, just follow his instructions. It's his product, he certainly knows it a lot better than me & is a great guy to deal with.

Update- 1000 miles into 1st clean phase.

I have not noticed anything dramtic at the moment. The oil did seem to go very dark, brownish which is normal for oil @ 3500 miles.

Still got another 1000 miles to go before the end of the 1st clean phase.

I just hope the synthetic oil is not ruining the cleaning phase. I still notice the blue smoke on over run and throttle snapped open....

i have read it and studied the forums + asked around, syn is ok as adviced by frank the man.
Looking forward to the next 1000 miles :)

Update at 1200 miles.

Last week I began driving rather spiritedly because got fed up of the oil burning and decided to take the engine to 7500rpm regularly. Yesterday, I noticed there was no more blue smoke at constant high RPM. The engine is much smoother this morning after the 50 mile drive.

Something is happening and something has probably been cleaned out. I am going to change out the oil for a dino rinse end of this month where I reach the 1600-1700 miles mark.

Keep you all posted of filter results and compression figures.
Before it was 195,190,190,195.

quote:

Originally posted by bricheun:
Update- 1000 miles into 1st clean phase.

I just hope the synthetic oil is not ruining the cleaning phase. I still notice the blue smoke on over run and throttle snapped open....

Wouldn't that be more of a crankcase ventilation/breather problem, not leaky rings? Are you sure your PCV/CCV isn't shot?

Craig.

Compression number are nice and even, all between 190 and 195. Perhaps the lower, oil control rings were dirty or stuck and working towards freezing the lower compression rings. In this case you could still have good compression, but poor oil control. The other possibility would be a dirt valve train, namely seals. The good news is the hi revs seemed to accelerate the cleaning process, although may be coincidental. The positive direction will continue through the rinse phase.

1500 miles is up and now the difference in oil colour is very evident. Pull the dipstick out and it is clearly black.

Cleaning was done int he past 500 miles, what I think has happened is the initial 1000 miles has softened the crub, and the final 500 miles of harsh driving has really removed it and disolved in the oil. in about 200 miles time I will remve the oil for some fresh dino rinse phase.

I will post some picks of the oil filter element then...

Just changed the oil to some dino today and cut open the filter. What can i say!!..

The oil is really black with lots of granules at the bottom of the tray.

Sorry no pictures...
but the oil filter was opened and the pleats were filty after 2000 miles. Never have I seen a filter like this. In between the pleats were more granules of stuff which can be disintergrated in between the fingers. i think somehow the valve was opened up because it was basically clogged. I did use a new filter upon adding the AutoRx!

In "filtered" side of the oil filter also had some but not alot of the granules.

I have used another clean filter from a larger car which fits for the clean phase. Now I am using the cheapest dino I could find..SJ rated "big elephant" brand...hahaha...it will be in there for 2000 miles anyway.

Then onto the next clean phase, I believe there is more crud to come out.!!!

I am a believer for sure...

PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!

450 miles into the 1st rinse phase and it began to smoke profusely. It was smoking before but not everytime I accelerated, slowdown and constant highway speeds. I checked the oil level at 0miles over night, it was exactly at top mark. Now after 450 miles, it is 3 mm below the middle. It has used approxiametly 0.5 litres.
It used to used 1 litre/4000-5000 miles.

Please, I am worried to death about the effects noow.

Could it be the oil?

Compression is down alround from 195,190,190,195 to 180,185,180,180 (same testing conditions and temperature)

Previously cylinders 2,3, showed light brown deposits on the spark plug and 1,4 was alot darker. Now 2,3,4 is evenly brown, and 1 is very black..not oily dripping black, but I know oil is burning in that cylinder.

It puffs out blue smoke on gentle throttle , i.e. reversing into the garage.

Anyone please? Before I send it off to a garage ???

I thought Auto-Rx was supposed to heal, not make it worse!!!

Yes, I am 100% certain that the oil has no PAO or Esters. At the price I brought it, it was the cheapest out of the bunch at US$7.5 /4 litres.

SJ rated dino oil.

I changed oil again today to Valvoline 15W40 All fleet. I keep feeling that the previous no brand oil was not doing's job. The oil after 500 miles was very black!

Does it normally smoke during rinse mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back