Top off ATF with only a fill plug....No dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so went to the Toyota dealer to get the ATF so I can change the fluid and filter. The guy told me that’s a metal filter and to clean it out in carb cleaner and it’ll be ready to use again. He also said Toyota uses a “special machine” when filling the transmission, since it’s a fill plug and not a dip stick. He said the fluid is heated then put in the trans.

So, not having a “special machine”, my idea is to check the fluid when the trans is cool, drain, clean the filter, and refill it to that level.

Does anyone have experience with doing that on a ’12 Camry?

Any better way of refilling it? I think if you top it off when cool, it’ll be overfull when it’s at operating temp.

Toyota didn’t have the drain/fill plug metallic washers. I’ll check the parts stores, but if they don’t have them, is there a good substitute?

The Toyota guy tried to talk me out of changing the fluid, (it’s got 15k on it) saying it’ll go 100k, but after reading all the threads, changing it now is the way to go.

Thanks
Lloyd

My wife drives an 07 Camry. Little over 51000 miles and I have not done anything to tranny fluid yet and it runs really fine. If you ask me and I know you did not ask me, I think you are a little premature with the tranny fluid change. Just my 2 cents worth.

I just had the 30k service on my wife's 09 Acadia and had a trans service done even though its not recommended till 100k. It may not have been necessary but our 01 Escape still shifts like new at 195k, after 30k services. I would like for the Acadia to go 200k also.

While I generally believe that over-maintaining something is better than the other way 'round, I also agree that 15K is a little too soon. 30-50K is more reasonable unless you tow or regularly carry a bunch of morbidly obese people.

Maybe their machine heats the fluid up so it goes in faster. Time is money.

If it's the typical type where there's a plug in the side of the tranny and it's full when it oozes out the hole, make sure you're level. Maybe put it on ramps on a complimentary hill.

I have no experience with this platform but in many small GM products we have owned the plug is the correct level, it'll run out when it's full. But many times there is a very specific temperature specification.

Since most slushboxes generat the overwhelming majority of their trash when NEW it seems perfectly logical to change it now.

Filter?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Maybe their machine heats the fluid up so it goes in faster.

It heats up the oil because oil expands and contracts when heated and cooled.

Traditional automatic transmissions account for this expansion by including HOT and COLD marks on the dipstick. Toyotas that use WS fluid have an overflow stack in their pans. This stack works exactly like the one in a toilet tank, except that Toyota's is used to achieve the correct fluid level.

Since the stack has a fixed height regardless of the temperature of the fluid, temperature compensation must be done some other way. And that way is to heat the fluid to a specified temperature before installing it. I am not aware of a home method of working around the temperature thing; Toyota does not want you messing with the transmission fluid yourself.

15K may not be too early for the first change. Remember this is the first change and it'll get rid of a lot of break-in debris.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
15K may not be too early for the first change. Remember this is the first change and it'll get rid of a lot of break-in debris.

MAN!.....This IS a dilemma!.....Kestas has a good point, that I agree with, based on the threads I’ve read on this site. However, Tegger’s point is well taken….It’s almost like “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
The other workaround is to accurately measure the drained ATF and replace that amount.
Unless somebody has a better way, I’ll just leave it go.

My 06 Jeep with the NAG1 transmissiion does not have a dipstick and the ATF level is supposed to be checked by the dealer so they can monitor the ATF temp at the same time.
I have done two fluid changes myself by pumping out the old ATF, carefully measuring it and replacing it with the same amount of new ATF. I do this after the vehicle has been sitting overnight so the old and new ATF are at the same temperature. Works fine for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hsd
My 06 Jeep with the NAG1 transmissiion does not have a dipstick and the ATF level is supposed to be checked by the dealer so they can monitor the ATF temp at the same time.
I have done two fluid changes myself by pumping out the old ATF, carefully measuring it and replacing it with the same amount of new ATF. I do this after the vehicle has been sitting overnight so the old and new ATF are at the same temperature. Works fine for me.

Thanks!......That's what I'm leaning towards....You said you pumped out the old ATF....You didn't drop the pan?...I want to clean the filter.

Lloyd

I have done two fluid changes myself by pumping out the old ATF, carefully measuring it and replacing it with the same amount of new ATF. I do this after the vehicle has been sitting overnight so the old and new ATF are at the same temperature.

That's sort of how I change the fluid in our Tercel. I also make sure old and new fluids are the same temperature.

I have two identical gallon jugs. I drain the fluid (through the drain plug in the pan), and transfer it to the "used" jug. I then place the "new" jug next to the "used", and carefully fill the "new" so that its level is identical to the "used".

Luckily the Tercel has a dipstick hole, so adding the exact amount of new fluid is easy. Pumping new fluid uphill through a fill hole might be less accurate.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
I have done two fluid changes myself by pumping out the old ATF, carefully measuring it and replacing it with the same amount of new ATF. I do this after the vehicle has been sitting overnight so the old and new ATF are at the same temperature.

That's sort of how I change the fluid in our Tercel. I also make sure old and new fluids are the same temperature.

I have two identical gallon jugs. I drain the fluid (through the drain plug in the pan), and transfer it to the "used" jug. I then place the "new" jug next to the "used", and carefully fill the "new" so that its level is identical to the "used".

Luckily the Tercel has a dipstick hole, so adding the exact amount of new fluid is easy. Pumping new fluid uphill through a fill hole might be less accurate.

Thanks Tegger: I think that's what I'll do....let the car set overnight in the garage, then carefully drain and measure the fluid....

Thanks again
Lloyd

There is a fill plug on the side. My Avalon fill plug is under a plastic cover accessible in the fender well. I have changed mine twice now every 15k. You have to use an allen wrench for the drain plug, then use the same wrench to back out the standpipe. Measure the old fluid and add it back. I get right at 2 quarts by lowering the jack to where the brake rotor almost touches the floor. The tranny really likes the new fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tones
There is a fill plug on the side. My Avalon fill plug is under a plastic cover accessible in the fender well. I have changed mine twice now every 15k. You have to use an allen wrench for the drain plug, then use the same wrench to back out the standpipe. Measure the old fluid and add it back. I get right at 2 quarts by lowering the jack to where the brake rotor almost touches the floor. The tranny really likes the new fluid.

Thanks Tones
That's one thing I was wondering about, how much ATF I would drain. Yeah, I found the fill plug on the side...Just need to remove a piece of the cowling and it's right there.
The only downside is you only get about 1/3 of the fluid out....But that's better than nothing.

Lloyd

Originally Posted By: Lloyd_Hanning

Thanks!......That's what I'm leaning towards....You said you pumped out the old ATF....You didn't drop the pan?...I want to clean the filter.

Lloyd
No pan drop yet. I plan to do it at 60k miles. The Jeep doesnt see many highway miles due to the price of gas.

Not sure if this goes for Toyota, but Nissan Auto's that dont have a dipstick need a special hydralic pump and adapter to refill the fluid from the bottom end. Also, the FSM states that the car has to be running and be at the proper temps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back