Best Gasoline!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'd all be better off getting slightly cheaper gas and putting in 1oz/5gal of FP60 or Lucas UCL. Its about 75-85 CENTS for my 15gal tank.

At $3.00 per gallon, the best gas is the cheapest gas! My car runs absolutely the same on any name brand gas. I have filled up at some no-name mom and pop dumpy stations in the middle of nowhere and have noticed more spark knock and worse mileage, but not with name brand gasoline.

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
I think we'd all be better off getting slightly cheaper gas and putting in 1oz/5gal of FP60 or Lucas UCL. Its about 75-85 CENTS for my 15gal tank.

only problem with that is. mostly the cheap stations get their gas form others that refused because of high dirt or water content. so sometimes it pays to spend a few cnets more for better gas.

I just ran a tank of 76 gas in my dakota. my engine has never ran so smooth before. it took away my pinging and rough idle. I wish we had one where I lived. I got this in SC while visiting the inlaws. think exxon is letting their gas slip abit. I am in the market for a new gas company. all we have around here is. BP,shell (will not use in a million years) texaco, hess, and the el cheapo stations (accually seen a station in SC called EL cheapo lol)

What bugs me is the gas companies will advertize they are putting this great fuel additive in, but only in the premium. Why can't they put good additives in the regular fuel?

quote:

Why can't they put good additives in the regular fuel?

why buy the premium then if you get the same additive in the regular? sure it would cost NOTHING to add it to regular but they would not make as many "premium" sales from folks who think the additive does something... i believe a vast majority of cars run on regular, so they have to have something to entice folks to pay more

quote:

Originally posted by jfranks314:
I only buy from the top tier gas providers. See more at:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

These gas providers put additives in all grades or they cannot be top tier.

I buy Shell whenever I can. Dark Jedi why so negative?

well my dad had problems back in the 60's with too much water. he had to drain his tank on his 67 GTO 2 times. I am not going by this but the few times I ran shell in my 95 ranger. it made it run like crap and my 4 banger drank the gas like a 429 big block. so I will never run shell again. also the shell around here are the highest out of all the gas stations.

My Opinion is, buy cheap gas from a station that has lots of business, and add an ounce of FP per 5 gallons. I have no science to back this up in my vehicles, it's just what I started to do.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I've used just about every brand of gas sold around here. My cars run the same, regarless of brand, including the no-name stuff.

What Wayne and Drew said!
cheers.gif
worshippy.gif

If it's a busy place, then price. Never had a single problem with gas.
spaz.gif

Same gas mileage, never took a Fuel injector off a engine I've owned and every one passes smog everytime.

I laugh at Chevron gas stations getting 10+ cents more for their gas.. And even more at the people who buy it..
lol.gif

Gas has gone up 39 cents this week... I was at a stop light about a hour ago and watched the price go from $2.39 to $2.59 at one step!
shocked.gif

Sick..
thumbsdown.gif

Can't wait to see the profits this next quarter..
mad.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

if it keeps going up. going to have to park my V-8 Dakota and walk to work. or get a bike. soon only the really rich or people with hybrids will be driving around. everyone else will be walking throwing stones at them
burnout.gif

Capitalism at it's finest!

Most businesses would LOVE to create a market force that DEMANDS more and more of their product. Then, they can raise the prices as high as the "market" will support...raking in big money. Demand was created partly by the SUV "craze"...and increase in performance is touted by the fuel companies if you use their product. Bigger. Faster. Higher performance. Hemi (or, Pseudo-Hemi is more accurate), etc. And the demand rose higher and higher. Now that we have been hooked, we find a gaff in our gills. Well, we took the bait, and we're paying the price. That's the way a free market works.

Just be glad the Health Care system isn't a free market. Yet. There are some small systems that do cater to those willing to spend more for better care...but, that's getting too polical for this forum.

Just don't throw stones at those that have fuel efficient vehicles...it isn't their fault that the demand is so inflated. Plus, one of them may be me!

Gasoline will vary in different parts of the country. Different formulations (required by EPA) and refineries.

As a side note, the stations are NOW switching over to the "summer" formulation.

I live in farm country so I have my pick of questionable gasoline. Coop, Casey's General Store etc... I stick with Conoco, Phillips 66. If I can't get it there I stoop down a level and go for BP. Everything else around here is a 10% ethanol blend. No thanks, I'm not taking a drop in mileage and performance using that stuff.

quote:

Best Gasoline!?!

Regular 87 octane -- Marathon
Premium 93 octane -- Shell

I never buy mid-grade... basically because it's not a mid grade. Had the gasoliner refiners come out with the direct middle octane between 87-93... that being 90 octane instead of 89, I may have used it on occasion.

I'd have to agree with tanker man's explanation.

Having worked as an intern in an octane/cetane lab for former Texaco in Delaware City back in college, all regular (87) is pretty much the same. The additives are what makes the premium gasolines different (93).

I was amazed when I worked there. You would see all the tankers from different companies loading up at a Texaco Plant. Even though it was Texaco's base fuel, they would add specific additives for premium fuel for the respect companies which made it 'their' distinct brand of premium.

The whole summer I would make 1 liter batches of customers' premium fuels with their designated additive package. We would take a recent batch of base fuel, add the specific additives for a given customer, then run it through the knock engine (termed knock cause it knocks like crazy until you hit the right amount of additive that stops the knocking). You then compute an octane rating.

Sorry I can't be more specific with the testing. It was so long ago, and it was only an internship. Only thing I can say from talking to people at Texaco...Shell, Amoco (BP), Texaco, Sunoco, Chevron were the ones to chose when you need premium. The only one no one seemed to like was Exxon.

As far as regular gases (87 and 91) all being pretty much the same (where the additive level is so minimal it doesn't have a significant impact on performance), your best bet is to go to a station that has a high tank turnover. That way you get fresh gas, relative to Joe's Gas Station in the middle of no where. Good old Joe's has a very high probability of contamination. And belive it or not, bacteria can grow in gas given enough time. It's some smelly stuff, and imagine what a bunch a bacteria can do to your injectors.

I try to buy top tier gas... but if the price differential is high, I buy name brand gas as much as possible, as usually the stations are well kept and this likely means that the tanks and pump filters are too.

The one exception is wawa gas... their turnover is so high, that Im guaranteed to get fesh gas at a good price... especially important for cars neding higher octane, since it doesnt sell as fast. wawa gas (guaranteed to be A-OK for the engine, and guaranteed to have the right amount of adds) with some FP, I figure is good.

IMO the key is to rotate brands, so one additive can clean off a residue that another left, etc. Just because there are additives doesnt mean that the engine will be residue free... each add leaves its own trail.

JMH

I currently have a 2000 VW Jetta 12v VR6 and a 2001 Toyota RAV4 2.0 vvti. The Jetta is supposed to have nothing but 91 octane or better, I believe the Toyota will run 87. So, the question is, what is the best brand gasoline that anyone has used. I have Shell, Sunoco, BP, Speedway, Certified, and all kinds of generic brands close by. These are the only brands I can get here in Grove City...ie..Columbus, OH near by. Thanks..

Coop0129

I don't think you can go wrong with any name brand gas. I personally tend to stay away from the generic gas stations and use Chevron or Shell if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back